Steel cents

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I understand the nickel act, but not the cent.

"A penny, which consists of 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper, cost 2.41 cents to produce last year"

According to the metal content value, it's only about half a cent to produce the cent itself.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
brendan1414 said:
I understand the nickel act, but not the cent.

"A penny, which consists of 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper, cost 2.41 cents to produce last year"

According to the metal content value, it's only about half a cent to produce the cent itself.

Yes, but the mint needs to ship the coins out, which is an extra cost, so it is considered part of the "production cost."

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it, we could "save" millions by making our money even more worthless :BangHead:

Perhaps if we hadn't inflated our dollar to oblivion we wouldn't have had this problem....

Lets get back on the gold (or silver, or platinum, etc.) standard, readjust our currency and actually have a currency that has value.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:
I love it, we could "save" millions by making our money even more worthless :BangHead:

Perhaps if we hadn't inflated our dollar to oblivion we wouldn't have had this problem....

Lets get back on the gold (or silver, or platinum, etc.) standard, readjust our currency and actually have a currency that has value.

I totally agree!

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Generic_Lad said:

You would have to convince every other country to do this as well or they would suck all of the silver and gold out of our country at face value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions