Any Canuck CRHers here??

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what denominations have produced the best for you.. I have tried quarters with poor to so so success... Only a couple in over 1k in searching... Perhaps this is normal with quarters.

Dimes have produced better with 9 for 1k... but it might be a factor in where I live.

My nearest bank of any size is 75 miles away.... so I can only get over every week or so.... and soon enough I will have searched their entire supply. I will start going into the larger centre and buying from them too.... but not for a while.

Halves I have not even tried yet... they did not circulate very much in Canada... so I am uncertain as to the effectiveness of searching those.

Any advice welcomed

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts

Upvote 0

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bartholomewroberts said:
Halves I have not even tried yet... they did not circulate very much in Canada... so I am uncertain as to the effectiveness of searching those.

That might just be the best reason to search them. In the US, halves circulated with regularity until the Kennedy Half came out. After that they disappeared. I'm not sure about Canada, but if you could get rolls of halves, you just might find some young queens and old kings.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as my experience tells, dimes are best to search for silver. Halves are only found occasionally and 99% of time they are nickel, not silver. Same scenario with dollars, unless someone cashes in someones collection. Quarters do not produce much, usually 1 silver per 1000$ searched.
You can always try nickels, just for fun. There is no silver nickels, but if luck is on you side, there is a slight chance of getting an American war nickel, which is 35% silver :)

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest it sounds as though you have no experience with coin searching in this fine country. I am not looking for an argument but I'm just saying. You probably won't ever be able to search 50 cent pieces because to say they do not circulate very much is an understatement, they just don't circulate. As the other Canadian on here said 50 cent pieces are rarely found and are mostly nickel. If you have ever seen a silver canadian 50 cent piece compared to one of nickel you will notice they are different sizes. In my experience if you want 50 cent pieces you need two things, patience and a good relationship with the teller(s). I am just curious but what part of the country are you in?
Also if you are looking for silver then dimes are the way to search for it. They are far and few but they are there, unlike quarters.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Question to Canadian Guy: have you ever found a silver dollar in bank and bough it for face value?

I actually found a pretty nice load of dollars and half dollars (all nickels :BangHead: ) at one bank. Good thing is, they have a mirror like surface. One half dollar was proof! Going to show my finds at some point.

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
To be honest it sounds as though you have no experience with coin searching in this fine country. I am not looking for an argument but I'm just saying. You probably won't ever be able to search 50 cent pieces because to say they do not circulate very much is an understatement, they just don't circulate. As the other Canadian on here said 50 cent pieces are rarely found and are mostly nickel. If you have ever seen a silver canadian 50 cent piece compared to one of nickel you will notice they are different sizes. In my experience if you want 50 cent pieces you need two things, patience and a good relationship with the teller(s). I am just curious but what part of the country are you in?
Also if you are looking for silver then dimes are the way to search for it. They are far and few but they are there, unlike quarters.

I was asking for advice... not an argument....And years back I did do CRH... It is only lately that I have 'returned to the fold', as it were.

I know that halves did not circulate here... in my 65 years I have only ever seen a handful in change.. Maybe it is different in B.C. than.......???

So Dimes it will be... Going to Nakusp today.. I will try the credit union up there to see if they have a few rolls for searching..

And I will ask the tellers at my regular bank to keep an eye open for me.

Many thanks

Bartholomewroberts

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I have a quick question, I know it is a side track from you current discussion.

Is there a 2005 or 2010 steel penny?
Is there a 2007 or 2008 zinc penny?

I haven't found them and I wonder if they exists.

I just found my first 1970 dime (in a US dime box)

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIhunter said:

The Canuck cents were copper until 1996... From that point on, they are/were made of a steel/nickel/copper mix.

They may look similar, but only those coppers from 1996 or earlier have any real copper content (98 per cent worth). The new ones are 94 per cent steel, 1.5 per cent nickel and 4.5 per cent copper, not nearly enough to melt down. (Robin Rowland/CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/realitycheck/sheppard/20060426.html

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
bartholomewroberts said:
MIhunter said:

The Canuck cents were copper until 1996... From that point on, they are/were made of a steel/nickel/copper mix.

They may look similar, but only those coppers from 1996 or earlier have any real copper content (98 per cent worth). The new ones are 94 per cent steel, 1.5 per cent nickel and 4.5 per cent copper, not nearly enough to melt down. (Robin Rowland/CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/realitycheck/sheppard/20060426.html

That is not correct,
The Canadian mint switch from mostly copper to copper plated zinc in 1997, beginning in 2002 they start releasing copper plated steel. Most years since they have made both! Including 2011! I am missing the above and not sure if they exist.

You can tell the difference between, copper plated zinc and copper plated steel with a magnet. Zinc like copper and silver is not magnetic. Steel like nickel is magnetic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread