IKES

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Do any of you think i can go to a coin show and sell ikes to a dealer for a profit?

Just wondering, my local bank has $480 worth of IKES some guy bought from them, and returned them a day later. could I purchase those ikes, make the bank happy, and sell them for a profit?

**The banker was pretty mad the person returned them because he has no room for them**

Thanks for opinions. HH!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are also roughly 25-40 dealers at this place.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
conleytheking said:
Hm...I'd say craigslist would be your best bet
I am not a fan of craigslist or ebay, i'd rather spend them at face, but if a dealer would buy them for let's say anything above $1 a piece, I would hop on that! lol

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do eBay but craigslist is great.
Couldn't hurt anything...if you couldn't make a profit, then you still have your money.

triplejway

Jul 11, 2011
I've heard of dealers paying $1.05 for them, but I don't have any personal experience with that. I go the E-Bay route myself.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
BuffaloBoy said:
conleytheking said:
I am not a fan of craigslist or ebay, i'd rather spend them at face, but if a dealer would buy them for let's say anything above $1 a piece, I would hop on that! lol

So if a dealer would pay you more than $1 each, you would hop on it. If an individual person would pay you more than $1 each ... you are not a big fan of that and would rather spend them at face value.

I don't get that.

your chances of selling at a small profit are MUCH better on C.L. than from a dealer, who then would have to find tht same person to buy above $1 and still leave room for HIS profit. Ebay has fees. C.L. does not. It is easy. YOu can even meet them at the SAME coin fair if you want, making it feel like you are selling them "there". But to me, individuals' money sopends the same as dealer money.

I say try C.L. again. :-)

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
BuffaloBoy said:
conleytheking said:

So if a dealer would pay you more than $1 each, you would hop on it. If an individual person would pay you more than $1 each ... you are not a big fan of that and would rather spend them at face value.

I don't get that.

your chances of selling at a small profit are MUCH better on C.L. than from a dealer, who then would have to find tht same person to buy above $1 and still leave room for HIS profit. Ebay has fees. C.L. does not. It is easy. YOu can even meet them at the SAME coin fair if you want, making it feel like you are selling them "there". But to me, individuals' money sopends the same as dealer money.

Thanks... you kind of picked apart my words there,

I do not mind selling to individuals for profit, but do not want to deal with CL or feebay, I don't even know how to sell on feebay anyway!
hh

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
jrf30 said:
BuffaloBoy said:
conleytheking said:

I don't get that.

Thanks... you kind of picked apart my words there,

I do not mind selling to individuals for profit, but do not want to deal with CL or feebay, I don't even know how to sell on feebay anyway!
hh

Why don't you want to deal with Craigslist? It's free and easy as can be.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I've sold Ike's on eBay, and I get a little more than double face, but after fees, its not really worth the hassle. If you have a large number of them, it may be a good way to go. I always say there is no silver, but people still buy them.

tah06090

Nov 6, 2011
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-trac/ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold $55 ikes for $75 2 days ago on craigslist

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Category do LIST them under?
Collectables, General, Antiques ?

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
Coin dealers will be your worst place to get rid of them. The one I deal with said he would give me $201 for $200 face.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
corey237 said:
Coin dealers will be your worst place to get rid of them. The one I deal with said he would give me $201 for $200 face.

It's easily explained.

Coin dealers are middlemen. They, in turn, want to sell them....at a profit. Think of it as selling to a wholeseller.

CL and other such avenues are putting the coins in the hands (typically) of an end user. Someone who wants to keep them. Think of it as selling retail.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Just sold 60 Ikes for $100 on craigslist. got 5 $20 bills, KEEP THE IKES, people want them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread