Todays fun cent box finds - 1972 doubled die and a George V

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
Today's fun cent box finds - 1972 doubled die and a George V

Not nearly as fun as the 1909VDB from the last box, but i managed to find my first 1972 doubled die. And also my oldest Canadian cent - 1936.
Results:
30% copper
11 Wheats, oldest 1925.

Attachments

• 1972DDOa (800x234).jpg
    1972DDOa (800x234).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 716
  • george.jpg
    george.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 0

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Re: Today's fun cent box finds

Wow nice finds that 1936 Canadian is great they have some bueatiful cents I havent found one of those since childhood 40+ years ago

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's fun cent box finds - 1972 doubled die and an old George V

i live the DD! so nice man good job

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

either the lighting is great or that 1936 is in great shape nice clear and sharp.

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England

ckrakowski said:
either the lighting is great or that 1936 is in great shape nice clear and sharp.

That's exactly what it looks like. i love my camera :icon_thumleft:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Today's fun cent box finds - 1972 doubled die and a George V

Nice eye on the '72. It is a shame that it is in rough condition. If you can, provide photos of the date and Liberty so others know what to look for.

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England

Diver_Down said:
Nice eye on the '72. It is a shame that it is in rough condition. If you can, provide photos of the date and Liberty so others know what to look for.

Yeah, it's not a pretty coin. When I'm going through a box, i make a pile of 1972s to check when i'm done. There are so many nice shiny '72s that i find, but it figured the cruddy one has the DD. But it's still an exciting find, I'd never found a doubled die of any type of coin before.

This is the page that I've been using as a reference:
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/
I pretty much stick to the top 10 to keep an eye out for - there are WAY too many other errors if i looked for them all, it would take me days to go through a box!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

synapse said:
Diver_Down said:

Yeah, it's not a pretty coin. When I'm going through a box, i make a pile of 1972s to check when i'm done. There are so many nice shiny '72s that i find, but it figured the cruddy one has the DD. But it's still an exciting find, I'd never found a doubled die of any type of coin before.

This is the page that I've been using as a reference:
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/
I pretty much stick to the top 10 to keep an eye out for - there are WAY too many other errors if i looked for them all, it would take me days to go through a box!

Indeed. The LCR is a great site, but you might also find some supplemental information at Koinpro.tripod.com. The site is administered by Ken Potter. I've compiled my own checklists that I use.

By the way, you can add the '66 DDR to your checklist. It shows clockwise doubling on all lettering on the reverse including the FG and monument. A second example has recently been reported and confirmed by Ken Potter. This second example is 15 years after the first one that has been reported. This second find was out of circulation coins. Ken Potter has written an article in the latest issue of Numismatic News regarding the find.

ibuildcircuits

Aug 15, 2011
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice DDO! And I love how sharp and clear the Canada cent is!! Great box! What else did you get from the box?

OP
OP
synapse

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England

ibuildcircuits said:
Nice DDO! And I love how sharp and clear the Canada cent is!! Great box! What else did you get from the box?
Thanks. Other than those two, found just a few common wheats and a bunch of newer canadian cents (as usual). The weird thing is that I grew up near Detroit, which is just across the river from Canada, so canadian coins were very common to get in change - but i don't remember ever seeing an old canadian cent like that one ...so that was a good find for me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread