Credit Union Teller Refuses To Let Me Dump My Coins There!

CoinJammer1

Greenie
May 16, 2011
a few weeks ago at my FORMER credit union dump bank, I was about to dump $25.00 worth of pennies (Zinc ones) when I saw a lady dump some coins... When I got up to the front of the line, She told Me that the coin counter was BROKEN! ??? I immediately knew that this was a lie because of the smirk on her face... For some reason, Credit Unions have always been rather rude to me! >:(. I told her that I just saw a lady dump some coins. she said: "Well, it's not open to you, you come here too often." This was an outrage! I closed my account with them and then I told them I would take my business elseware! What should I have done? Did I do the right thing? Comments welcome. :D

Thanks For reading- Coinjammer1

P.S. I opened an account with a bank with a self-service coin counter which has been nice to me ever since.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would have spoken to the manager of the branch to inform them that "leslie" or whoever the teller's name was, won't let you return coins.

if they tell you they cannot refuse your coins, i would have a nice 10 boxes of pennies to dump on them!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, CU's can be funny that way...I honestly believe I'm the only member that uses my CU's self-serve counter, because in 3+ years I have never seen anyone else use it.
How much in your account? You don't have to give a dollar amount, but if it is near the minimum, they might find you a bother, like that should really matter.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
That seems very odd... Especially for only dumping $25 in cents. I can understand if you are dumping a few thousand in halves every week, but $25 in cents is a tiny amount.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
If one dumped twice a week at a CU, would that be considered often?

I dump once a week at most at a single branch.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I wouldn't end a relationship with a bank or credit union over one encounter with a teller. You need to find out what the manager thinks and if other tellers are going to act the same way. If the manager is against you than closing your account is all you have left.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on your relationship with your bank. To be honest at my dump bank back home I usually dump 3-5 times per week.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
MIhunter said:
I wouldn't end a relationship with a bank or credit union over one encounter with a teller. You need to find out what the manager thinks and if other tellers are going to act the same way. If the manager is against you than closing your account is all you have left.

+1

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
as i have joined many banks with machines i try to take it ez at a branch that looks tired of taking coins. I often ask when they dont look happy of what is ok to do. Of course having about 2 dozen machines within 45 mins of my house helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions