Help planning my CRH trip

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have been hoping to take a Coin Roll Hunting road trip for sometime now. I plan on going from Akron OH to Pittsburgh Pa. Probably going to be able to muster up around $2500 to work with. I am hoping to find a few of those old forgotten roles of pure silver :wink: . If you have any advice Id take it. I was thinking dimes and havles, I dont want to go out and buy a ton of dimes or halves and have no money left for other banks. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
If you have enough "instant cash" dump banks, there is no problem with cash outlay.
Simply buy, dump, repeat.

Keep on Rollin' !

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TCOZY13 said:
Hey guys, I have been hoping to take a Coin Roll Hunting road trip for sometime now. I plan on going from Akron OH to Pittsburgh Pa. Probably going to be able to muster up around $2500 to work with. I am hoping to find a few of those old forgotten roles of pure silver :wink: . If you have any advice Id take it. I was thinking dimes and havles, I dont want to go out and buy a ton of dimes or halves and have no money left for other banks. Thanks for the advice.

My only advice is to not pass up halves early in your trip trying to avoid running out of money later in the day. My goal when on a road trip is to "spend" every dollar in my pocket. You very well might find that you end the day with money left in your pocket and wondering what you passed up. As Piledriver mentioned, if possible and necessary you can dump along the way.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
This seems like a pretty big trip just for CRHing - especially your first big /organized hunt. If you plan on stopping at every bank you can along 76, there's no way you'll make it to PA in 1 day, much less to Pittsburgh.

Not trying to discourage, just reminding you that even though you could easily drive there in a couple hours, driving and stopping at banks along the way, by the time you get to PA it'll be closing time for the banks...

Is this a multi day trip? Do you have some other primary reason for going to Pittsburgh?

Attachments

• OH-PA.jpg
    OH-PA.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,236
OP
OP
TCOZY13

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahha pennies... And yes my grandfather is sick so I am taking a weekend off of classes and visiting him and family. Im not trying to stop at every bank. I was posing this question to see if you had better success in small forgotten towns? Just trying to get a feel for it, Its happening in two weeks. And Im not sure about dump banks, I think I could just re roll them and leave them off in PNC (a popular pittsburgh bank which I have an account with). Just looking for tips and suggestions, thanks!

F

Farchaus2k

You could donate them to the Pirates. They could use the money.

OP
OP
TCOZY13

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farchaus2k said:
You could donate them to the Pirates. They could use the money.
Or better management who can draft and keep talent. Looks like Ill just have to suffer watching the steelers and penguins :wink:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Save the dimes for the end of the trip or not at all. While they are getting you dimes it takes time. Time better spent looking for halves. Besides if you find a large cache of halves you might run out of money.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
TCOZY13 said:
. . . better success in small forgotten towns?
That's my recommendation. Don't forget to ALWAYS ask if they would sell you halves from their coin machine. Banks in small forgotten towns are more likely to oblige.

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 on the small town idea. Around here any town with some size to it is full of other CRH's dump banks. Smaller-town banks have produced for me.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If don't have time to hit all the banks, call ahead & ask who has halves... It'll save time & allow u to make more efficient stops. Map out your trip & leave early enough that u can hit the first bank right when they open. Try to find a place to dump like midway in case you run out of money. Good luck & take lots of pics for us!

HH
BB

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have an account with a national (or regional) bank that is on the way, take advantage of the dumping opportunity. Dump the discards from your early stops, but also bring any dumping that has piled up at home. That will give your local dump banks a break.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drive with a divining rod fixed to your steering wheel and tape a morgan to the tip of it....as you feel the undeniable tug exit at each bank and reap massive rewards :-)

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Pittsburgh, and the pickins' are fairly slim. #2 son and I are averaging 1 40% per box, thus far. #2 son hit every bank in our neighborhood today and the teller response was "there's another guy who comes in for half-dollar rolls every week." PNC will be happy to sell me -- and you -- boxes. But know that they use Brinks, and they don't have any coin machines that I've seen. Good Luck, and "haa baht dem Stillers!"

OP
OP
TCOZY13

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the good advice. I will try to hit up some small towns along the. Way. I think ill dump at pnc. I'll post which one so you don't get my skunks. lol. Any other advice or good success stories onroadtrips?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a GPS unit with you and when you get near any areas that might have banks search them and the call ahead and see if they have halves. Also, take along a bunch of coin wrappers in case a particular dump bank doesn't have a coin counter. I've been stuck with 2-3000$ worth of halves and no place to dump!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread