Super Cool Penny Box Find!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After roughly 150 penny boxes, I finally found a blank planchet! The box itself was pretty unspectacular with only 7 common date wheats but with about 10 rolls left a blank zincoln planchet pops out of the roll! This is the coolest error coin I have ever found and it is definitely going in the 'keeper' pile.

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool! great find, i've never found any blanks yet.

Congrats!

HH
Bigheed

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
$ilver$urfer said:
After roughly 150 penny boxes, I finally found a blank planchet! The box itself was pretty unspectacular with only 7 common date wheats but with about 10 rolls left a blank zincoln planchet pops out of the roll! This is the coolest error coin I have ever found and it is definitely going in the 'keeper' pile.

HH,

Nice find SS! I've only done about 15 boxes of cents (do mostly halves) but I've never found a nice error yet. I did find a flying eagle though in my first box! I ave about 29% copper and 15 or so wheats/box. What are averaging? I've gotten the impression in the past that you are in the same area as me, WNY.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mentalvirus said:
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

Nice find SS! I've only done about 15 boxes of cents (do mostly halves) but I've never found a nice error yet. I did find a flying eagle though in my first box! I ave about 29% copper and 15 or so wheats/box. What are averaging? I've gotten the impression in the past that you are in the same area as me, WNY.

WOW, Flying Eagle in your first box!!! Amazing!!! I average about 12.5 wheats per box with a record of 32 in one box and the copper is anywhere from 25-35% with most being 28-32%. Yes, I am in the western recesses of the former great state of NY as well. :tongue3: I'd like to take a short drive over to Ohio and start pulling some of their half boxes to see what turns up! :thumbsup:

HH,

mentalvirus

Aug 7, 2011
Man, I do a ton of travel for work (in AL now) and on my last job in OH 3 of the 4 trips back and forth I made pretty much full day road trips. I don't have the exact numbers on me right now but I hit just over 70 rual/small town banks looking for halves. I picked up close to 2500 dollars I believe, along with 250 in ikes. One bank with 60 in cwr gave up 9 40's, one bank had a loose one in the tray and anoth that gave 300 in searched marked rolls gave up a silver 'S' bicentennial! It was really tough huntin down there, I expected to do better for sure. Maybe I just had bad luck but I've had enough of OH lol. If the boxes are anything like the cwr, I wouldn't bother!

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mentalvirus said:
Man, I do a ton of travel for work (in AL now) and on my last job in OH 3 of the 4 trips back and forth I made pretty much full day road trips. I don't have the exact numbers on me right now but I hit just over 70 rual/small town banks looking for halves. I picked up close to 2500 dollars I believe, along with 250 in ikes. One bank with 60 in cwr gave up 9 40's, one bank had a loose one in the tray and anoth that gave 300 in searched marked rolls gave up a silver 'S' bicentennial! It was really tough huntin down there, I expected to do better for sure. Maybe I just had bad luck but I've had enough of OH lol. If the boxes are anything like the cwr, I wouldn't bother!

Thanks for the update, maybe I'll stick to NY! Your job sounds fun and seems to allow you to hit up a lot of banks along your way! I bet you've had some killer scores along the way too :thumbsup:!!!

HH,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread