AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very true. but the way i see it is I spend alot less if i have 75 dollars in cents when otherwise it'd go to some food i don't really need to buy or other things. It tying up money for me is a good thing

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Experienced that too, but the thing is in this hobby, all finds are for face value ;D.

Out of ,let's say, 500$ of dimes, one can find 10 silver rosies, that will lead to a 499$ of dump. CRHer goes with that 499 to bank to exchange for cash, but the recent score, makes him to try his luck again. Most likely, he will dump dimes, then think for a second...hmm...Do you have any half dollars by any chance? The response, probably everyone on this forum will be glad to hear: Sure, we have that 10 CWR an old lady bring yesterday... exactly, what he's gonna do. Go away or spend 100$ on halves + buy some nickels, quarters and pennies, because most likely those halves were not the full part of someone's collection. Most likely all of these 499$ will be spent on other denominations.
This hobby is so addicting, it's like an endless cycle of searching->dumping->searching->dumping->infinity and beyond!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
my objective is to use my CRHing budget as efficiently and effectively as possible. If used properly (& with a certain degree of luck) a CRHing budget can produce phenomenal returns on your money which is one of reasons this is such a great hobby. :)

For example I've already made about a 50% return (based on current pm prices) this year on my current CRHing budget and it's only the 3rd week of Jan. Compounded annually that's literally phenomenal. Although I did have a very good week last week and I don't expect my returns to continue at this rate for the rest of the year but where else could I get a return on my money like that - except for maybe gambling (if I'm lucky) - and I don't gamble. But with this hobby I'm convinced my annual RISK FREE return on my money is probably better than just about any other type of investment I can think of. But I know that the size of a CRHing budget has a lot to do with the rate of return on your money and I'm not expecting to get rich anytime soon from this hobby because the total amount of return is somewhat limited in terms of total dollars. That's why it is best to use your budget as effectively and effectively as possible. :)

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Im not complaining by any means, and it is a good way to reduce unnecessary spending, BUT the constant lugging of boxes and dealing with dumping and piking up is what we fight to do, thats the work we put into it!

Delta2187

Sep 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Funny, very funny...

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all....you need to have a budget for your real life that encompasses everything - If you don't have a budget, you don't have a prayer.

Second - you need part of your budget to be your CRHing allotment that you can comfortably have "tied up" in boxes and never use for spending, basically like it was a long term bond or CD.

BUT the constant lugging of boxes and dealing with dumping and piking up is what we fight to do, thats the work we put into it!

Ummmm ;D , This hobby requires the amount of work that you want to put into it personally. So, if you want to do big volume, ya it is alot of lugging around but you knew that going in :D

Get a cart if the lugging around is to much, for me its good exercise. CnC's and DB23 both posted links for some excellent collapsible carts a few times.

HH
Bigheed

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, CRH is an endless cycle. At the same time though as others have said managing your budget is key. When I first started I was turning over my entire bankroll and it was starting to consume way too much time. Volume is great but finding the right amount to keep both sanity and some available funds not in coin is essential.

As far as the lugging of the coins, yeah it sucks. I live on a non-handicap accessible second floor apartment so I have no choice but to carry 50lb bags down stairs. It's a bit of a workout which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm probably going to buy one of the folding carts though anyway just because the tellers would appreciate it and it makes it easy to transport the boxes to my car.

Here is the link for the one CnC suggested. http://www.harborfreight.com/330-lb-capacity-foldable-aluminum-platform-truck-92624.html

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I make it a point to never eat where I dump.

Exactly. That's why, to our family, McDonald's is a nice nationwide chain of bathrooms for our road-trips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread