Gold Eisenhower dollars?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I went down to one of my local banks looking for the loose halves and struck out. they did have a role of 20$ Ike's which i purchaced and found three gold plated Eisenhower dollars. I couldn't find out any info via google search, or E-bay. has anyone heard of these? are they part of a collectors set? any info would be great.

P.S all whom has contributed their treasure and advice on this forum have given me a new (addicting) hobby that i am very thankfull for

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coin Types have been Plated at some point and Sold
As Gold Plated Versions, to make money off them.

Dealers will sell Gold Plated coins at a Premium.
But Refuse to buy them at more then Face Value.

They are a Cool Find when Coin roll Hunting,
But I'm sorry to say killerwine is Correct in that they
were done for Novelty Only.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Someone probably had them plated for a promotion of some kind. Just a novelity. I have seen halves gold plated, chrome plated, silver? plated, some with ingraving, some with 2 heads or tails and who knows what they'll come up with next.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I was at a show a while back. There was a guy selling a portable plating machine. You could plate anything. Even fixtures and car trim without removing them. As a demonstration he would ask people for a quarter or larger. In less then 30 seconds he handed you back a gold plated coin.

As stated they are a novelty that was made outside of the mint and are worth face value only.

Mark S.

parrothead

Oct 1, 2005
Morris, Illinois
Just read an article on the gold plated coins. At $700 per ounce there is 2 cents worth of gold on a plated quarter. Probably 3 or 4 cents on a half.

Latest issue of COINS magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions