Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Most banks require you to be a member to use them, without a charge.
My CU charges 10% if you aren't a member.
You may want to just explain that you are just a collector and it's just a hobby.

Then again, I have a loan with my CU....so maybe that's why the stay off my back.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I belong to 2 credit unions, whenever they give me crap, I tell them I am part owner (which is true)

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its just another scare tactic from the people that work there, they don't want to change the bags and lug them around.

kvilleification

Jan 4, 2012
Mid-Atlantic US
Primary Interest:
Other
The first time I went to one of my pickup banks, the teller asked me why I needed 2 boxes of pennies. I just told him that I was a collector. He asked for my account # and started to type in the computer for a while. He seemed to understand, or he reported me to the feds. I'm probably on a no-fly list and don't even know it. :sad1:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I open my CU account I made my intentions very clear to the branch manager. I also made clear my quantities, never had a problem. Matter of fact she has said keep the coins coming, job security!

Oh and on a side note my name is on do note fly list. What a pain in the a$$. I had to get a special letter from the TSA to prove I wasn't some IRA bomb terrorist.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a very efficeint way to dump them, but usually keep at least $50 in halves for my low end spending, pretty much anything $5 and under, man the younger cashiers have no idea whats going on when I hand over a fistfull of clads. Many of the self checkout lanes accept them as well, not sure what their capacity is, but could you imagine buying your groceries in all clads? It would take like 20 minutes to pay!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go through the amounts some of you do. In fact I've only done one large batch of halves. When I culled what I needed, I used the rest to pay half my mortgage. (I seriously do not like the bank that holds my mortgage.) I wrapped them, but if I could of handed them over unwrapped, I would have.

half dollar bill

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
some of the USbanks around here have coin machines. I dump 3 boxes or a bag with no problem. You do not even need an account. The only thing I fins strange is that some of these banks will sell me the bags, and some say they can't.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
The CU in my area lets "charities" use the coin sorters for no charge. Not that I've done it myself, just saying.......................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread