FREAKY WEIRD: Half dollars rejected today!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay...this is freaky weird!!!!

We decided to order a pizza from Papa Murphy's tonight.

"Okay, that will be $11" the teenage cashier said.

I started laying out halves in rows of five dollars, just like I always do at retail establishments.

"Ummm. Ummm. I can't take those" the cashier said, and quickly called for the store manager, who was also so young that I would be surprised if she had a driver's license.

"I'm sorry, sir, we don't accept those, or gold dollars. Our bank won't take them" the manager said.

"What?? Your bank won't take them?? Which bank is that??"

"Fifth-Third. They don't allow us to deposit half dollars or the gold dollars. We have a business account there, and business accounts cannot deposit halves or gold dollars" she said.

I stood and argued that I had bought lots of halves from Fifth-Third and that I was spending legal currency.

"Oh, I know they are okay to spend, but we just don't take them. If that is all you have, the pizza is free" she replied.

"But I don't want something I didn't pay for...I just want to leave the halves with you" I said.

"Sorry, but I can't take them. Enjoy the pizza. It is on us" the manager said. "Really, it is on us" she added.

I tried to reason with them, and tried to pay several times, but she would hear none of it.

"If you are upset, you can call the owner. He told us that our bank won't accept them." the manager girl said.

I stood there absolutely dumbfounded, and tried again (many times) to pay with my halves. I even told them to take the halves, and throw them in the trash if they wished.

Every week, we spend at least $200 in halves...often much more than that...and people are excited to receive them as payment, and hardly ever have we had someone be negative about them, save a curmudgeon at a post office once.

On one hand, I do feel bad that Papa Murphy's gave me a free pizza because they hate halves or are misinformed.

On the other hand, I feel that if they are that dumb, I'll take the free pizza.

What would you have done?

How would you feel?

Should I swing back into Papa Murphy's tomorrow and give them $11 in greenbacks, or even dimes? (LOL about the dimes)

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
...We have a business account there, and business accounts cannot deposit halves or gold dollars" she said...

I have seen this posted at a bank on a road trip somewhere - can't remember where or what bank, but I do remember seeing a sign that said business accounts could no longer deposit halves or dollar coins.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny. Every time I spend them people are psyched to get them.

I would swing in and pay the manager that gave you the pizza. Just say thank you for the other day and hand her some cash.

I agree with SS. The dollar coins are going to be in your pocket in no time.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver spoon said:
no joke yesterday i read a article in the newspaper about the government getting ride of 1 dollar bills by 2013 and going to the gold coins full time because the fed wants to save money dont you worry in 2 years halfs and gold dollars will make a strong comeback i guarantee it!!Remember this post ya all!!
This has only been discussed by the gubermint, nothing finalized. I've also seen your "guarantees" in the past so I'm not worried! :laughing7:
HH
enamel7

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot, thanks Clovis for telling us where to get free pizza! :headbang:
HH
enamel7

byzanthia

Oct 8, 2011
north Dallas
Primary Interest:
Other
Just pay for it with dollar bills. They weren't being jerks - they were being nice and even offered it to you for free to avoid a scene.

Running a business isn't easy. Just pay them with bills if they can't accept the halves.

I wouldn't be enjoying that pizza knowing that I hadn't paid for it while I could have.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
ArkieBassMan said:
clovis97 said:
...We have a business account there, and business accounts cannot deposit halves or gold dollars" she said...

I have seen this posted at a bank on a road trip somewhere - can't remember where or what bank, but I do remember seeing a sign that said business accounts could no longer deposit halves or dollar coins.

Very interesting...I had never heard that until tonight.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
SeaninNH said:
That's funny. Every time I spend them people are psyched to get them.

Same here...and we spend lots of halves every week...a minimum of $200, but usually much more than that.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Diver_Down said:
enamel7 said:
Almost forgot, thanks Clovis for telling us where to get free pizza! :headbang:
HH
enamel7

I've never had Papa Murphy's. Is it any good? Is it really worth cooking your own?

Actually, it is pretty decent. Of course, it is not high end pizza that you would find in the big city that costs $35 per pizza...but if you are used to Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, it is pretty good.

When PM first came to town, they advertised and sold a bunch of pizza at very low prices. They have pushed their prices up since then, but you can get more pizza with more toppings for a lower price than Pizza Hut, even when Pizza Hut is running a special.

Years ago, I was in Utah, and stopped in to order a pizza, not knowing they did not bake pizzas for people. At the time, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to buy an uncooked pizza. After PM moved to town, and when they used to run the 5.99 two topping large pizza, we often had them twice a week!!!

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have some body get the car pull up to the curb grab the pizza and put the half dollars on the counter and before they can react get in car and peel away. :laughing9: :laughing9:.

hey you asked.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
byzanthia said:
Just pay for it with dollar bills. They weren't being jerks - they were being nice and even offered it to you for free to avoid a scene.

Running a business isn't easy. Just pay them with bills if they can't accept the halves.

I wouldn't be enjoying that pizza knowing that I hadn't paid for it while I could have.

The manager and cashier was very, very friendly and cheerful. I was just stunned to think that they wouldn't accept my halves. It was too much for my meager mind to handle at one time: They wouldn't accept my halves, and they were just giving me a pizza at no charge.

I still don't understand why they didn't accept my halves, and take them to the bank located in the same parking lot, and cash them in on a personal account sometime tomorrow.

I literally couldn't have paid for the pizza with bills. I rarely carry any cash other than halves, and I did not have any cash other than about $13 in half dollars.

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am honest to a fault. They would also tell you that I don't want anything in life that I didn't earn myself...I would never try to get over on someone just so I could get it for free. I don't cheat, scam or play games that benefit me at the expense of others...not other people, businesses (big or small), and I don't cheat the government.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Chicken and Bacon Stuffed is Great Chug

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Ive never had anyone refuse to take halves. Strange there bank wont take them, I usually get rid of my clad halves by spending $5-10 at a time in stores there often really happy to get them, Next time try paying in Eisenhowers :laughing7:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'd either pay for the pizza, or at the very least make sure the driver gets a tip. Having been a former pizza delivery guy as well as a former teller, I know those tips mean a lot to them.

On a side note, I'd say the bank's policy is not a good sign...

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
clovis97 said:

how hard is it for a business to make change with the halves and dollar coins? I used to be a cashier at the grocery store, and I would always give out the halves, SBAs, Two-dollar bills (the ones that I didn't keep for myself) to other customers in their change. That way, i never had to count them out at then end of the night, but also because the register cash tray didnt have spots for those denominations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread