How do you wrap your coins?

jduck1987

Greenie
Dec 6, 2011
North Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use funnels for my pennies, but I would never use one for dimes. Funnels are not accurate and can be off by up to 2 pennies sometimes, if they were off by two dimes you would be costing yourself a lot more that necessary.

jduck1987

Greenie
Dec 6, 2011
North Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
Coin machines really do make dumping so much less painful!

I will average $500 in pennies every week and could triple that if I didn't have to wrap them all before taking them to the bank. All of the coin counters in my county charge a minimum of 8%!

OP
OP
E

Ebeg1234

Aug 12, 2011
Florida
Madwest... Does it jam? also can you replace the other tubes w/ dime tubes and fill each tube w/ dimes.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebeg1234 said:
Madwest... Does it jam? also can you replace the other tubes w/ dime tubes and fill each tube w/ dimes.
Hi Ebeg:

I have the big brother to the sorter/counter that I linked to. I have not tried the smaller one. Mine is http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=133336

The one I have was $79 a few years ago. It has never jammed on me, but I don't put tons of coins through it on a regular basis. I have done many thousands $ in mixed coin, but have never run just dimes through it. It is relatively fast for mixed coins, so I suspect it would be for single denom. as well.

From what I can see of mine, there would be no easy way to go all dimes. You would have to disassemble it and rebuild it. I wouldn't attempt it myself.

They have changed the design of it since I bought and I think the cost has gone up a little as well.

Have you asked around to see if any of your banks take coin lock bags for deposit? In areas without counting machines, it seems more likely that banks have that service. That beats rolling and beats feeding the coin machines in banks.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I've found even coin counters aren't the best. I had always wanted one and got one for my birthday from Brookstone. It was the cheaper model. Well I did some trials with it to see how many times it was off or jammed up. I'd run stuff thru and then count the rolls to see if it was accurate. Well it kept coming up short by a coin or 2 on one denomination. And would jam up sometimes. I'd open the tray to get the tubes out and then coins would fall out of the top of the rolls. Well I don't want to go messing around with being short in my rolls so I just returned it. And a comment the employee made to another one was "oh we get alot of these back" Figures it was a cheap piece of crap that they put Brookstones name on. Wonder if the $100 model would have been better.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 bank has a free coin counter to account holders(charges 6% for non-members)
The other bank has a FREE coin counter for both members and non-members. Just found this bank, and the coin machine is real nice.

Axecutioner

Nov 16, 2011
SLO, CA / LV, NV
Primary Interest:
Other
I unroll the shotgun/plastic rolls and re-roll them in paper rolls, one at a time so I never have to count coins. I just replace whatever I keep. I did a box of pennies and a box of nickels today in about 2.5 hours that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread