Canadian box of pennies

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I bought a box of pennies along with a box of dimes which I already posted the results, it only had one silver in it. The pennies produced 5 George VI pennies, 0 wheats >:( , 3 new pennies from england, a 1975 trinidad and tobago penny and an asian coin. The dates of the George VI are as follows.
Out of the whole box i think about 40% of it was copper and I got about 150 american cents. This is my first box of pennies in about 6 weeks, I think the results could have been better but its still not bad.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
too bad about the 0 wheats but the 5 George VI pennies and the 40% copper sure sounds good to me. :)

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Canadian Guy,

How often do you find King George V cents? We have found 3 from 62 Boxes of cents. The most King George VI we have found in one box is 4. We often find about 60 Canadian cents per box.

Gordon and Tanner
Keep on Searching

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Want to know what a box of quarter will give.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
Yinzi50 said:
If you are looking for silver then absolutely positively NOTHING >:(

Enh, that is no fun! What about Nickel box? Do you have something made of silver like US "War Nickel".

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
gordon and tanner said:
Hey Canadian Guy,

How often do you find King George V cents? We have found 3 from 62 Boxes of cents. The most King George VI we have found in one box is 4. We often find about 60 Canadian cents per box.

Gordon and Tanner
Keep on Searching
First I would like to say I enjoy reading your posts. What years are the ones you have. In mid July I found a 1920 George V in a box, it was my first. That is really the only one I found which wasn't cheating. In early september someone brought in a small collection which my bank set aside for me. There was a roll of "odd" pennies as it was labeled and it had 10 George V pennies in it along with 25 wheats, 10 George VI along with 5 early lincoln memorial cents. So it is extremely rare for me to find George V coins of any denomination from the bank, it sometimes amazes me how often americans find such old canadian coins I have been unable to find my self. What part of the country are you in where Canadian coins are so common?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have trouble getting rid of american cents up in canada? do you keep them?

Here, 10 hours from Canada, I average 8 pennies per $25 box. I just keep any foreigns i get my hands on(mainly canadian), some barbados pennies, some bahamian.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yinzi50 said:
That Canadian Guy said:
Yinzi50 said:
If you are looking for silver then absolutely positively NOTHING >:(

Enh, that is no fun! What about Nickel box? Do you have something made of silver like US "War Nickel".
In Canada the modern nickel design was not silver. It used to be smaller than a dime and made out of silver before 1921, then in 1922 they became the size they are today and made from pure nickel until 1982, pure nickel coins are worth about 8 cents so when I buy a box of nickels I look for pre 1982 and anything with a king on it, I also keep my american nickels. I will post the details of Canada's war coinage tomorrow.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
Do you have trouble getting rid of american cents up in canada? do you keep them?

Here, 10 hours from Canada, I average 8 pennies per $25 box. I just keep any foreigns i get my hands on(mainly canadian), some barbados pennies, some bahamian.
I keep all of my American coins. American coins in Canada are as good as Canadian coins, you get them in your change, you spend them, you take them to the bank and so on. It is nothing like America where you have trouble getting rid of Canadian coins. The next time I visit America I intend to bring about $150 in US coins that I have just stockpiled over time, seeing as the USD is worth more than the CAD I will profit.

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I have always had a soft spot for Canadian coins. I grew up in Detroit and used to get George VI's of en. I have a few George V's as well. During my last visit to Detroit I got two George VI's in change from Starbucks :hello2:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
BuffaloBoy said:

I keep all of my American coins. American coins in Canada are as good as Canadian coins, you get them in your change, you spend them, you take them to the bank and so on. It is nothing like America where you have trouble getting rid of Canadian coins. The next time I visit America I intend to bring about $150 in US coins that I have just stockpiled over time, seeing as the USD is worth more than the CAD I will profit.
a while back i got a 1929 canadian penny in a roll of pennies.

I like CAD as well, whenever I visit my dump bank, they give me the coins off the magnet, and since canadian coins are magnetic, I have nearly $20 in CAD saved up since May. ;D

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1947 Canadian penny this morning. Just sayin'. I've got about four rolls of Canadian copper in the last couple of months. I keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread