47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's that time of year...

The holidays are upon us. That is good if you are a creative coin roll hunter. As a veteran I will enlighten many of the new breed on a great way to score this time of year.

Pay attention and follow along...

People will do desperate measures in desperate times, especially when it comes to putting toys under the tree for their kids or putting a holiday meal on the table for the family.

Some places you may find grampa's coin collection turned in may be your local grocery store or major toy store. You may also try Wallyword type retailers, and dollar stores.

The way these coins get to the store may not be directly from a family trying put together a hardscrabble holiday, but you may also have the coins that we're acquired in the dark of the night and need to be laundered.

Either way those coins are out there for the vigilant hunters. Time to cultivate those relationships with store managers, if you have not already done so.

By the way, I've had VERY good luck with this in areas hit by the current economic disposition.

Good luck and happy hunting

Upvote 0

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's that time of year...

Thanks for this post. I hope to find a couple of good collections this Holiday Season.

I hope the finds really do peak in this time frame, November-February.

This is the word on the street.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

where exactly would you go in a grocery store or wal-mart to ask for coins? other than cashiers?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's no decent black friday deals this year though :(. The best one is a single TV at Best Buy. $199.99 for a 46" 1080 LCD tv. And only the first dozen people in line will get one. :dontknow:

Th3Offspring said:
where exactly would you go in a grocery store or wal-mart to ask for coins? other than cashiers?

Try a customer service counter where returns are accepted.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Th3Offspring said:
Commie-mart and grocery stores many times contain small banks.

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Everywhere I go and spend money, I always ask "do you have any unusually large coins in your register?". I then to ask the manage if anybody has recently paid in large coins.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the nice post, hopefully the holidays this year are very bountiful for all of us CRHers here!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread