"Sound test" to determine if 1982 penny is Copper or not?

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Sound test" to determine if 1982 penny is Copper or not?

I do not collect copper pennies, but I would say forget the little bit of 1982 pennies you get, and just hand-sort the pre 1981 pennies for 100% accuracy. Hope this helps!

byzanthia

Oct 8, 2011
north Dallas
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, you can use the sound test. Some people have trouble with it though, but grab an >82 and an <82 penny, and drop them a few times. You'll hear the difference and can use it as a reference for the 82. Copper has a lower frequency when it drops. There are some videos on youtube for determining penny composition by sound that you can look at as well.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

I think the most reliable way is to just weigh them. I don't even bother with the 82s anymore, its too much work for me.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008

azlegends said:
I think the most reliable way is to just weigh them. I don't even bother with the 82s anymore, its too much work for me.

Really...skip a thousand of them and you are out $10 :icon_scratch:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

The Ryedale doesn't look at dates, so all the 1982s will go to the correct side, without you haveint to deal with them.

get the ryedale!

:-)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Of course, you should also check the reverse of '82 Philly issues for the doubled die reverse. It will be on zincoln issues.

Also, keep in mind that the switchover in composition didn't occur until October. The majority of the mintage was already complete resulting in a greater ration of copper to zincoln.

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you flick the penny in the air with your thumb like your calling heads/tails with a coin, it's 100% accurate. Copper rings and Zinc is a dud.

Just finished my first box! :icon_thumright:

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

Flicking in the air works, or dropping it on a glass or metal surface! dont skip! or just have a nice pocket scale handy

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

I weigh my 1982s, I'd say about 75% are copper. I was not able to to hear the differenece and I think weighing is faster. My scale cost me $8 on amazon.com.

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

I would say almost 80% of the 82's are copper. For an $8.00 to $10.00 investment, get a scale and weigh them. if you decide to go big time into pennies, get a Ryedale.

Hopper39

Oct 1, 2011
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gilmore Happy said:
If you flick the penny in the air with your thumb like your calling heads/tails with a coin, it's 100% accurate. Copper rings and Zinc is a dud.

Just finished my first box! :icon_thumright:

bingo.

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008

When I saved 82s I did it by sound. They have a distinctive ring. However I have stopped saving them. It's not worth the time to sort them.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I started using my pocket scale for pennies this weekend and it has already paid for itself.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Use a metal detector like I do. Many metal detectors with discrimination capabilities can tell the difference between zinc and copper pennies. Who the heck wants to sit around date checking or weighing every single penny they touch? Short of a ryedale, using a metal detector is the fastest and least error prone way to sort pennies. I pick up a penny, run it across the coil, and dump into the appropriate pile. I don't check the date, flip it, or even really look at it. I can do it with my eyes closed.

If you want a cheap detector that works great for sorting cents, go out to Hobby Lobby's web site and order the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV detector. It is a two tone machine that gives you a low tone for zincs and a high tone for coppers. It normally costs $99 but Hobby Lobby has a coupon for 40% off one item making the machine $59.40. Not only is it a great manual penny sorter, but it is also a decent all around starter detector for hunting parks and dry sandy beaches.

Bayman

Feb 21, 2010
Chesapeake Bay VA.
Detector(s) used
Whites XL PRO

I throw all 82's in the keep pile. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will matter to the smelter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions