Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know but my guess is that they were sold by the roll and even bags to coin dealers who then sold them to collecters. From there they escaped to the wild.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The public can only get half dollars since (after) 2001 in 2-roll P & D sets and 200-coin bags from the U.S. Mint which are sold by the Mint for a premium but some collectors just decide to open them and use them in circulation for whatever reason. The half dollars with S mint marks were sold in proof sets and are either clad (most likely) or silver. You can also get half dollars in mint sets and those coins since 2005 or so are supposed to have a satin finish which is slightly different than the halves sold in rolls and bags but you are less likely to find those halves in circulation.

I find them and keep them too but I've actually found more silver halves than NIFC's over the past couple of years - which is just fine with me. :)

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
there was an article in Coin World that since the Mint was offering the New halves with no shipping charges, people that had credit cards linked to getting free air miles were ordering multiple boxes at at time and dumping to their banks and getting rewarded with air miles. The mint has now capped how many boxes one can order at one time.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found whole sealed rolls of them a few times. It is strange how they get into circulation, because I'm sure when they are released they only go out in those sealed rolls. And whoever buys them probably pays more than $10 for each roll since they aren't meant for circulation. I'm guessing people give them out as gifts by the roll and whoever receives them eventually opens them and spends them in most cases.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this economy, you've also got people who are forced to break open or deposit things like US Mint rolls of NIFC Halves to pay bills and such.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very true leblanc, it's too bad though. I guess it's good for roll hunters such as ourselves though, when people break into those silver rolls and take them to the bank.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I theorize that the Mint is dumping new NIFC coins into circulation.

Have you guys ever priced how much new NIFC half dollars are if you buy them from the Mint? I thought they were very expensive. They are not like buying gold dollars at face...the new halves sell for a crazy premium.

It is my guess that the Mint is dumping the unsold halves into circulation after they sit for a while. How many pallets can the Mint keep of brand new, uncirculated halves?

FWIW, I'd like to add that I have never found a perfect NIFC...everyone of them have had flaws. Makes me wonder if the Mint is dumping any flawed coin into circulation?

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
buffhunter said:
there was an article in Coin World that since the Mint was offering the New halves with no shipping charges, people that had credit cards linked to getting free air miles were ordering multiple boxes at at time and dumping to their banks and getting rewarded with air miles. The mint has now capped how many boxes one can order at one time.

I didn't actually see the article but that is very plausible. Would be like us buying rolls of coins to cull the silver and other collectible coins and then trading back to the bank. We get silver, they get air miles.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't half dollars - it was dollar coins. They're required by law to mint a certain amount, but few people use them, so they're having to pay money to warehouse them. You can still order them with free shipping, but they no longer take credit cards. I get them so I can cherry-pick gem examples and then spend the rest to get them circulating.

They only mint half dollars to satisfy numismatic demand, though it's possible there is some surplus of those also.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wiffo - when you get the boxes are they all only one president or are they mixed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread