My best score in over a month - a near solid roll & more!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
My best score in over a month - a near solid roll & more!

I hit several banks today on my way to and from work as I usually try to do most weekdays. I didn't have much luck this morning (just some clad Ike's and some loose clad halves @ a couple of banks). But...my first bank stop on my way home this afternoon way quite different. I got 2 clad halves from one teller and another teller had a full cwr of halves. She dumped out the roll on the counter to double check the count (even though I told her she didn't have to) and I saw the roll was loaded with silver. When I had a chance to check the roll a couple of minutes later I saw I had a near solid roll (19 out of 20) 40%ers. Needless to say I was (and still am) a happy hunter. :)

I then stopped @ my next bank and got 2 dime boxes and 15 clad Ike's & $2 in clad loose halves - no luck there (except maybe for the dimes I hope). Then @ my last bank today I got $8 in loose halves and scored a beautiful '66 SMS (has a very glossy looking finish), '67 & a '78S proof. :)

Here's my finds from the 2 banks:

First bank this afternoon:
Teller 1: 2 clad halves
Teller 2: 1 cwr: 2 x '66
6 x '67
7 x '68 (one has a holed drilled in it but I'm sure not complaining)
4 x '69
1 x '73D (I was thinking - what's this clad doing in here)

Last bank this afternoon:
$8 in loose halves: 1 x '66 SMS (near cameo-like condition - rather glossy anyway)
1 x '67
1 x '78S proof (cameo condition)

So even though I didn't quite score a solid roll @ the first bank I still managed to get a total of 21 x '40%ers (including one '66 SMS) and 1 clad proof half for the day. This is my best CRHing day since Mon. Oct. 31st (Halloween day) when I discovered I had 2 loaded half rolls I left in my car over the weekend (unsearched) that I got @ a bank the previous Friday.

I also found a '58D Rosie in about the 4th to the last roll when I was finishing up a box in my car after work today so it's been a good day for finding silver @ face. :)

HSH

Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Re: My best score in over a month - a near solid roll & more!

Nice score, maybe if you can post a picture of that SMS... I have found a few that I am pretty sure are SMS, but I'm not 100% because I start thinking it could be a dipped, buffed, or polished coin.....

Congrats on the good day of hunting.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: My best score in over a month - a near solid roll & more!

Sorry I'm not able to post any pic's yet but I just compared the '66 half I found today with a '66 half in a '66 SMS I have and the coins look very similar except the half in my SMS is a little shinier. But I'd say I fairly certain it's a '66 SMS half - esp since I found it with a '78S proof. Both coins likely came from the same person's collection. But even if it's not I wouldn't care too much - it's still a beautie - and the important thing is it's silver. :)

Btw, I'm a little disappointed I've been neglecting this bank I scored the near solid roll @ today. The teller who sold me the roll said it was from a customer who regularly brings in old coins - even big dollar coins - and old bills from the '30's. Since this is my 1st score @ this bank I hate to think of all the silver (and other finds) I've been missing out on @ this bank the past couple of years I've been CRHing. Needless to say this will certainly be a bank that I make regular stops @ from now on. And I'll make sure to start bringing some chocolate with me as well to help make sure I get the best CRHing customer service I can get @ this bank. :)

HSH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread