Advise About Ryedale Sorter

Quick$ilver

Feb 9, 2011
East Coast
I am buying myself a Ryedale for Christmas and want to go about it in the safest way. I know everyone who has posted about their own purchase mentions a guy named Andy. Have you guys paid him via credit card, prepaid credit card, paypal, ebay, etc...

Please tell me your experience and make recommendations as to how I should pay for it. Also what is the official website for Ryedale.

Thanks & HH

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard that he takes trade (Ag). Maybe you can get one for $20 face :dontknow:

I've never dealt with him, but very credible sources have raved about him. I've never seen anything less than great things about the customer service.

Personally, I just couldn't get past the cost.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
I've heard that he takes trade (Ag). Maybe you can get one for $20 face........

Andy is a great guy to work with, and very fast in getting back to you if you have any questions.

I traded silver for my Ryedale Penny Mizer. At the time silver was at around 23X face, so I traded 3 rolls of silver dimes (found from hunting) for it. Andy was happy, and I felt like I got a $350 (that was the price at the time) machine for $15.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recomend Andy. Stand up guy, he will treat you right. Since your joining the world of cent sorting come on over to realcent and join the discussion.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I have a Ryedale. After a 3 months or so, the coins would get jammed together in the bottom of the wheel all the time. When I use it now, I just manually feed them down the coin comparitor. I no longer can fit a bunch in the hopper without them getting jammed. I'd say it's ok if you really have plans to do a ton of pennies. It's a lot of money to pay for one since prices of copper have come down.

I've pretty lowered the amount of penny sorting of late. Copper prices have come down and unless the government allows melting of them, I'm down to do only a couple boxes a month. I do like to search them for wheats. Any old S-mint wheat here is great and this is a great area for finding old S-mint wheats.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
I have a Ryedale. After a 3 months or so, the coins would get jammed together in the bottom of the wheel all the time. When I use it now, I just manually feed them down the coin comparitor.
You have to pull the wheel and clean everything and then lube the little kicker. When I had mine and it started jamming I knew it was clean time. Then it would run like a top. Cents are cruddy/dirty little things, just look at your fingers after feeding a bag or two into the hopper.

If you still have problems call Andy.

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are jamming under the wheel (i.e. doubling up), you may need a new feed wheel. It is a consumable component. The machine is not maintenance free, you need to clean out the gunk that builds up under the feed wheel, lubricate the spring and pawl assembly, and give the chute light coat of silicone spray. But as others have mentioned, get in touch with Andy if you are still having problems, he really goes out of his way to help.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Ditto what is posted above re: maintenance.

What I've done in addition to what the Ryedale site recommends is to take the wheel and the little gizmo next to it (black plastic deal) and wash them with grease cutting dish soap (Dawn). Like cyberdan wrote, cents are DIRTY little beggars. Ensure the 'wheel' is dry, lube the little kicker, and let 'er rip.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
called him up and paid with a credit card. no problems. i have also ordered replacement wheels and a couple of hoppers. these parts wear out just like tires on a car.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
postvmvs said:
If they are jamming under the wheel (i.e. doubling up), you may need a new feed wheel. It is a consumable component. The machine is not maintenance free, you need to clean out the gunk that builds up under the feed wheel, lubricate the spring and pawl assembly, and give the chute light coat of silicone spray. But as others have mentioned, get in touch with Andy if you are still having problems, he really goes out of his way to help.

Hmm didn't know that. That's exactly what was going on (doubling up). The machine didn't even go through that many coins. I searched perhaps 3K worth within the last year or so both with the machine or eye. I'd say it only ran optimum for three months. The shoot was giving me problems initially and I fixed that by having the machine tilt forward more. Sounds like a lot of work. I'm not doing a lot right now so I'll just continue to feed them through the comparitor manually. When I need to ramp it up, I'll try to get a new feed wheel. I'll ramp up if they change the melting law or if copper prices go back up. Tough market to sell into right now. Last time I checked on Feebay, they were going at a rate of 1.4 cents for 1 copper cent. Hard work if you also add fees. Thanks for the info.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Andy is the most honest guy in the world- no problems.
Best personal service ever.

OP
OP
Q

Quick$ilver

Feb 9, 2011
East Coast
Ryedale arrived yesterday. It had no problem blazing through the $250 of unwrapped pennies I had prepared. This thing is ridiculous... about 28% copper and 150+ wheats in 1.5 hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions