New guy checking in with questions

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hi all,
Just started MDing this summer and I'm really enjoying. It has lead me to another new hobby- Coin Collecting, which has lead me to another new hobby Coinroll Hunting. I've done a little roll hunting the last couple weeks and found a few goodies. Then I decided to try my hand a halves. First I hit 3 banks and came up with about $100 worth of halves. Searched those and found a few goodies. Then I got lucky on Friday and found a box of halves.
My totals after $600 in halve is:
62 - 40%
10 - proofs
5 - Bens
1 - Walker

Is this normal of just beginers luck? Also once I amassed a good size chunk of 40% where is the best place to sell them?

Upvote 0

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Can't speak for others, but it seems like every know and then someone does really well. I have seen posts with insane numbers here. As for myself you are well ahead of the curve on me. I don't have any proofs and 2 bens. I have a little more 40% and 1 more walker, plus about 12 64 kennedy's. However that was out of over $6000 in halves so far.

Congratulations I hope you luck keeps up like that. One more set of $600 and you might pass me. I did get the biggest chunk of mine from one box though. So you never really know.

Postalrevnant

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Those are good returns for sure, but not too unusual. The more you turn, the more you find. As for selling them, you might try eBay. If your not into the eBay thing, then try Kitco.

http://www.kitco.com/

Best of luck, and welcome to your new found addictions!

Paul

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
fruitbat, you did great. I have bought $1000 worth before and only found a very few 40%.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats........... The more different banks you visit the more chances of the silver. When you start thinking of it as profit, you are doing it wrong.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Ditto for me.... I have went through 5 or 6 thousand in halves so far, the bulk of my findings were from one box! Always something interesting, though, even if its just a couple pieces. Found a couple Irish Punts a while back, a couple Proofs in great shape, a few holed coins, along with the usual assortment of 40 percent and 90 percent coins. I have yet to find a Walker or a Benjamin, though.

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sandman256 said:
Congrats........... The more different banks you visit the more chances of the silver. When you start thinking of it as profit, you are doing it wrong.

I'm hoping to keep my streak going this week. I've ordered 2 boxes of halves that should be here on Weds. Can hardly wait to see what's in there.

And I agree as with most hobbies ,they should be done for fun, not profit. But it would be nice to make a little profit off the 40% coins so I can buy more coins. The proofs, Bens and Walkers I'll probably never sell.

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Really nice haul!!! I have had some really good luck at times and other times have went thru 3-4 thousand and pulled 5 keepers. Seems like it kind of runs in spurts for me , you just have to keep looking . HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread