Poll: Edge Searching vs Date Searching

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm posting this poll to get a basic idea of how thoroughly searched the halves are out there. I, personally, edge search for the silver, then go back and go through the dates if I have time. I can usually spot proofs edge searching and almost never miss any 40%ers by edge searching alone. The reason I date search is to fill my son's Dansco album with the best halves I can find. Also, since I have been a little more diligent date searching over the last few weeks, i've found a few cool varieties, including 2 '74 D Dbl Dies, 2 '82 P No FGs and a Statue of Liberty commem that I would've missed if i were edge searching alone. I really would like to find a nice '72 D no FG like one hunter did not long ago on this forum. I guess what I'm trying to find out here is if it's worth the extra time to date search or if I am better off using that time to search & dump more coins?

Your participation is appreciated!
HH
BB

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
edge search only, if I miss even 1/500 40%'s i'd be surprised and I'd venture that I spot 90% of the proof coins quite easily.

The only reason to date check is
1) you're new to CRHing and it does take some time to "develop your eye"
2) collecting
3) error checking

If you're only in it for the silver theres no reason to date check once you've done a few boxes you know how to spot the AG and Proofs no problem.

Bigheed

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I generally edge check, then sound-check then do a quick run through the halves to spot any commemoritives (haven't ever found any) and see if there are any proofs I somehow missed edge checking.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Bigheed said:
edge search only, if I miss even 1/500 40%'s i'd be surprised and I'd venture that I spot 90% of the proof coins quite easily.

The only reason to date check is
1) you're new to CRHing and it does take some time to "develop your eye"
2) collecting
3) error checking

If you're only in it for the silver theres no reason to date check once you've done a few boxes you know how to spot the AG and Proofs no problem.

Bigheed

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I usually edge search first. Depending how many halves I have to search, and how much time I have... I will pull out any halves that look like they are in mint condition, see what date they are, and see if they have any errors. Oh, and It probably goes without saying, but I ALWAYS pull out any halves that look different in anyway when edge checking, ie. darker, lighter, less orange, more orange, weird line edges... etc. I have missed many 40%'ers that if I hadnt pulled out the "different" looking half to date check, I would have missed silver all together. I also had an interesting situation the other day, I had a few boxes of searched halves in my backseat waiting to be dumped, well I had been on a bumpy dirt road earlier, so one of the boxes burst open and exploded sending halves from hell to everywhere in my truck... When I was cleaning those up, I noticed one that looked like it may have been a 40%'er... Sure enough, it was a 1969 half dollar, that looked nothing like the hundreds of silvers I have found up to that point. I had totally missed it, and would have dumped it had the box not blown up and presented me with the opp. to save that sweet lil silver angel... I thought, wow, does this prove silver gods exist? lol jk.

In actuality, Im sure I have missed a small number of 40%'ers by edge searching, but I believe the time it would take me to date search the amount of halves I usually do in a week would make this already time-consuming hobby/addiction of mine totally impossible for me to continue without it ruining my business, and my life.

happy hunting.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answered edge search only, but I do a little bit of date searching -- if the edge is iffy (e.g. grayish), I'll do a date check. Usually it just means 1971 or 1972. :-) Also if the edge is really shiny and brilliant, it's probably in very good shape, so chances are it's a fairly recent issue; I tend to find a lot of NIFC's there which I put aside so that maybe I can sell a batch of them on eBay.

The rest? I don't bother to look at the dates.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I'll edge search dimes then just run thru them to see if anything else interesting in there.
Date search nickels obviously, don't know any other way. And also cents get date searched. Haven't gotten into quarters or halves yet.

FIRE310

Mar 22, 2011
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
I generally edge check, then sound-check then do a quick run through the halves to spot any commemoritives (haven't ever found any) and see if there are any proofs I somehow missed edge checking.

This

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
edge only, unless it is suspect, then i check the coin.

Occasionally i date check, looking for errors and such.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the one who found the 72 D no FG and sold it for ~$167. I have found one since in slightly worse condition but I'm too lazy to put it on ebay, along with any other errors I've found. I always date search since I only ever have about 2 boxes at once. If I were doing volume of even 6+ boxes per week instead ~2(anymore) I would probably only edge search. I don't like the extra time it takes but I like date checking better than surfing the web. Take about 2hrs per box :/ with comprehensive date checking. I of course edge check each roll after it's opened but that only takes a split second and it's just because I can't contain the excitement of looking 1 at a time.

It may not be worth the extra time for profit, but if you have nothing better to do why the hell not :icon_thumleft:

edit: I checked date check only. Because that's primarily what I do. I do a very brief edge check as I pour the 20coins out of each roll.

edit2: pics 72 D no fg, props again to Diver_Down for confirming legitimacy
http://i.imgur.com/aZ4y2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zga0V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0IWTU.jpg

tico29

Greenie
Nov 14, 2011
Northern Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
I was edge searching today and as I was putting my halves back into the roll, I realized I had a 1967! So, I think I´m going to date search from now on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread