The long awaited 6 boxes

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week wednesday I went to the bank, to pick up a box of dimes and I ordered 6 boxes of dimes. Well I went back to that bank last friday and it seemed they forgot to order them so they did order them that time. The boxes finally came in today so here are the results.

Box 1
2500 2011s

Box 2
2500 2011s

Box 3
2500 2011s

Box 4
2500 2011s

Box 5
A single 1964 in the very last roll.

Box 6
A 1968 50% and in the very next roll a 1946 king George VI, its been a while since I found a king.

Kind of disappointing with all the 2011s, I was hoping I could end the year with a nice silver score but I guess not.
I went to subway for lunch and there was an RBC right next to it so I walked in there and bought a box of pennies. I did my usual "new bank routine" and asked "You wouldn't happen to have any 50 cent pieces, silver dollars, $1 or $2 bills or just anything plain old would you"? And I received a typical "new bank" response, "Uhhh we don't have any old bills, no 50 cent pieces, we had a silver dollar here for the longest time and I just didn't know how we would get rid of it but I think someone came in last week and bought it."
I have heard something like this so many times I am sure the tellers are lying, they are just trying to annoy me with "You were so close but too late."
I will post the pennies when I get around to searching them.

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
That Canadian Guy said:
Last week wednesday I went to the bank, to pick up a box of dimes and I ordered 6 boxes of dimes. Well I went back to that bank last friday and it seemed they forgot to order them so they did order them that time. The boxes finally came in today so here are the results.

Box 1
2500 2011s

Box 2
2500 2011s

Box 3
2500 2011s

Box 4
2500 2011s

Box 5
A single 1964 in the very last roll.

Box 6
A 1968 50% and in the very next roll a 1946 king George VI, its been a while since I found a king.

Kind of disappointing with all the 2011s, I was hoping I could end the year with a nice silver score but I guess not.
I went to subway for lunch and there was an RBC right next to it so I walked in there and bought a box of pennies. I did my usual "new bank routine" and asked "You wouldn't happen to have any 50 cent pieces, silver dollars, $1 or $2 bills or just anything plain old would you"? And I received a typical "new bank" response, "Uhhh we don't have any old bills, no 50 cent pieces, we had a silver dollar here for the longest time and I just didn't know how we would get rid of it but I think someone came in last week and bought it."
I have heard something like this so many times I am sure the tellers are lying, they are just trying to annoy me with "You were so close but too late."
I will post the pennies when I get around to searching them.

Grats on the 1946. I just pulled a 1949 today out of a roll. I saw a Canadian Dime and almost tossed it into the bag of discarded dimes but I decided to check it over since it didnt look like the others ( 90's to 2008 ) that I had found, saw a 1949 and knew I had my first Canadian keeper.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you do Canadian Halves? I found a 1963 CA Halve in my box of US halves last week.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
palidin20603 said:
Why don't you do Canadian Halves? I found a 1963 CA Halve in my box of US halves last week.
We don't have that many halves in Canada. All minted were not intended for circulation and especially in 60's mint made them only for collectors.
Canadian Guy, for 2011 new boxes, did you see the brown paper seal on them?
Good score on those silver dimes, recently pulled out of 32 rolls a 1947 no maple leaf dime :)

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
coinfinder said:
Congratulations on the George VI. What's the earliest monarch you've found?
A 1919 George V dime. It is so smooth an thin it looks like someone sanded it down or something. I have found numerous George V small cents from the 20s and the 30s. I have found a 1909 wheat cent, which at the time, although it is american, would be under Edward VII.
So the answer to your question is George V.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian hunter said:
palidin20603 said:
We don't have that many halves in Canada. All minted were not intended for circulation and especially in 60's mint made them only for collectors.
Good score on those silver dimes, recently pulled out of 32 rolls a 1947 no maple leaf dime :)
Canadian hunter you are somewhat wrong. The 50 cent piece has been minted for circulation since the beginning of Canadian coinage and it was a well circulated coin. In the 60s they were made for circulation and people circulated them. But when they made them from pure nickel, instead of silver and they reduced the size, they still made them for circulation but they became less popular. As people started hoarding silver coins, many 50 cent pieces were amongst the hoards so they became uncommon to find in circulation. They became uncommon to the point of if you found a 50 cent piece you stashed it away, silver or not. This trend of keeping all 50 cent pieces became very popular to the point where virtually none were seen in circulation. People would get some from the bank and just hoard them away. But all this time the mint made them for circulation. In 2002 for the queens 50th anniversary of her coronation the mint made an unsuccessful attempt to get people to circulate the 50 cent piece and they minted over 14 million of them for circulation. All the same people did not use the 50 cent piece and the mint did not produce any for circulation in 2003 or 2004 because they had plenty of the coins in storage to meet the modest demand. Then in 2005 the mint produced 200,000 50 cent pieces that were NIFC and to be sold to collectors. On the collector market the 50 cent piece is very popular. So beginning in 2005 the 50 cent piece was officially produced not for circulation. It is still made but not for circulation. If a bank has a 50 cent piece it will have been brought in by someone who, chances are stashed it away a while ago. So banks do not typically carry the 50 cent coin and that is why we in Canada can not search them.
And Canadian hunter you should brush up on your facts about coinage.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
coinfinder said:
A 1919 George V dime. It is so smooth an thin it looks like someone sanded it down or something. I have found numerous George V small cents from the 20s and the 30s. I have found a 1909 wheat cent, which at the time, although it is american, would be under Edward VII.
i have yet to find a wheat penny older than 1912. great job on the 1909 wheat! :D I did however find a 1908 indian head penny in a penny roll

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
That Canadian Guy said:
coinfinder said:
i have yet to find a wheat penny older than 1912. great job on the 1909 wheat! :D I did however find a 1908 indian head penny in a penny roll
Nice indian. Last night I had a dream that I found 9 indians in the same roll. I wish.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice indian. Last night I had a dream that I found 9 indians in the same roll. I wish.
[/quote] dreams can be strange, I wonder why the number 9?? I'd go out tomorrow and buy a bunch of penny rolls. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
dreams can be strange, I wonder why the number 9?? I'd go out tomorrow and buy a bunch of penny rolls. :icon_sunny:
[/quote]
Well I bought a box of pennies on friday and I will search them today. I'm feelin' lucky. :laughing9:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! let us know how you do.

Do you find many foreign coins in your penny rolls other than American cents?

I find mainly canadian cents, sometimes island pennies(bahamas, bermuda, barbados...)

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That Canadian Guy said:
Canadian hunter said:
palidin20603 said:
Canadian hunter you are somewhat wrong. The 50 cent piece has been minted for circulation since the beginning of Canadian coinage and it was a well circulated coin. In the 60s they were made for circulation and people circulated them. But when they made them from pure nickel, instead of silver and they reduced the size, they still made them for circulation but they became less popular. As people started hoarding silver coins, many 50 cent pieces were amongst the hoards so they became uncommon to find in circulation. They became uncommon to the point of if you found a 50 cent piece you stashed it away, silver or not. This trend of keeping all 50 cent pieces became very popular to the point where virtually none were seen in circulation. People would get some from the bank and just hoard them away. But all this time the mint made them for circulation. In 2002 for the queens 50th anniversary of her coronation the mint made an unsuccessful attempt to get people to circulate the 50 cent piece and they minted over 14 million of them for circulation. All the same people did not use the 50 cent piece and the mint did not produce any for circulation in 2003 or 2004 because they had plenty of the coins in storage to meet the modest demand. Then in 2005 the mint produced 200,000 50 cent pieces that were NIFC and to be sold to collectors. On the collector market the 50 cent piece is very popular. So beginning in 2005 the 50 cent piece was officially produced not for circulation. It is still made but not for circulation. If a bank has a 50 cent piece it will have been brought in by someone who, chances are stashed it away a while ago. So banks do not typically carry the 50 cent coin and that is why we in Canada can not search them.
Why then most of dollars and half-dollars form 1960s are in close to UNC condition. I don't believe they were circulating starting from the 1959.
It's true, when banks have some on hand, it's someone stash cashed in. Once I found a stack of specimen nickel half-dollars, dollars and a proof half-dollar. Although I had a feeling that someone has gone through them a culled out all the silver ones. :dontknow:

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian hunter said:
That Canadian Guy said:
Canadian hunter said:
palidin20603 said:
Why then most of dollars and half-dollars form 1960s are in close to UNC condition. I don't believe they were circulating starting from the 1959.
It's true, when banks have some on hand, it's someone stash cashed in. Once I found a stack of specimen nickel half-dollars, dollars and a proof half-dollar. Although I had a feeling that someone has gone through them a culled out all the silver ones. :dontknow:
Millions and millions of 50 cent pieces were already in circulation buy that time so already the demand was easily met with 50 cent pieces say from the 40s and 50s. Then many millions more 50 cent pieces were minted in the 60s but most were not needed for demand. Like you said MOST from the 60s are CLOSE to UNC condition, which would generally grade about EF or AU, which for those types of coins they would have seen very modest circulation. Anyone at this time could have walked into a bank and got as many 50 cent pieces as they pleased because the supply greatly exceeded the fading out demand. So these coins would have circulated in moderation for 8 years tops until they were hoarded, compared to say a 50 cent piece from 1940 which would have circulated for about 28 years. My dad, who grew up during the 60s said that every now and then, in the 60s, you would get a 50 cent piece in your change but you would typically keep it. So if most people would get the coin in change and then throw it in their drawer never to see the light of day again, that should explain how they circulated and are generally still in high grades. Perhaps they just became unpopular circa 1959 but they circulated for a long time after that.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting info, thanks. The story of hoarding of silver coins can be compared to today's nickel nickels that are taken from circulation. Also when those coins from 1970 to 1981 will come out and will have a better quality compared to older 1940s nickels. What do you think about that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread