Poll: Edge Searching vs Date Searching
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: HALF Hunters: Do you Edge Search, Date Search, or Both?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edge search only

26 53.06%
  • Date Search

5 10.20%
  • Edge first, then date search

18 36.73%
    us
    Apr 2011
    vegas
    1398 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Poll: Edge Searching vs Date Searching

I'm posting this poll to get a basic idea of how thoroughly searched the halves are out there. I, personally, edge search for the silver, then go back and go through the dates if I have time. I can usually spot proofs edge searching and almost never miss any 40%ers by edge searching alone. The reason I date search is to fill my son's Dansco album with the best halves I can find. Also, since I have been a little more diligent date searching over the last few weeks, i've found a few cool varieties, including 2 '74 D Dbl Dies, 2 '82 P No FGs and a Statue of Liberty commem that I would've missed if i were edge searching alone. I really would like to find a nice '72 D no FG like one hunter did not long ago on this forum. I guess what I'm trying to find out here is if it's worth the extra time to date search or if I am better off using that time to search & dump more coins?

Your participation is appreciated!
    HH
    BB

us
    Apr 2011
    232 times

Re: Poll: Edge Searching vs Date Searching

edge search only, if I miss even 1/500 40%'s i'd be surprised and I'd venture that I spot 90% of the proof coins quite easily.

The only reason to date check is
    1) you're new to CRHing and it does take some time to "develop your eye"
    2) collecting
    3) error checking

If you're only in it for the silver theres no reason to date check once you've done a few boxes you know how to spot the AG and Proofs no problem.

Bigheed

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    272 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

I generally edge check, then sound-check then do a quick run through the halves to spot any commemoritives (haven't ever found any) and see if there are any proofs I somehow missed edge checking.
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us
    Nov 2005
    North Central Tennessee
    MXT
    140 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bigheed
    edge search only, if I miss even 1/500 40%'s i'd be surprised and I'd venture that I spot 90% of the proof coins quite easily.

The only reason to date check is
    1) you're new to CRHing and it does take some time to "develop your eye"
    2) collecting
    3) error checking

If you're only in it for the silver theres no reason to date check once you've done a few boxes you know how to spot the AG and Proofs no problem.

Bigheed
    ^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

us
    May 2011
    5 times

I usually edge search first. Depending how many halves I have to search, and how much time I have... I will pull out any halves that look like they are in mint condition, see what date they are, and see if they have any errors. Oh, and It probably goes without saying, but I ALWAYS pull out any halves that look different in anyway when edge checking, ie. darker, lighter, less orange, more orange, weird line edges... etc. I have missed many 40%'ers that if I hadnt pulled out the "different" looking half to date check, I would have missed silver all together. I also had an interesting situation the other day, I had a few boxes of searched halves in my backseat waiting to be dumped, well I had been on a bumpy dirt road earlier, so one of the boxes burst open and exploded sending halves from hell to everywhere in my truck... When I was cleaning those up, I noticed one that looked like it may have been a 40%'er... Sure enough, it was a 1969 half dollar, that looked nothing like the hundreds of silvers I have found up to that point. I had totally missed it, and would have dumped it had the box not blown up and presented me with the opp. to save that sweet lil silver angel... I thought, wow, does this prove silver gods exist? lol jk.

In actuality, Im sure I have missed a small number of 40%'ers by edge searching, but I believe the time it would take me to date search the amount of halves I usually do in a week would make this already time-consuming hobby/addiction of mine totally impossible for me to continue without it ruining my business, and my life.

happy hunting.

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    91 times

I answered edge search only, but I do a little bit of date searching -- if the edge is iffy (e.g. grayish), I'll do a date check. Usually it just means 1971 or 1972. :-) Also if the edge is really shiny and brilliant, it's probably in very good shape, so chances are it's a fairly recent issue; I tend to find a lot of NIFC's there which I put aside so that maybe I can sell a batch of them on eBay.

The rest? I don't bother to look at the dates.

KennedyFan

us
    Sep 2011
    2 times

I'll edge search dimes then just run thru them to see if anything else interesting in there.
    Date search nickels obviously, don't know any other way. And also cents get date searched. Haven't gotten into quarters or halves yet.

us
    Mar 2011
    Midwest
    Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Generic_Lad
    I generally edge check, then sound-check then do a quick run through the halves to spot any commemoritives (haven't ever found any) and see if there are any proofs I somehow missed edge checking.

This
    2011 CRH'ing Silver found

0- War Nickel
    1- Barber Dimes (1902)
    18- Mercury Dimes
    297- Roosevelt Dimes
    4- Silver Canadian Dimes
    16- Washington Quarters  (tellar tray scores)
    1- Barber Half (1907d)
    4- Walkers
    10- Franklins
    33- 1964 Kennedys
    235- 40% Kennedy

us
    Nov 2009
    Upstate NY
    My eyes
    690 times

edge only, unless it is suspect, then i check the coin.

Occasionally i date check, looking for errors and such.
    2015 stash - 40 ounces
    Silver Eagles - 1
    War Nickels - 20
    Merc's - 39
    Rosies - 39
    Washingtons - 28
    Walkers - 21
    90% Kens - 36
    40% Kens - 72
    Canadian dimes - 36

us
    Oct 2009
    10 times

I edge search then sound search

us
    Aug 2011
    PA
    Fisher F2, Hands
    1 times

I was the one who found the 72 D no FG and sold it for ~$167. I have found one since in slightly worse condition but I'm too lazy to put it on ebay, along with any other errors I've found. I always date search since I only ever have about 2 boxes at once. If I were doing volume of even 6+ boxes per week instead ~2(anymore) I would probably only edge search. I don't like the extra time it takes but I like date checking better than surfing the web. Take about 2hrs per box :/ with comprehensive date checking. I of course edge check each roll after it's opened but that only takes a split second and it's just because I can't contain the excitement of looking 1 at a time.

It may not be worth the extra time for profit, but if you have nothing better to do why the hell not

edit: I checked date check only. Because that's primarily what I do. I do a very brief edge check as I pour the 20coins out of each roll.

edit2: pics 72 D no fg, props again to Diver_Down for confirming legitimacy
    http://i.imgur.com/aZ4y2.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/zga0V.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/0IWTU.jpg
    Experienced CRH.

Metal detecting for fun.

us
    Nov 2011
    Northern Arizona
    CRHing

I was edge searching today and as I was putting my halves back into the roll, I realized I had a 1967! So, I think Im going to date search from now on!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links