Best denomination to search to find gold?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aim high much?

I guess if you want to find gold coins, look for quarter size and smaller. Your friend will be volume and probably customer rolls. If you really have ambition, find a bank that regularly has rolled Eisenhower dollars and hope and pray for a double eagle :tongue3: can you imagine???

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a guy found a foreign gold coin in penny roll.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding gold coins always seemed like a stretch to me, and I have not found any yet...but, in the past 16 months I have found [2] gold rings in the reject bins of coin machines while dumping!!! One was 10kt with a current melt value of $125 and and the other was 14kt with a melt value of $230 - I have kept them both. I have also found a sterling silver ring in the reject bin as well in additional to dozens of silver coins, tokens and foreign keepers as well! :icon_sunny: Moral of the story: search as much as you can and always check the reject bin of your coin machines!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Want to get Gold on a regular basis, and get it fast as possible?

Then do CRH in volume, get the silver, and trade it for Gold.

This is guaranteed to be your best shortcut to GOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD!

Keep on Rollin' !

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it really depends on the gold coin, but British Sovereigns are closest to the nickel/penny in diameter (a nickel is 21.21 MM, full sovereign is 22.05 MM, a penny is 19.05 MM and a half sovereign is 19 MM). Quarter Eagles are quite close to the dime (18MM vs 17.91 MM for the dime).

But, check the bags if you want gold :icon_thumright: the slight differences are likely to separate the coins out into a "junk" pile with the large industrial sorter, but an ordinary bank sorter will sort them into the bag :icon_thumright:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many a gold coin ................................................ (to bad they were all plated ) :laughing9:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Try $1.
Lots of gold coins there :tard:

Attachments

• sac.jpg
    sac.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 658

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The current $5 AGE is about the size of a dime so maybe you could search a bazillion dimes and get lucky. :tongue3: I believe someone on this board has found one. I don't remember who.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter in law found 2 gold coins that were mixed in with dime rolls. I believe it was 2.50 gold coin. It had the native American with the big head dress. She worked at a bank and she gave one to the other teller. Find of a lifetime. She sold hers to help pay for collage.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rolls of $2.50, $3, $5, $10 and $20 coins.

Good luck finding a bank that can order them though...

In all honesty, your best bet is to buy bags instead of rolls. As bags are only filtered by the one machine and there is frequently coins that are similar in size, but not exact mixed in (usually foreign).

Any denomination could have one if you are lucky. The big problem is being at the right place at the right time as not many people with gold coins accidentally mix them in with their pocket change.

Finding a gold coin in a roll is a lot harder (I would say at least 1000 times harder and I still feel I am guessing low) as it processed a second time and must pass both the original coin machine's size/weight filter as well as the rolling machine's size/weight filter.

White Silver

Oct 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone on this forum found a 1/4 ounce AGE in a quarter roll once

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Neat stories and discussion. seems that dimes are the best to find gold. and this is more of a curiosity, not a goal :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread