41 KB · Views: 14,922
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think what you daughter found is a gold-plated quarter. Not necessarily more collectible. Only has a cent or two worth of gold on it. But the gold plating may help slow future deterioration of the metal in the coin.

As the gold addition is considered a no-no, the coin does not have additional numismatic value. But it does look nice, and is an interesting addition to her collection. She can now state authoritatively: "I have a gold coin."

OP
OP
D

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That's very cool. She'll be so excited. When she found it we were at a dark restaurant and I couldn't tell even after she showed me until we got home. That will make a great addition to her collection. One she'll cherish for a long time.

I guess that's a private company that does that and sells them for a profit? Are there any other coins out there like that?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
It was part of a QVC or HSN coin sale. They put one each of the first 5 years or so of state quarters and plated them. Nice find, JP

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Dinero2005 said:
That's very cool. She'll be so excited. When she found it we were at a dark restaurant and I couldn't tell even after she showed me until we got home. That will make a great addition to her collection. One she'll cherish for a long time.

I guess that's a private company that does that and sells them for a profit? Are there any other coins out there like that?

Yep, there are gold plated everything, along with silver plated and chrome plated. Similarly in the "novelty" items are "colorized" coins, some of the Silver Eagles actually look quite good Colorized and sell for a small premium over the Eagle's base price. Flea markets abound with such things and they can be fun to collect. The thing is though, they won't have any resell over the coin's base price (and are considered to be damaged to a serious collector), so always buy them for cheap (don't buy the ones advertised on TV via the TV, if you want them buy them second hand for pennies).

Here are some of the altered coins I've found online that I think look decent:

61785_Obv.jpg

1_982011133829854.jpg

25996_rev.jpg

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a few gold plated clad coins. I stick them in my son's treasure chest along with the gold looking foreigns I find.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
They can be fun if you have someone that would appreciate them :) gold plated halves I tend to just throw back though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread