Post Office

lockespop

Nov 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I'm fairly new, just a few weeks in. I've read a lot of posts and didn't see anything addressing this topic, so I thought I'd ask.

Over the past few weeks of starting this hobby I've had the opportunity to do a bunch of daily road trips through different areas, and I've learned a lot. I've talked to a lot of tellers and bank managers, and these discussions have generally been very positive.

On several occasions over the past few weeks I've walked into banks and asked about the availability of halves, if I could order boxes, and so on...In conversation between tellers and managers I've heard them say multiple times that they order half dollars for the post office in their town.

So my question is this; What would a post office want with halves? Has anyone tried acquiring halves directly from the post office?

It's a curiosity...

Upvote 0

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very weird.. I have never heard that. I dunno what would be worse though, dealing with a postal worker or bank teller :laughing9:

I have dumped $60 worth at a post office once, had an expensive shipping bill and didn't have much cash. She thankfully obliged to take my halves that appeared fed wrapped but I had already gone through them :thumbsup:

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The post office is a government owned business, as you know the government (or Fed Bank) has a surplus of half dollars and dollar coins which no one wants to use. In a small effort to try to get them into circulation they are given out in change by the post office, or at least thats what they try to do.

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be a regional thing. I've asked my PO if they had halves, and every clerk has said they don't even remember seeing one. =

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I bet someone that works at the post office is a silver seeker. That is the most likely reason.

FWIW, I routinely dump spend LOTS of halves at my post office for shipping. They even tease me about it. I spend up to $100 a week in shipping, and I pay the entire bills in halves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread