Ordering Ike dollars from the Federal Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres my story i REALLY love big Ike dollars and would use them over $1 dollar bills but, i cant find a bank willing to order them for me i tried everywhere and am really kinda down about it :(. Now i looked on the Feds website and it shows on there order/deposit form that they can still be deposited and ordered. Is it possible for me to go in to my local fed bank and order a full $1000 bag? Heres the link for proof

http://www.frbservices.org/operations/currency/coin_depositing.html

Upvote 0

Zephr

Oct 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If you do figure out how to order these, I'd love to know as well!

People are willing to pay quite a bit of a premium on them on ebay sometimes, so even after fees I think a 20% profit will be possible. Turn that $1k into $1200 :headbang:

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zephr said:

People are willing to pay quite a bit of a premium on them on ebay sometimes, so even after fees I think a 20% profit will be possible. Turn that $1k into $1200 :headbang:

This is very true, although I suggest craigslist to narrow down your profit. 12% of $120 is $14.40. That's a $5.60 profit after all is said and done, not counting cost of gas and time to mail and listing.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that the FRB doesnt deal with regular people or take walk-in deposits. I think you have to be a financial institution to deposit/withdraw from them.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
A few years ago I was on a road trip in Florida for work, and did some CRHing. I asked one of the banks about big dollars, and they told me they could order bags of them. Said they had actually done it in the past. I was on the road, so never tried. I think it's just a matter of finding a bank willing to go thru the pain for you to do it maybe?

I'm in pretty good with some tellers. I'll inquire and let everyone know what I find out.

HH

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I'm assuming that since it's hardly worth the effort of selling these on ebay, the hope is that there would be a Morgan or Peace in the bag?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
dossier said:
Zephr said:

This is very true, although I suggest craigslist to narrow down your profit. 12% of $120 is $14.40. That's a $5.60 profit after all is said and done, not counting cost of gas and time to mail and listing.

Plus the real risk of having a buyer pull a scam and say that they never received their coins.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
dossier said:
Zephr said:

Plus the real risk of having a buyer pull a scam and say that they never received their coins.
That's what signature confirmation is for. Not many sellers know that any transcaction over $250.00 on Ebay requires it in order to protect the seller. Delivery confirmation is not enough if the buyer wants to run a scam. Also, any returned items over $250 from a buyer must be sent with signature confirmation as well, it works both ways. When I say "requires it" I mean when it comes to sending it back (as a buyer) or appealing a case (as a seller). Under $250.00 delivery confirmation is all that's needed.

Not that any of this really matters, I think kevinbomb123 (or if it were me) really just wants Ikes to search in hopes of fimding a Morgan or Peace in the lot.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think there may be a morgan or peace in the lot of Ikes?

And do you think a bank REALLY COULD order these things. My mom is a manager at a bank, I wonder?

:dontknow:

N8

db23

Mar 18, 2011
n8dagr8345 said:

And do you think a bank REALLY COULD order these things. My mom is a manager at a bank, I wonder?

N8
I know of at least 1 bank that will order them if I asked. I just don't think the chances of finding a morgan or peace are very good.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Most banks should be able to order them from their coin supplier. The thing is though, if they do the online form, they do not appear anywhere. So they have to physically call in the order to their coin supplier.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n8dagr8345 said:

N8
Anythings possible. I found one in a CWR of Ikes that I got at the bank a few years ago. So, if they get turned in to the bank by Joe Schmoe, then get sent back to the fed. and thrown into a hopper to be machine wrapped, why not? I know a guy that got 2 full rolls of Morgans once from the bank. Just like halves, stuff gets turned in and sent back out into the wild. I'm sure the finds would be few and far between, but yes it is possible.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Now here is my next million dollar question.... Do you think that coin machines would take IKE dollars and count them?
n8

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
n8dagr8345 said:
Now here is my next million dollar question.... Do you think that coin machines would take IKE dollars and count them?
n8

I don't think any coin machines will accept Ike dollars. I never really thought about it before but I don't even know if the coin machines I use will accept small golden dollar coins. I suppose they will but I don't think I'll ever try it. My luck they would probably be counted as quarters like I just found out the machines sometimes counts dimes as cents.

Btw, I just sold some clad Ike's less than an hour ago from an ad on Craigslist. I sold 115 for $125. Not much profit but at least I was able to dump them for a slight profit. Plus the guy was willing to drive all accross town and meet me just down the street from where I live. :)

If anyone is able to order an Ike box I'd sure be curious to know if they find any keepers.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, no coin counter will take Ikes (well, at least none of the ones I've encountered) Most of the time they will get caught in the machine and jam it up. Dumping Ikes are pretty easy though, just use them to pay for things or sell them via eBay or Craigslist. Worst case scenario just roll them up and take them to a bank.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting for years. I am very familiar with the avenue you are attempting. Save your time. Here are my results with the same request and the same documentation you have.

Suntrust - no
Boa - no
BB&T no
TD bank no
PNC no
Several Local c/u no
M&T no
5/3rd no
Comerica no
Wood forest no

As you can see I tried several local credit union, multiple regional banks, and a few national banks and the results never varied.

I would save your time but past results do not reflect any future potential.

Good luck.

crescendo

Apr 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting for years. I am very familiar with the avenue you are attempting. Save your time. Here are my results with the same request and the same documentation you have.

Suntrust - no
Boa - no
BB&T no
TD bank no
PNC no
Several Local c/u no
M&T no
5/3rd no
Comerica no
Wood forest no

As you can see I tried several local credit union, multiple regional banks, and a few national banks and the results never varied.

I would save your time but past results do not reflect any future potential.

Good luck.

Apologies to bring up an old thread if that is undesirable. However, in my hunt for Ikes doing google searches, saw this thread and found a solution which could really help people out willing to shell out a few extra dollars for them. Perhaps a bit pricey, but they actually do have eisenhower dollar coins in stock! I know if contacted to buy more than what they list, they'll cut a wholesale deal. Otherwise, kind of stuck paying their price.

Last edited by a moderator:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

You can also buy lots and lots and lots and lots of Ikes on eBay too.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread lets lock it and send it away 8-) People advertising Ike's I don't like's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions