Coinstar - What if I have a large amount of coins?

trancealot

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2011
Was just looking around on the Coinstar.com website and in their FAQ it states the following. Anyone ever tried calling this number?

What if I have a large amount of coins?
If you are an individual and think that you have more than $3,000 in coins, we may be able to provide special assistance. Please call our Customer Service department at 1-800-928-CASH.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstar charges a fee anyways, chances are their fee would be even higher on larger volumes of coin.

With their fee being ~9.8% as it is, (thats $49 for every box of halves!) I have to say that it is a rip-off and it is unlikely they would really "help" you.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like they don't their machine to get overloaded between pick-ups.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trancealot said:
Was just looking around on the Coinstar.com website and in their FAQ it states the following. Anyone ever tried calling this number?

What if I have a large amount of coins?
If you are an individual and think that you have more than $3,000 in coins, we may be able to provide special assistance. Please call our Customer Service department at 1-800-928-CASH.

Give the number a call and let us know what they say. :icon_thumleft:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I've spoken with them before. There is no volume discount or pickup option.

The special service that they mention is that they will tell you which machines near you have the most remaining capacity - so that you don't get there with your cache and find that the machine can't take it all in.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
I've spoken with them before. There is no volume discount or pickup option.

The special service that they mention is that they will tell you which machines near you have the most remaining capacity - so that you don't get there with your cache and find that the machine can't take it all in.

Thanks for the clarification. :icon_thumleft:

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
I met a guy who bought a glass 5 gallon water jug full of sand at a garage sale for $10 bucks which he was going to use for an art project for his front yard. He emptied the sand to find the jug was more than 3/4s full of coins. He took them too a coinstar and filled the machine...had to wait 3 hours for them to come empty it and ended up with $7000 after fees....Im sure this service could have been useful to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread