I have a new method for you CRHs to Find More Silver in the Wild!!

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a new method for you CRH's to Find More Silver in the Wild!!

So, I pride myself on having a fairly creative mind when it comes to new processes, I inherited the mindset from my Dad and he encouraged me to do a lot of critical thinking skills when I was a child and so far it has paid off in many ways. Awhile back, I thought of using vending machines as a new venue of CHRing. I usually write down all of my ideas but for some reason I forgot this one until today. I tried the easiest denomination of finding something worth keeping, nickels!!

So, here's how I did it. Took 3 nickels and decided to keep putting them singly through the machine until I found 3 keepers. Don't put 2 in and press the coin return or you'll most likely get back a dime! Of course, you can try dimes or quarters if you'd like. Eventually, the machine will cycle the nickels all the way through so I used a sharpie and put a dot on each one so I'd know when the machines ran all the way through and came back around to the nickel. After going through 2 of the 6 machines, I found my 3 keepers.

They are:

1944-D War Nickel!!! :hello2:
2009-D

By the way, if anyone is looking to get rid of some 2009's, send me a PM.

-Kleinerschmitter

Attachments

• nickelsobverse.jpg
    nickelsobverse.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,271
  • nickelsreverse.jpg
    nickelsreverse.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,275
Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I have a new method for you CRH's to Find More Silver in the Wild!!

the merit is good...

I'm not sure the time invested is worth the reward, but nonetheless, good find!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

Nice finds, silver always brings a smile to my face!

When you stood in front of the vending machine, how long did you spend putting in the nickels and pushing the return change button?
How many nickels did you search through until you have searched all the nickels?

It would seem that one could search more nickels by picking up a box of nickels at a bank.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i will be trying to do this tonight most definatly

Zephr

Oct 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

I've thought about doing this before, but I didn't want to get weird looks for doing something like this at a store like walmart.

What type of store did you do this at, and did you get any weird looks while doing it? If this continues to work out well for you, I may say screw what other people think and try it myself :headbang:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

I do this every day, but only a little bit. I put 5-6 nickels in and push the return. It returns all nickels. I do that 3-4 times and then quit. I'm at work doing this in the break room, so I set a limit.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Awesome! I've done this with quarters, but I think imma move to dimes... :laughing9:

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011

thats AWESOME! good idea!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've done this method in the past, but I think there is some confusion on your part. Have you actually gotten back the nickel you marked. My limited understanding of vending machines is that the coins put in the slot drop into a bin, and the change returned comes from feeders on the inside of the door. These have sensors that are tripped to drop coins when necessary. Every machine I have searched always runs out of change in the long run. When the slot is empty it tells the machine to only take correct change, and if it takes bills, it won't take them anymore.
HH
enamel7

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Already suggested this and done this. Try the Car Wash with quarters.....

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other

I thought I was the only crazy one. Instead of putting a FRN dollar into the vending machine, I use the change machine to generate 4 quarters, check them, and then put them into the vending machine...

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina

It's also a great way to get rid of those dirty dimes and nickels you dig metal detecting. I do this at work sometimes, too, with my nickels and dimes. I put in the maximum amount to buy a sandwich snack which is $2.50 in dimes or nickels and when the button is pushed, out comes all quarters. I search the quarters and then spend the rest. It's easier to have $4 in quarters in your pocket than $4 in nickels.

Also, Enamels idea is the same with our vending machines here at work - the inserted coins go in a container and when the designated change runs out, the machine asks for exact change only.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

I've done it too, but never found anything. Most of the vending machines near me are in high traffic areas and I'd get lots of weird looks just putting in a coin and pressing the reject button for 15 minutes :laughing7:

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have pretty good luck just pickin' up the loose change that people drop and won't retrieve from under the machine. Last week I found about $1. I put this change in a jar and when I get enough saved up I buy silver with it. :tongue3:

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011

I'd probably only do this if I was bored or to dump Metal detecting clad I've gotten for clean coins. I've heard of people robbing coin machines at car washes actually. Probably had silver in mind.

OP
OP
kleinerschmitter

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

enamel7 said:
I've done this method in the past, but I think there is some confusion on your part. Have you actually gotten back the nickel you marked. My limited understanding of vending machines is that the coins put in the slot drop into a bin, and the change returned comes from feeders on the inside of the door. These have sensors that are tripped to drop coins when necessary. Every machine I have searched always runs out of change in the long run. When the slot is empty it tells the machine to only take correct change, and if it takes bills, it won't take them anymore.
HH
enamel7
Enamel,
Yes, I have gotten my marked nickels back. We have 5 new machines for drinks and 1 old machine for snacks, all 5 new machines don't sound like they dump in a centralized box but they sort them into tubes inside the machine, once I go all the way around, it spits the nickels out in the exact same order I put them in, all with my mark on them. The older machine works exactly as the machines you have searched.
Great topic brought up, it may not be the best decision to do more than a couple at a time if the machines do not cycle all the way through.

OP
OP
kleinerschmitter

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Bigheed said:
the merit is good...

I'm not sure the time invested is worth the reward, but nonetheless, good find!
MIhunter said:
Nice finds, silver always brings a smile to my face!

When you stood in front of the vending machine, how long did you spend putting in the nickels and pushing the return change button?
How many nickels did you search through until you have searched all the nickels?

It would seem that one could search more nickels by picking up a box of nickels at a bank.
Zephr said:
I've thought about doing this before, but I didn't want to get weird looks for doing something like this at a store like walmart.

What type of store did you do this at, and did you get any weird looks while doing it? If this continues to work out well for you, I may say screw what other people think and try it myself :headbang:

I work as an Alzheimer's Researcher for Texas A&M's Health Science Center. Many of my duties include running experiments on machines that can take anywhere from 3-48 hrs to complete, this has me up at the building at all times. It was 9:30PM when I started putting nickels in and found all 3 keepers before 9:45PM but I found the 2009 almost right off the bat and about 40 tries later I landed the 1946 and then 10 tries later the war nickel. My results I feel were very optimistic and are probably not representative of how the machines generally would be, although I wouldn't put it past my co-workers to quickly get rid of war nickels because they appear so dirty. I happen to think they are beautiful, haha.

The 2 machines I cycled all the way through took about 25 nickels to cycle through. I don't have to worry about looking weird, no one else is around most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions