Bank coin counters that can tell a dime from a penny?

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
From reading past posts, I can tell that I am not the only one that has encountered bank coin counters that count dimes as pennies. I have the most experience with TD Bank's "Penny Arcade" where I have lost WAY too much money with dimes. I am hoping a CRHer out there can recommend a machine that can do this? Perhaps I am asking too much!!?! From looking around at other banks I have seen a couple other machines w/o trying them: a Jetsort 3000, a NF Strings machine, and Magner machine that has a conveyor belt?

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
You've got to just try them yourself. Some machines lose calibration depending on the method they use to sort, others simply have junk in them that causes them to malfunction. I usually use a JetSort machine and haven't had any of those issues, but another person could use the exact model of machine and have all sorts of problems. It really just depends on how often maintenance is performed on the machines.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Find one that spits out a receipt. It should show the dimes counted as pennies. Take your receipt to the teller, my bank credits the difference every time.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...buy one yourself off of a professional website. might cost ya, but you can guarantee accuracy.

if not, keep on rolling your coin. Nothing more I can say. This topic has been brought up several times in the past.

OP
OP
postvmvs

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I do have a coin counter, so I always know exactly how many of each denomination I am dumping. The "Penny Arcade" does print an itemized receipt and I am always shorted on dimes. This has happened at 4 different branches. I have brought up the discrepancy, but I have never been credited -- I didn't want to make too much noise and be cut off. I have to assume TD is making a healthy margin off these machines, since most people have no idea what they are dumping in and would never notice the loss. These machines seem to be particularly susceptible to miscounting dimes.

So.... I have been looking for a bank with a different machine and I was hoping a CRHer out there knew of one that works better.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I dump 1 or 2k a week in dimes at TD and the count is within $5 every time. The only time i had a problem with dimes, I told the teller and I got my $100 bucks back in a week. You also should dump one denomination at a time. HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
postvmvs said:
I do have a coin counter, so I always know exactly how many of each denomination I am dumping. The "Penny Arcade" does print an itemized receipt and I am always shorted on dimes. This has happened at 4 different branches. I have brought up the discrepancy, but I have never been credited -- I didn't want to make too much noise and be cut off. I have to assume TD is making a healthy margin off these machines, since most people have no idea what they are dumping in and would never notice the loss. These machines seem to be particularly susceptible to miscounting dimes.

So.... I have been looking for a bank with a different machine and I was hoping a CRHer out there knew of one that works better.
TD bank is not having their machine short you to reap the profit.
First off, if your count is off, and you are 100% sure that it is off, talk to the bank manager. The manager will send out the bags to be counted at wherever they send their coin bags. The only difference is, if the bag has a request to be subject to recount, the facility will credit TD bank for the overage, and give it to the customer who was shorted. This happened to me before, shorted $206.70. I was refunded a week later.

second... if you're being shorted less than $5, you shouldn't be complaining. You take the risk of being shorted with this hobby. Sometimes rolls of coins from boxes can be shorted too, making the odds of you being shorted doubled. I can understand if you are shorted $10+, but it is nothing to lose a dump bank over.

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Treeslayer said, A key for me has been to dump one denomination at a time. I have had better luck and far less errors using this method. Happy Hunting.

Dave

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have dumped dimes at five different local banks. Each counter has shorted me, so I don't do dimes too much.
When I mentioned that I only dumped dimes, I've been told that there must have been pennies in there, as "our machine doesn't make mistakes".
I asked if they could look in the penny bag and see, and they refused to do that.

OP
OP
postvmvs

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think TD is doing this on purpose, but the $5 to $10 each time has to go somewhere. I guess we all have our own opinion of what is acceptable! The last time I mentioned the loss the young teller changing a bag reached into the penny bag and pulled three dimes that were lying at the top of the bag and said there you go, there aren't any more!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
since I discovered that the coin counters I use aren't accurate with dimes I just use the coin counters for everything else and I dump my dimes rolled and boxed just as I got them at any one of the branches of the same bank that supplies them for me. A lot of the tellers know and trust me pretty well by now so it is no problem for them at all and it is probably even more convenient for me than using coin counters .And I can just use the drive thru which is even more convenient because I don't have to carry the coins inside. Plus I don't ever have to worry about being shorted - either by the machines or the rolls because the only counting I ever do is just to replace whatever keepers I find. If any of the rolls are short when I got them then they are short when I dump them - I don't know and I don't care as long as I'm returning them to the same bank (different branches) I got them from. I know short rolls are a minor expense compared to the expense and hassles of the coin counters (with dimes anyway) and the various other expenses associated with this hobby but if I can limit my expenses as much as possible and have a convenient method of p/u and dump then that means I'm able to crh a little more effectively and profitably. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread