first ender

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean...I had a 1920 Walking Liberty ender in one of my boxes last night. It was the only keeper in that particular box...wow, what are the odds of that??!

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had one franklin ender a month ago:) that made me happy

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had a WL as an ender a few weeks ago.

As crazy as it sounds, it was like a Brinks worker stacked it upright so whoever opened the box could see it. That WL was the only keeper in the entire box.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Brush64 said:
I know what you mean...I had a 1920 Walking Liberty ender in one of my boxes last night. It was the only keeper in that particular box...wow, what are the odds of that??!

10%

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
suprdave said:
got my first ender in a $500 bag of halfs this week . wow that surely was special a 1964 90% half . it sure gets your blood boiling . love this hobby Suprdav

Sorry if I misunderstood, but how can you possibly get an "ender" in a bag of halves?

-K

db23

Mar 18, 2011
K said:
suprdave said:
got my first ender in a $500 bag of halfs this week . wow that surely was special a 1964 90% half . it sure gets your blood boiling . love this hobby Suprdav

Sorry if I misunderstood, but how can you possibly get an "ender" in a bag of halves?

-K
By getting a bag of rolls? I know my brother has gotten them this way too. I guess they were out of boxes, so they shipped the rolls in vault bags.

onelife

Jul 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a benjamin ender last week that had a walker ender on the other side-
what are the odds of that combination.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 percent of the halfs i get each week come 50 rolls in a bag with a zip tye and a metal band around the sack and its marked $500 . i think the bank i do business roll their own coins for all the neighbor banks and band them this way . occasionally and very seldom do i get a box instead of a bag . i guess when they run short they have to order from the fed . hope that explains how i got an ender in a bag. Suprdav

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had all sorts of enders for halves, 1964 ender, 40% enders, bicentennial enders :laughing9: , proof enders, NIFC enders, and even a panama half dollar ender.

I have never gotten any ender older than 1964 though, and I always look.

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Dok Holliday said:
Brush64 said:

10%

That's assuming that there are just as many WL's out there as Kennedys...but that is not the case. Sure, the mathematical odds are 10% because we are dealing with 100 "ender options" out of a 1,000 coin box; but again, I was thinking of the larger context of WL coins "out there" in relation to Bens and Kens. When you look at it that way, the odds are much smaller.

I'm not trying to split hairs...just thinking out loud. Either way, I loved looking down and seeing that beauty looking back up at me...even if it was the only keeper in the box :)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Brush64 said:
Dok Holliday said:
Brush64 said:

10%

That's assuming that there are just as many WL's out there as Kennedys...but that is not the case. Sure, the mathematical odds are 10% because we are dealing with 100 "ender options" out of a 1,000 coin box; but again, I was thinking of the larger context of WL coins "out there" in relation to Bens and Kens. When you look at it that way, the odds are much smaller.

I'm not trying to split hairs...just thinking out loud. Either way, I loved looking down and seeing that beauty looking back up at me...even if it was the only keeper in the box :)

The following is just Friday afternoon rambling - not to be taken seriously.

Thinking about odds/probabilities/etc can really twist your mind sometime. If it was known before hand that there was one (and only one) keeper in the box, then the odds are 1:10 (10%) that the keeper would be an ender.

If you first need to figure the odds of there being exactly one keeper in the box (and the one keeper being a WL, and the one keeper being a 1920 WL) before exploring the odds of that one keeper being an ender it gets wild.

I remember a demonstration in a prob./statistics course where the instructor had a deck of cards. The probability of him cutting a King of Diamonds was 1:52. Then, he put half of the deck in his shirt pocket. The probability of him cutting a King of Diamonds from the rest of the deck (from cards not in his shirt pocket) was . . . anyone?

Then, he looked at the cards were in his shirt pocket but didn't show anybody else. The probability of him cutting a King of Diamonds from the rest of the deck (from cards not in his shirt pocket) was . . . anyone?

Then, he showed 5 cards to a volunteer and put those cards in his desk drawer. The probability of him cutting a King of Diamonds from the rest of the deck (from cards not in his shirt pocket and not in his desk drawer) was . . . anyone?

It was a fun and enlightening demonstration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread