Share your dumping habits, Ill start...

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Share your dumping habits, I'll start...

I use a small plastic flat tool to unwrap coins, it looks like this but plastic:
e_9sa3xk165133_0.jpg

It preserves the roll of coin without destroying it, just uncrimping one end. I recrimp the edges of every roll but recently I started leaving a lot of the edges open for easier coin dumping at my primary coin-counting dump bank. Anymore I always reroll my coins but sliding them back into the same roll whilst checking dates. Primarily I dump at a certain local/national bank with self-serve coin counters that count up to 500/bag. Secondarily I hand in rolls to Wells Fargo to give my dump bank a break some weeks. WF usually asks if they're fed wrapped which I always respond yes lol, since I recrimp the endges. And I always save like 30-50$ per box per week just for TD, to check the magnet heh. I recently upped my bankroll so I can do 3-4 boxes per week instead of 1-2. I pick up on two different days and sometimes I dump twice a week to be able to buy more coins, at 3 different banks, over at least 6 locations. I pick 2 locations each dump but I spread it over those 6. They're usually on my way to pick up coins or to work.

When I dump my primary bank I dump ~450$ hoping not to fill the bag. I always bring the box it was packed in the original box for transport and carrying purposes. They're all recrimped if I plan to take them to WF like I said before but I'll leave the roll ends open on the rolls aimed towards my primary dump.

I didn't re-read this so I'll check for spelling/grammar errors later.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Share your dumping habits, I'll start...

first I make sure there a good bit of TP left on the roll , and that theres some reading material about just in case it might take awhile :D :icon_thumright:

byzanthia

Oct 8, 2011
north Dallas
Primary Interest:
Other

I dump $200-$250 per bank. I only dump at Well's Fargo since they have a lot of branches... the bad part is it takes 10+ days to get it credited to my account. None of them accept it rolled, so I just toss the (unlabeled) box I bring in into one of their lok bags for counting at their central location. I work full-time so can only dump about 1500 per week visiting a different branch on the way to work each day.

There's one Capital One near me with the best coin counting machine ever... it's a "de la rue" brand and goes through $500 in halves in ten seconds flat. I dump $250 in halves there twice a week... once on a weekday and once on Saturday, to avoid being in there too often and being cut off. That counter is the best though... if every bank had one of those I could increase my weekly volume by at least 500%.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my girlfriend does the dumping. i just carry the weight:)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I try to spend as many half dollars as I can.

This week alone, I spent nearly $375 in halves. This is a higher than average week. I generally spend $220 to $300 in halves each week.

The more I am able to spend at retail = less I have to dump = the less I make the tellers mad.

I try to rotate my dumps between several dump banks so I don't wear out my welcome as much. My favorite dump bank has a very, very high usage of their coin machine, and they don't mind me dumping like the other banks do. This dump bank is out of the way, but I am going to use them more often, especially if I can up my volume.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Generally, I just unwrap the rolls and put the rejects into a coffee can, or a bag then take the bag to the bank to be counted.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I uncrimp one end of my Brink's halves, edge and date check, stuff them back in the rolls and flatten the open end like you would any other roll of coins. I dump my halves at my CU adjacent to my work site.
Pennies (Zincolns) and dimes, I dump at my dump bank in town (approx. 25 miles from CU mentioned above), they have a coin counter in the back room.
I have done $200-$300 in nickels the last year or so, took the keepers out, rerolled the rest and put them in an undislosed location. Until recently, the melt value was around 7 cents.
I CRH sporadically so I really don't have a routine as far as days I dump or how much per week/month.

HH,
Legend

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually shortly after I wake up and have had my first cup of coffee.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a very thought out process. My CU only allows $100.00 dollars a day for free in their coin counter, anything above $100.00 a day is charged at 4% as a fee.

I have three cartons out when I search a box. $100.00 dollars goes into each of the two cans, the remaining amount goes into
the third. My wife takes one of the $100.00 cans and I take the other two. I dump the $100.00 can at the CU, wife dumps hers
at the CU in the evening, I then dump the $300.00 dollar can at a bank that has a coin counter but no limit. I do this because I
do not want to wear out my welcome.

Haven't had a problem in over a year except when my wife starts complaining about having to stop at the CU on her way home. At that point, I know next week it will take two days to get rid of the $500.00 as I will have to make two trips to the CU.. :laughing7:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

I dump all coins (a 2-3 thousand dollars a week) at a local bank that has a free coin counter in lobby. There a 3 branches that I use depending where I am that day. I dump almost every day, they are open 7 days a week and on holidays (labor day etc). All I have at that bank is a $100 savings account. So far no complaints.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On Fridays I pick up $100 in pennies from US Bank. On Tuesdays I dump half of the Zincolns at USB and then I dump the other half at USB on Thursdays. USB won't take rolled coin so I don't have to reroll. ;D For halves and quarters I only pick up a few rolls at a time and make sure that I don't dump them where I got them.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coin lock bags to the merchant window, 2-3k per dump bank (i have about 8 diff locations). Everyday I am dumping 4-6k in coins except sundays, and mondays is usually lighter than normal since I dont get much to pickup Saturdays.

Bigheed

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011

Pick up the box. Go thru it, edge search if it is dimes. Or date search if it is nickels. Only 2 that I can afford to do right now. Put the keepers aside and the rest in bags. Then whatever I take out I replace out of my pocket change jar. So when I dump it at the bank it comes to what I had originally. Like I search $100 in nickels, remove $2. So I put back $2 worth etc. Dimes I will look thru again closely not at dates but just to see if anything foreign or notable by a quick look.
Coins all go in bags and then I dump them at my bank which takes loose coins.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

re-crimp and dump at teller window ($100 to $300) + loose coins (~$50) at TD bank.

triplejway

Jul 11, 2011

I fill up a canvas bag with $800-$1,000 and make about 2 stops per week at a self service counter. All my dump locations have the 'De La Rue' machine mentioned previously. That thing is a beast, halfs hold up to $1,000, counts it in a couple of minutes and has always been accurate.

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I open the roll in such a way I don't damage it beyond use, Edge search and date search. I retape the rolls and put in a big canvas bag. I take 1k at a time to various branches(mostly CU's) and get the cash and go get two more boxes. Rinse and Repeat. I have to reroll EVERYTHING I hunt...I envy all of you with coin counters in the lobby. I did two boxes of halves today but they were skunk city. 8 more boxes for tomorrow. :icon_thumright:

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT

This is my weekly routine:

1. Get a 1K bag of halves. Mostly edge check, stack and roll by hand. Dump at 2-3 locations so as not to wear out my welcome. They want them re-rolled.

2. Get 2x $250.00 boxes of dimes (just started this; I used to get another $500 box of halves, see above) and edge check. I think I'm going to re-roll these too, as I'd feel foolish dumping coin in original wrappers> :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

3. Get 2x $25.00 boxes of cents. RYEDALE, BABY. Dump Zincolns (loose) at the only bank that will take them without re-rolling. I used to dump halves there, but they said I could bring them in loose. I made them a deal to NOT bring them halves, if I could have the same agreement on cents. I'd rather re-roll halves than cents. I can roll a 1K bag of halves in less than 1.5 hours, including searching. I used to do a lot more cents, but one of my pickup banks got weird on me, and wanted to charge $6.50 per box of cents. They're now one of my half dump banks.

YMMV

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread