Customer-wrapped vs. machine-wrapped rolls

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like most people really prefer customer-wrapped rolls, but I have a difficult time finding those at my banks. All the rolls I get are typically machine-wrapped rolls (which is a shame when it destroys a nice coin on the end by scouring it). My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in detail on the board, but wondering why there's a strong preference for customer-wrapped rolls (if I'm perceiving this correctly) and how people manage to get them.

I'm thinking that the obvious answers may be that customer-wrapped rolls are coming directly from the public and there's a greater chance someone has included something from a long-sitting cache of coins, etc., and secondly, people may ask tellers directly if they can give them customer-wrapped rolls, but perhaps the answers are much different than these.

Thank you--

Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Dodeskaden said:
why there's a strong preference for customer-wrapped rolls

I'm thinking the obvious that customer-wrapped rolls are coming directly from the public and there's a greater chance someone has included something from a long-sitting cache of coins, etc.,

You've answered your own question. As for availability, bank rules vary from location to location. If you find a bank willing to part with CWR, keep going back. If not, move on.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion of them is this-
Customer wrapped can be hard to find, however, they have the potential to be an entire roll of silver, that little Johnny stole from his grandpa. Also, some self coin counting machines will refuse silver coins, so that may stop some from entering into machine wrapped rolls. People do tend to have more luck with customer wrapped rolls however, its definitely out there in machine rolls too. I would say do whichever you can find/afford. I have had tons of skunks from Customer rolls, and tons from machine wrapped too.

If you can afford a $500 box of halves, go for it! You never know what you may get... If you have less money to spend, or not the best means to get them, then just keep your eye out for customer rolls when you can find them.

N8
Read through the threads- this topic has been discussed tons of times. But this is my abridged version for you.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always preferred cust rolls, even cust dime rolls, which i've seached about $20k of this year.
Savvy tellers at all three of my supply banks are now pilfering the silver dimes from cust rolls, just as they have done with the halves in the last year or two.
My option is to go back to box ordering.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the percieved preference stems from the allure of the "solid roll"

However you could easily find endless CWR that is just someones dumps.

In the long run the average is going to be about the same.

I've done hundreds of thousands of halves and at least one hundred thousand in dimes since june and there is no evidence to lead me to believe that one is significantly better than the other. I've had boxes with 40 silver halves, rolls with 6-7, Dime boxes with 9-10 silver, rolls with 3-5, 1 even had 16 dimes. Never seen a solid and I don't imagine I ever will, to those that have found some consider yourselves extremely lucky. You are beyond 3 sigma on the bell curve!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

The law of large numbers is a good approximation. I would say you need to do at least 100 grand to find your expected value. Your expected value may differ than other geopgraphic areas but within your Fed district it should hold pretty true.

For me it is 2 halves per box, 1 dime per box. and my halves are about a 7:1 ratio of 40% : 90% on a typical month.

HH,
Bigheed

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The appeal of the CWR is indeed that solid roll, or better yet rolls. If you're ever going to hit a truly BIG score, which honestly might not ever happen, its much more likely to come from CWRs than boxes IMO.

My single best CWR score absolutely crushes my lifetime finds from boxes. However, that was likely a once-in-a-lifetime score that most CRHers probably won't have the pleasure of experiencing. But even throwing that single score out, I still have found more from CWRs than boxes...a lot more.

The problem with CWRs is that you can't always find them. Also, they can all be dumps - but the exact same thing can be said for boxes. Give me my choice and I'll take the CWRs over MWRs all day every day. My advice is to order boxes regularly, but pick up every CWR you come across and hope for the best. Good luck!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found silver in a box. All of my finds have been in CWR or loose.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
I think the percieved preference stems from the allure of the "solid roll"

However you could easily find endless CWR that is just someones dumps.

In the long run the average is going to be about the same.

I've done hundreds of thousands of halves and at least one hundred thousand in dimes since june and there is no evidence to lead me to believe that one is significantly better than the other. I've had boxes with 40 silver halves, rolls with 6-7, Dime boxes with 9-10 silver, rolls with 3-5, 1 even had 16 dimes. Never seen a solid and I don't imagine I ever will, to those that have found some consider yourselves extremely lucky. You are beyond 3 sigma on the bell curve!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

The law of large numbers is a good approximation. I would say you need to do at least 100 grand to find your expected value. Your expected value may differ than other geopgraphic areas but within your Fed district it should hold pretty true.

For me it is 2 halves per box, 1 dime per box. and my halves are about a 7:1 ratio of 40% : 90% on a typical month.

HH,
Bigheed

Good points! In my opinion, CWRs are way better producers of silver in my area, upstate New York! If my memory serves me correctly, in 16 months of CRHing, I have found 16 solid rolls of silver: [12] halves and [4] dimes and about [4] rolls of dimes with 40+ silvers in them and a bunch of half dollar rolls with 10+ silvers in them! I guess that makes me lucky but I think it can all be attributed to hard work!!! :icon_sunny: I just wish the boxes yielded half as good as my CWRs, then I could hang out with the big boys [CnC and db23]! :tongue3:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
The appeal of the CWR is indeed that solid roll, or better yet rolls. If you're ever going to hit a truly BIG score, which honestly might not ever happen, its much more likely to come from CWRs than boxes IMO.

My single best CWR score absolutely crushes my lifetime finds from boxes. However, that was likely a once-in-a-lifetime score that most CRHers probably won't have the pleasure of experiencing. But even throwing that single score out, I still have found more from CWRs than boxes...a lot more.

The problem with CWRs is that you can't always find them. Also, they can all be dumps - but the exact same thing can be said for boxes. Give me my choice and I'll take the CWRs over MWRs all day every day. My advice is to order boxes regularly, but pick up every CWR you come across and hope for the best. Good luck!

I remember your huge score but I am not a charter member so could you please post a link for all of us so we can read about it again? I think you had like 50+ solid rolls of 40%ers if I remember correctly!!! That must have given you some serious chills! :thumbsup:

HH,

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here I've found that a bank with a couple customer rolls=good, a bank with lots of CWR=dumps. When I've commented on how that many rolls is unusual the teller always says "It's weird, but there are these guys who come in with hundreds of them."

I know the hardcore routine is buy them all, but I could go through $2000 in verified dumps every week if I went that route. Usually I'll get 1-5 rolls and see if they look like dumps.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in my case the law of large numbers works because I am in a huge city with huge circulation and I source from multiple banks. So I am living up to its name

I can conceed that in areas that are single sourced with limited availability through the bank the law might not hold up.

Statistically the solid roller is an outlier, outside the normal 99.7% distribution, If you removed the outliers and had a way to compile all your data in minitab or something I would wager they would be pretty close.

That being said I agree with Arkie do every CWR you can get your hands on because in my case the average is ~ the same and you have the added chance of the outlier "solid roll". However don't quit the "day job" that being as many boxes as your bankroll and dump cycle can allow you to do, the "Average finds" are what keeps the piling growing consistently, at least for me!

I'm not trying to take anything away from your dream scores....believe me I would love to get one someday, I am just not holding my breath about it.

HH,
Bigheed

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
$ilver$urfer said:
I remember your huge score but I am not a charter member so could you post a link for all of us so we can read about it again. I think you had like 50+ solid rolls of 40%ers if I remember!!! That must have given you some serious chills! :thumbsup:

HH,

Here ya go.

Thanks man - that was an EPIC score ABM!!! Definitely one of the most valuable single scores in the history of this sport!!! :icon_sunny:

HH,

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,414883.msg2955816.html#msg2955816

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
I believe in my case the law of large numbers works because I am in a huge city with huge circulation and I source from multiple banks. So I am living up to its name

I can conceed that in areas that are single sourced with limited availability through the bank the law might not hold up.

Statistically the solid roller is an outlier, outside the normal 99.7% distribution, If you removed the outliers and had a way to compile all your data in minitab or something I would wager they would be pretty close.

That being said I agree with Arkie do every CWR you can get your hands on because in my case the average is ~ the same and you have the added chance of the outlier "solid roll". However don't quit the "day job" that being as many boxes as your bankroll and dump cycle can allow you to do, the "Average finds" are what keeps the piling growing consistently, at least for me!

I'm not trying to take anything away from your dream scores....believe me I would love to get one someday, I am just not holding my breath about it.

HH,
Bigheed

You are absolutely correct. The best way to accumulate anything is to make steady, regular "deposits" and let it build up over time. My grandfather began preaching that to me way back when I got my first job, and he was absolutely correct. Waiting to hit the lotto, so to speak, may in the end find you not having much to show for your efforts. I do like buying a ticket every now and then though - just in case! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread