timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed a hunt yesterday, I have a little money to hunt with before I pay bills, so I figured I'd get out and try to find some goods.
I went to 5 or 6 banks, bought $150 in dimes( skunk) $580 in halves, a little bit of it was loose. And I managed to find a roll of large dollars. The first large dollar roll I've found in about 2 years.

results
Halves
1 nifc 2002
1 40%

Dimes-
Nothin

Large dollars-
72 high relief modified
Silver proof Ike 40% silver
1935 british crown, 50% silver from what I've found online. Really nice coin.

I will try and get some pics up soon, won't be able to till at least tomorrow. I'm going to try and get another hunt in tomorrow also.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
nice score with the dollar coins. I've noticed too about some of the Ike's having really high relief eagle's on the reverse and I was thinking of posting to get some opinions about it because I don't know if some of these coins might have some added value. But you can really tell a difference in some of the Ike dollars - I've got some that have really high relief eagles on reverse. It's kind of amazing how different they can look from coin to coin. Some look like a different kind of strike or die or something but some of the eagles are really raised off the coin and it looks kind of cool - esp if the coin is in nice condition.

And I have never found a silver Ike yet myself and the only foreign big dollar coin I've ever found was a 1965 comm. Churchill that I dont even think is an official coin and it's only clad but when I checked ebay these coins were selling for a couple of dollars so I figure it's a keeper.

Congrats on the finds. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys, it was a decent score indeed.

Silverface, the High relief modified is actually an error with the small earth on the reverse side, I'm not sure why it's called a high relief. But you can do some research on them online, that's how I found out about it. I've found maybe 7 or 8 of these in the last year and a half. In my book they are listed at $40. Then there is another error like it, but slightly different that is worth up to $160. I'm not sure how to spot it though, but i do have several variants of the earth error. So I might have the more valuable error, I've kept all of them just in case.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score and nice hit on the ike, wish you luck tomorrow :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
ok - I didn't realize those were called high relief - I thought those coins were just types or varieties. So what's the deal with these "high relief" coins like I described above that have the eagles that are raised off the surface of the coin? I've been curious about these coins because I've found several of them lately and they sure look different than most of the Ike's I've found. Have you ever found any of these and do you know if they have any added value?

Maybe Ike's were just struck so diferently from coin to coin and these different kinds of strikes are just rather common - but it sure seems odd. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks miner.

Silverface,
I know there are quite a few errors with Ikes, though I'm not sure about the eagle one's. It probably depends on the year. I only know about the earth errors, but you are right, they are more of a variant or varietyof the coin. But they are still an error, it's really kinda confusing. But I wouldn't doubt it if there is an eagle error also, I'll try and research it. I will let you know if I can find anything. Do u have pictures of them?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry I don't have a camera right now but I was just looking over some of the Ike's I have and maybe what I'm referring to is just mainly because of the wear and condition of the coin. Maybe they all have this type of high relief strike on reverse when they are minted but it just gets worn down from circulation so when I find some that are in nicer condition they just look so different from the others. :dontknow:

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, that is very possible.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you said, they aren't errors, but varieties. Changes were made to the designs a couple of times. That's why they are different. Some varieties weren't used as much, thus less coins minted. That's why the difference in value.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread