RAHHHHHH!!! (OMG rate is on a reply INSANE!!)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
WOO HOO got it. NOT pretty but WOO HOO..

1941 WALKER *** Revision *** sorry the coin was blacked so I was wrong its a 44 Walker.

also,

1954 BEN
(8) 1964's

40% wise (2) 1965, (7)1966, (25)1967 (one of them simply the most stunning coin I have seen up close), (11)1968, and (4) 1969.

What a wonderful wonderful box. Will be posting pics later tonight. Have to leave and fix a computer network in a new store for the next 4 hours.

***the following is (no cussing of course) a large rant LoL***
**My first post with a rant, and hopefully my last ;) ***

ONE bad note. I asked and asked and asked my bank would I get charged for bringing in halves. They said nope, I asked head teller to shipping and inbetween. My first month I brought them about $2500 in halves, then it was going to be $2000 a month.

TODAY for the first time in 5 years they had to add to thier shipment back to the FED one bag of halves. OMG, apparantly they have been talking about it for 3 days now, they are going to have to charge me for future shipments. THey can't tell me what they need to charge, they are teetering between by weight, roll, amount, but they are speculating $80+ per $1000 in halves. Anyways, today's turnin was free because they said free. IT did however stop me from being able to order $2000 from this bank that I just got this wonderful $1000 from. They had already added it to thier order and I had to respectfully ask them to drop it until I can figure out what I will be charged by my bank, or if I need to set up another account at another bank to do this. Or just plain dump my bank altogether for one that can ask and answer a question truthfully from the very beginning?

REMEMBER this is being charge for turning in halves not ordering. And yes I understand business's get a per roll charge etc...for money. ITS not the same....they are telling me that my charges per $1000 will most likely be in the neighborhood of $80+ for it to be put on the truck going back to Fed. Even though they send in their own all the time. Please tell me anyone with a business, do you get charged $80+ for $1000 in change? IF so I will shut my mouth.

Oh and they don't have to roll it nor do they, they just crank it into a bag as the machine sorts it out. I asked. I would understand more if they had to hand count or hand roll.

TY ALL :)

Postalrevnant

P.S> I would not have minded a charge thing and expected one when I asked,(if reasonable charge) however you have to agree to do it this was is uncool.

ANYways LOL. WOO HOO the finds were a huge VICTORY with that first WALKER... Thank you all for listening. I hope my rant wasn't too bad, you just hate to save things for your daughters college fund like silver, ask and ask and ask to hear one answer, then all of a sudden the same peps wake up and say..OMG we gotta make some money off this. Yes it costs them, but be real...$80+ for each $1000 to add it to a armored vehicle that is taking much of thiers and many other banks change regularly to the reserve. PLEASE!!

Posting pics when I return

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: RAHHHHHH!!!

Congrats PR Man! I am really happy for you!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Smiles!
BDoo

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

Congratulations on the Walker, may there be many more.

On your other thing, here in my part of So. Cal. I have to reroll my halves. I also don't dump large amounts at any one bank. Usually 400 or 450 would be the most and then I will wait several weeks before hitting them again. When I first started roll hunting I hit most every bank in my area. Some never had halves; they said they turn them in as soon as they get them. I opened free accounts with these banks and thats where I dump my rejects. The banks that built a supply of halves, I pay regular visits to. If any of these banks started to try to charge me then I would just change banks. They're all fighting to get new customers anyway.

80 on a 1000 is almost as much as coinstar charges and if you need a new book or a new set of sheets you can use them free. I'll bet coinstar isn't paying 8% to turn in the coins from their machines.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Thank you all :)

Great advice Goldinmypan. I am going to tell that bank to go ahead and order the $2000 as soon as I survey how to distribute.

Sorry all for going off earlier. It was bad enough that I had warned and asked many times before I got that many halves...and over and over was told go ahead..its cool..we no chargee nothing. I guess I was mainly ranting because of how everyone in the bank was staring at me, while I had to await the head teller coming back from lunch. They were looking at me like I was trying to rob them, sad part is I didn't even raise my voice or anything. All the tellers and loan officers in the hallway knew about me and the halves because as it turns out the bank actually had a meeting about it. So SAD.

I will be willing to pay a shipping rate as long as its not outrageous. One could say the bank could pay since they sure do make a very hefty killing, but then again its those actions that make em fat an rich :D .

Lastly I am sorry to my Treasure Net Bretheren because my camera has finally died for sure. I just thought it had ate some batteries very quickly since I had changed them only yesterday... but alas a new pack and 8 different combinations (16 batteries total in 2's) is proof enough to me that the camera is finally dead.

I cannot afford one atm, but you got my word when I can get a camera from family I will take that pic and post my proud dirty black looking Walker.

Don't really care how it looks. Love that first one. Its details are actually very good only slighly worn all over, its just all discolored black.

Thanks again,

Postalrevnant

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Congratulations on your first Walker and all the silver halves! EXCELLENT!!

I would not pay a fee to return halves,look for another bank and open an account there to return them. I would continue to order boxes from this bank for a while to see if you keep finding silver in large quantities. Good luck!

parrothead

Oct 1, 2005
Morris, Illinois

From talking with the president of one of my banks, he said that they get charged a weekly fee to handle their coinage. No extra charge to them unless I get crazy. Still won't matter, they will cover it. I have my business and personal accounts that they do not want to lose. Not everyone has that luxury.

kalpinro

May 25, 2006

Congrats Postalrevnant you deserve finding good stuff!! Congrats on the walker.

Aren't those awesome coins? :)

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

Congrats on the good finds!!

I deal with a lot of banks & talk to a lot of the employee's.............BANKS DO NOT GET CHARGED FOR ROLLS BEING PICKED UP......PERIOD!!! Business's are not charged either.

Money is money, weather is is coins, or paper. These actions are usually caused by crabby tellers too lazy to do thier jobs. This was a big subject on this forum last winter. Basically, this is a form of discrimination (The guy with paper money is better than the person with coinage). I would suggest calling the 1-800-getU-fired number & giving them an ear full, or switching banks.

just my 3 cents worth

Paul

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Paul in WA said:
I deal with a lot of banks & talk to a lot of the employee's.............BANKS DO NOT GET CHARGED FOR ROLLS BEING PICKED UP......PERIOD!!! Business's are not charged either.

THank you I was hoping to get a member that dealt with large numbers of coinage. I had heard from others that sometimes they get charged a fee to have state coins delivered, because in many states its an extra trip. I hear that fee is $5 for $500 or atleast thats what some banks charge if you request those state coins. Otherwise I had heard that on the return it wasn't such a big deal.

kalpinro said:
Congrats Postalrevnant you deserve finding good stuff!! Congrats on the walker.

Aren't those awesome coins? :)

OMG YES, I wish my camera was working. Its not the best by far and kinda black, but I would make it my avatar. It's my favorite coin design, atleast my favorite that I have a decent chance of finding from time to time. TY I don't know if I deserve or not, but I sure am appreciative.

parrothead said:
From talking with the president of one of my banks, he said that they get charged a weekly fee to handle their coinage. No extra charge to them unless I get crazy. Still won't matter, they will cover it. I have my business and personal accounts that they do not want to lose. Not everyone has that luxury.

I wish that I could have that luxury, or atleast Goldinmypan, Paul in WA, and Pennyworth's suggestion. ATM I am finishing up installing a network for a return customer in their new store. I am not making a killing off that, I gave em a great price. AFterwards I can finally put in my applications to Knoxville and see if this Network Engineer can get a job there. I have a little over 1 years experience and do great work, but still its gonna be a little tough. I WILL get a job though, just have to wait it out. I have disability from Army for lots of muscle damage and my wife works. We are not poor, but we got about $250 a month after bills, gas, food.....etc. to play with. And of course much goes to the love of my life my 6 year old. But YES once I get a job I can have the flexibility to use them to open new accounts etc. I just hate to be on hold ATM with such a good bank.

The bank that orders them for me is really cool though. They are going to order another $1000 for me or anyone. They said they don't mind if I can only get $50 a month, they will hold em unless someone else gets, and when they get low they will order again. GOD nice peps there. My daughter is making them a very nice sweet (honey balls) honey, oatmeal..etc, to give to them for their kindness. So if nothing else I will buy $100 a weak and spend the non-silver at the grocery store ;) .

My bank however still doesn't know what the charge will be. They promise to have an answer by the end of next week. The old networking company I used to work for was their upper end support. I did many jobs at the various branches. I hate to talk to the big peps, but if the answer is rediculous I might have to see the VP and others that were appreciative of the quick good job I did when I was the support tech.

ANyways once again you guys are completely AWESOME. Thank you much for the support and advice.

Postalrevnant

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: RAHHHHHH!!! (revised)

Like I said, it shouldn't cost you anything because it doesn't cost them anything. Today I took in over $3000 in quarters to exchange......cost me nothing.

The fact that they don't know how much to charge you should tell you something. If this is a large bank (like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, ect) They would most likely get in trouble if the corporate office knew they were making thier own rules.

Paul

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Paul,

I do agree fully that there should be zero charge. It's a small bank with 6 branches all in small towns. Sad part is, they are by far and away the best bank around here. The other banks are pure crooks anytime they can be. I don't think it costs them anything to put the halves on the truck,atleast it can't be much. They don't have to roll or count by hand. ITs machine cranked into a bag.

I am fully suspicious of this non-answer. I was definately mad when I originally posted this. I probably should not have ranted, but I guess loads of other stress finally culminated at once. I am taking a more clear approach now. I am contacting a few friends there that I know I can count on to find out where this charge is originating from. Once I know that I will know how I can proceed.

Sad part is, even though I know you are fully right around this small place banks really don't care so much. Especially if you have less than $4000 total savings and checking. It's why I am stressed out from returning here again, but its what I had to do at the moment. Once I get a job in knoxville, {soon I hope}, I am OUTTA here!!!

Thank you again Paul for your experience and advice on this one.

I am not so mad now, but I sure am looking forward to hearing the answer to the charge and where its coming from.

Postalrevnant

kalpinro

May 25, 2006

Yeah there is no way they should be charging you for that. I believe that is law in our state...

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Ok I got my answer today. I was told that they had a meeting of the officers..and since they don't have people that bring in large amounts of change (yeah right), they don't normally have to put any money on the truck going back to Fed. I said it was a small town, but all told there are 20,000 in my county and officially around 60,000 at all their locations minus Knoxville location which is around 100,000 or so.

They said, not just halves, and they have kept a running log of all change I and others turn in. Any amount of change over $1000 per month will be a 10% fee. Yes you read me right 10% fee.

Apparantly because of the rarity of the halve dollars getting turned in to them, any amount over $100 per month will get a charge.

Ok, I can't change anything yet because of direct deposit and and a few automatic payments. My state Kentucky is rotten about making laws to help people, most are pretty undefined, but I will research banking laws and see. Probably can't do anything about. But will once I can transfer direct deposit ....etc, drop that bank. I would love to give them a black eye now. I have talked to other businessmen and they charge them less than 1% to order lots of change, and nothing to turn it in.

I rarely ever protest anything or raise my voice. In fact this will be the first time I might actually seek legal advice in my life. I certainly feel like I am being singled out at a rediculous rate. We all know they don't expect that I would pay that. SO they got to be singling me out. But first to be smart about it, I am going to get a list of their fees and try to get their answer put in writing.

Thanks all for your great posts. I am stuck now for a bit. Looks like I will not be able to do any coin roll hunting for a little while. Shame too they were just starting to rock.

Postalrevnant

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I've been lucky so far...Did run into this type of thing yesterday. I was told I would be charged $8 per box for dimes and pennies because that was what business were charged...ya right...a 32% charge for $25 in pennies? I'm in the wrong business! ;D It was near closing time and I grilled the head teller and it was obvious she was making it up. Probably involved a little extra paper work. Hey, I'm as lazy as the next guy...just don't lie to me...HH

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of CRAP Postal! They obviously had this "meeting" to decide what fee to impose on you so you'd stop doing this, rather than any fees they're incurring due to your activity.

You're doing the right thing by checking the fine print about bank rates. Ditto on getting the RIPOFF fees in writing. Once you get that, call their corporate HQ and tell them about this "new policy" that borders on descrimination (since businesses don't get this charge). I'd go as far as saying they'd pocket the fees. Damn corrupt banks!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Write the newspapers in the area. Put out a press release stating the facts about the "transaction" you had with this bank and their directors. Get the directors names and include them in the press release. Give them as much (factual) bad press as they deserve.

Sounds like some form of personal discrimination to me.

Nice lot of finds though, again, congrats on that Walker!

Smiles!
BDoo

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I personally just fill out a deposit slip.

It is added incentive for them NOT to make a fuss, as I am just making a "deposit". Couple that with the fact that I only deposit them at the same branch once every 3-4 months by roatating my deposits, I don't have to worry about a thing.

You found some nice coins though dude. Keep up the hunt!!!
;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions