How do you get Started?

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
---Ask for half dollars.

In halves look for halves dated 1970 and earlier. Those are silver. Also look for proofs, they have an "S" mint mark.

---Quarters and dimes. Everything before 1965 is silver.

---Nickels, i save everything before 1960. 1942-1945 are silver.

---Pennies, save the wheat cents, (pre 1959).

---Save all large size dollar coins.

~I RECCOMEND HALF DOLLARS~ You can order boxes of $500 (1000 halves) from banks if they dont have any loose ones.

~keep an eye out for red seal two dollar bills~

-CC

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just say
"can i have _____ dollars in ______(pennies nickels dimes ect)"

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I usually just say " I was wondering if you have any halves you could sell me?" HOW MANY DO YOU WANT. " All of them" I reply. Most banks are glad to get rid of them.

Then there are the banks that I order boxes from. and thats just a matter of placing an order. You may need an account there to do so.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good Question, 87 ;D I'm planning to get into it myself once winter arrives.

My questions to the experts are:

1. Returning coins to banks; do most prefer you re-roll them or do they prefer bulk and use the coin counting machine?

2. I'm sure a jeweler's loupe would be helpful; what power loupe should I get?

DFIU

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Since none of the banks I use has a counter, I reroll my halves in the same roll they came in. I usually only do halves so rerolling is easy. About the only time I do other coins is when I need a book or something else that I can use so I can use coinstar free of charge. Those small coins are much harder to reroll. I guess I could bag my coin and let the bank send it to the counter but I wouldn't have access to my money for a day or two.

I have one of those lamps with a magnifier built in that I use to scan my coins. I think it is about 5X, but not sure. I also use reading glasses that are about twice as strong as my normal ones. When I see something that looks out of the ordinary then I break out my 30x loupe.

I look close at all the halves older than 1990. The young ones, just a quick look. If I would read about an error in one of those young coins than I guess I would add that one to the first pile. These younger coins were minted with a different methiod that was supposed to cut down on double dies and you can definitely see the difference.

The new Cherrypickers Guide for dimes through dollars has just been released. You might want to pick up one of these as well as the first volume.

Good luck with your hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread