CHOKED BY DARTH TELLER!!!!

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok people you know the drill. A bank appears. You pull in and park. Enter said bank and walk up to the counter with a courteous smile. I said I'd like to buy some half dollars if you have any available. Teller said sure let me check (asks around) and comes up with 2 dollars worth. I buy them and as I'm paying I notice her coin tray, yes, in it there is at least 4 dollars worth of 90%ers (no mistake). AND.....AND.......6 solid inches of silver dimes above the tiny stack of 90%ers. Now, I had to restrain my emotions slightly as you might imagine. I said very politely "could I buy those coins in your tray as well?" Her reply was (verbatim)...."No, I collect silver and those are mine." I swallowed my rage and said thank you and walked out. Give me your thought people, what to do???

Upvote 0

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you've obviously found a nice dump bank. nothing else to do about it lol

Navy Dude

Nov 2, 2011
Lutz Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bnicholas26 said:
Ok people you know the drill. A bank appears. You pull in and park. Enter said bank and walk up to the counter with a courteous smile. I said I'd like to buy some half dollars if you have any available. Teller said sure let me check (asks around) and comes up with 2 dollars worth. I buy them and as I'm paying I notice her coin tray, yes, in it there is at least 4 dollars worth of 90%ers (no mistake). AND.....AND.......6 solid inches of silver dimes above the tiny stack of 90%ers. Now, I had to restrain my emotions slightly as you might imagine. I said very politely "could I buy those coins in your tray as well?" Her reply was (verbatim)...."No, I collect silver and those are mine." I swallowed my rage and said thank you and walked out. Give me your thought people, what to do???
When I was building vaults for most of the banks in florida, i learned that if a teller gets caught doing things like that they are history. She wont be around long.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I understand your frustration, but rage? Far, far better to know that you're not going to get any from her than to keep going back again and again getting skunked.

sultan of silver

Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by the branch manager that some of her older employees were doing the same thing. But was still willing to order all the halfs I want! Just hope the old hag does not take them.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
With the bank I work for if a customer requests coins that are in a tellers tray they must sell the coins to the customer. If you don't have an account with the bank, your out of luck. One thing I've done before when I come across tellers holding on to silver is make an offer to by the coins. I've got some nice stuff well under spot.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
AgentX said:
With the bank I work for if a customer requests coins that are in a tellers tray they must sell the coins to the customer. If you don't have an account with the bank, your out of luck. One thing I've done before when I come across tellers holding on to silver is make an offer to by the coins. I've got some nice stuff well under spot.

The best response is above.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are the type to feel rage by this...then install fear.

Most people are driven by fear, what they dont want to happen. So threaten going straight to the district/regional and letting him know you were refused service....asking that teller for his number....after you get your coins and have ruined the relationship with the bank. Turn it into a dump bank.

Follow it up with a very rude comment, like Trix are for kids. Or you must be mad because I got your stash. Smile when you do this. Lastly, make it a game to be the most hated customer in that bank. And smile real big as you prance around in future visits doing the happy dance after youve made your daily dump.

Let us know how this advide goes....

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area it is hard to get halfs. Yesterday I spent two hr's going by a few banks and only got 110 worth some rolled most loose. The bank the loose ones came from the teller helping me told me that another teller had already gone through them looking for silver and all. I nicely asked is that allowed are you all allowed to pick them she said yes. I did find one out of those loose ones and a few other keepers newer years. But I realy do not think that my two hr's was worth all the driving around going in waiting and all that.

I am so fed up with doing CRH here I have almost gave up on even trying. Even my own bank has told me things like half's are no longer recognized as a currency so we don't get them and when we do we have to send them in to the Fed Reserve. I know thats a crock. Anyway I spoke to my banks president yesterday and yes I can now have them order me half's a min of $1000 two boxes at a time but they are going to charge me the fee that they are changed by the Fed. Is there a fee they are charged?

Anyway in this last year I have tried doing the CRH off and on have got many different responses from tellers most all leading to they don't have any. I have got $300 to $500 from Wells Fargo but they always give me trouble cause im not a banking customer but our mortgage is through them and a supervisor has told me I can get them with no problem but every time I go in I have problems from the tellers. I may just open an acct there to do it also I will order from my bank if these fee's are not outrages. I like the CRH even though I have not found much at all but it is hard to do around my neck of the woods.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
have you tried the old jedi mind trick --these are NOT the silvers you are looking for ? - many tellers know all about 1964 coins (dimes , quarters and halves) being 90 % silver but know nothing about the 1965 to 1970 40% halfs

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Navy Dude said:
bnicholas26 said:
When I was building vaults for most of the banks in florida, i learned that if a teller gets caught doing things like that they are history. She wont be around long.
Policies vary from bank to bank.

OP
OP
bnicholas26

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent an email to the head boss at the head branch. I told the whole story and expressed my disappointment. I'll let you know what she says when I get a reply.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
bnicholas26 said:
I sent an email to the head boss at the head branch. I told the whole story and expressed my disappointment. I'll let you know what she says when I get a reply.
If/when they respond, you should let them know that if their tellers are going to be coin collectors while on the clock they should at least keep the coins out of sight from actual customers.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
db23 said:
bnicholas26 said:
If/when they respond, you should let them know that if their tellers are going to be coin collectors while on the clock they should at least keep the coins out of sight from actual customers.

This. Money in the teller's tray is the bank's money - available for the customers. If the teller wants to buy it, he/she should do so at once and keep it out of sight. Mixing the bank's money with the teller's money is generally a recipe for disaster - for the teller.

OP
OP
bnicholas26

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention I was a non-account-holder, but that wasn't an issue when I had the original ordeal (i walked out with clad they sold me). The head boss forwarded it to the branch manager which gave her teller the heads-up. So, even if I go there and ask again, that silver will most likely be long gone, being that I brought it to her superiors' attention. My main problem is this: in reality, if I were a teller, I would be doing the same thing (culling). BUT, don't leave silver out for all to see! Put it in your purse where I (the customer) can't see it, dumba$$!! By the way people, all this silver, which was sitting in the tray (8-inch stack of 90% coinage) as of yesterday, IS PUTNAM BANK IN NORWICH CONNECTICUT! FEEL FREE TO POST IF YOU GET THE CHANCE TO STOP BY THERE AND ASK FOR HALVES!! The teller who collects silver she is young with very short blonde hair.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

Thank you for your email dated Thursday, November 17th concerning your visit to the XXXXX Office of XXXXX Bank. I appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.

XXXXXX Bank only provides cash exchanges for our customer base due to federal regulations and guidelines established by the Patriot Act. Moving forward our branches will be unable to accommodate your request for coin exchanges as a non-customer, however, we invite you to consider opening an account with XXXXXXX Bank at your convenience.

If I may be of any assistance in the future please feel free to contact me personally.

Sincerely,

Carol XXXXXX

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree they should keep it out of sight....but really whats the big deal?

he/she is a collector just like you.....what if you came in to pick up your halves and the teller said, well I had to open them all to verify the correct amount was in there....you'd be pissed wouldn't you?

Nothing to rage about just because someone scored some and you didn't.

Like I said right off the bat, they should buy them and get them out of sight....but writing to the manager or DM sounds like revenge to me.

Not the move I would make.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
I agree they should keep it out of sight....but really whats the big deal?

he/she is a collector just like you.....what if you came in to pick up your halves and the teller said, well I had to open them all to verify the correct amount was in there....you'd be pissed wouldn't you?

Nothing to rage about just because someone scored some and you didn't.

Like I said right off the bat, they should buy them and get them out of sight....but writing to the manager or DM sounds like revenge to me.

Not the move I would make.

+1

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
sounds like this was quite the emotional ordeal for you. My advice would be this: Next week, spend the same amount of time and energy ordering boxes (dimes, quarters, halves etc....) and instead of whining about silver you saw and didnt get, focus on getting the silver you didnt see...... (obviously its there based on her stack)

Just my thoughts;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread