TD Penny Arcade short counting incident......! What do I do?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight I was rushing to the Penny Arcade over at TD around 7:58PM to deposit coins, $77.26, 5 rolls halves, 4 rolls dimes, other chumps.

The receipt gave me $61.73, it short counted me $15.53!! I checked the reject tray and the metal tray, no coins. I was thinking to myself, "damn this arcade couldnt be that wrong since it was almost always right before." I counted the coins over Sunday but I wasnt sure at the time due to rushing.

I cashed and left with a receipt. I went home and found the coin break downs, called the branch (still open inside after 8PM), to inform the mishap, the rep said once I left the branch there is nothing TD can do. The Arcade did went out of service since Sunday until Tuesday afternoon, maybe thats why.

I read somewhere in this forum before that TD can always count the coins later and credit the difference if there is indeed a overage.

Anyways, I am heading there first thing at 7:30am to speak to a supervisor about it.

Any advice for these kind of incidents?

Upvote 0

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you have extra money to spend, just start sending your coinage in in those bags to be counted. sure, it takes a few days, but it's accurate. I'm a college kid and dont have much money to spare to do that, so I choose the road of rolling every single coin. :-\

HH,
Cody.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cody, unfortunately in TD Bank, they only take coins from the Penny Arcade, nothing else.

I am going to other banks with rolls now.

sliver64

May 26, 2011
One tip a teller taught me with those TD machines is to always press "MORE" once all the coins are in the machine. Sometimes you can hear the rest of your coins drop and it continues counting.
Also, try to put dimes in separately because they are so small they get mixed into other bags and counted as pennies. ???

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya i've heard other people say the same thing about dimes counted as pennies, makes sense to do those separate.

I would also bring up the discrepancy right away while you are in the bank, it does make it harder once you have already left and not dealt with it in person.

That's why I love the coin lock bags so much (and we dont have counters at any bank in LA) they give u cash and the bag is sent off to the professional facility.

Bigheed

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahsq,
I use TD and have a good relationship with all the folks at my dump branch. I've gotten pretty familiar with "Penny" the coin counting machine.

Since I dump in large volume the crew knows that they need to pull Penny out to change bags when I come in. Sometimes halves get stuck under the circular disk in the machine. If you are getting shorted, I'd bet that is where it's going. I've seen over a dozen halves in that location at a time. Also, you should be careful to check the reject tray. The half bag sits on that sometimes and the rejects can get backed up in the tray. You may want to ask if they can open the machine to confirm that the reject chute is open.

I agree that dumping dimes is "risky" from my experience they do sometimes get counted as pennies and that can add up pretty quickly.

I agree that if you think you have been shorted you need to say something while you are in the branch. I don't comment if it's a reasonable shortage, since I'm dumping in large volume -- they know if they come up over on halves that they are probably shorting me -- they try to make it right while I'm in by rolling all the coins they clear from the machine into my count when there are some in the reject chute.

Hang in there with TD and build a friendship with the crew.

Best wishes,
Steve

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
One thing to do is just dump pennies there.

Nothing wrong with a penny getting counted as a dime or nickel

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys, I was going over my head with the dumps at TD, They said they'd check the amount with me after they get the confirmation from their counting company. 4-6 weeks.

I guess I am SOL.

O well, Im going to dump halves and nickels with them now.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I dump 2 to 4k a week at TD. I dump dimes, halfs and quarters. I never mix up the coins. I have had miss counts up to $860 bucks. But i always told the teller when i was in the bank. The two times I was shorted, the money was found by the counting service, and credited to my account with in ten days. Once you leave its a done deal, and if you start to dump large amounts you will have to let a little go now and then, its just a part of the game. HH

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use TD Bank as my dump bank. The best advice I can give you is what the other folks said. Advise the teller right away. They can check the machine especially the reject tube to look for your missing coins. Also make sure they take your information & they will have it checked out when they ship the coins out. I takes a week or two but you can than check with the bank to see what happened with the count. They will let you know what they found out.
Good luck
HH

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
How do these coin machines work anyhow? I always go in knowing how much I am dumping. Do the coins go into the bags and thats it with them. Everytime they come back and tell me the total it is always right.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
When that happens to me [nowadays] i politely and firmly insist i was shorted untill they say they will count the bags and refund my money. Please note as mentioned b4 , dumping dimes in machines will lead to problems and NEVER DUMP DIMES AT TD. Please refer to caps for advice on what not to do. I recently decided in any machine to not mix dimes with anything.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quiksilver said:
When that happens to me [nowadays] i politely and firmly insist i was shorted untill they say they will count the bags and refund my money. Please note as mentioned b4 , dumping dimes in machines will lead to problems and NEVER DUMP DIMES AT TD. Please refer to caps for advice on what not to do. I recently decided in any machine to not mix dimes with anything.

Ditto.

I stop dumping dimes at any banks, not just TD's, based on my personal experience. Dimes are always troublesome. They get miscounted as pennies very easily.

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coinstar at Stop & Shop shorted me two halves last week. Took a lot of complaining, but the manager opened the machine and gave me my two halves that had ended up in the internal dust tub, along with an extra half already in there.

I think I'm going to stop using that Coinstar with halves. Something's gone wrong most of the time.

wildwill2002

Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always say something before you leave. I once cashed in a box of dimes and was shorted 20 bucks so I told the teller that I knew it was off but didn't make a fuss about it. Later that night, I got a pleasent surprise when I found an extra $120 was deposited in my bank account. I called up to see where the money came from and tt turned out that the machine had been miscounting all day and they gave me all the extra cash since I was the only one who said something. I feel a little bad knowing that most of that money wasn't mine but there really is no way of knowing whose it actually is and when that happens, "finders, keepers" is the legal precedent.

jerseyjunkie

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2008
Bridgewater, nj
Detector(s) used
DFX
I was at TD today....$27 profit. I always know how much I have to count and tell them. They are great about it. It also helpd to see the same teller each time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions