Bags not boxes

kvilleification

Jan 4, 2012
Mid-Atlantic US
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11 said:
Evening everyone,

Do you know of any armored services, like Brinks, that deliver coins to banks and credit unions in bags instead of boxes? The credit union I get my coins from uses Brinks, which delivers coins in boxes.

Thanks,
Bart

I think the only way to obtain bags of coin is from a coin counter. The bank has to be willing to "sell" you those bags full of coin. But all of the armored services use a machine to roll their coin which get transported in boxes.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
What Kvill said.

I picked up a bag from a bank today, $560.50 worth of dimes. Believe it or not, it takes me more time to go through the bag than it does $750 worth of dimes in boxes.

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Kvill & EE.

I was afraid most of the services roll and box the coins.

Last week the CU did sell me $3000 worth of quarters that were bagged...it was a bust. The bag of pennies that came in with the quarters was GREAT.

Opening the rolled coins, I can keep up with one of my sorters. I would like to get bags because I made a couple of sorters and it would be great to pour 500 or so in each and let 'em roar...or clank as the case might be.

Again, thanks for the replies.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought bags of halves twice, the first time was an amazing score with over 40 keepers. The second was a bust and most likely someones dump. The credit union from bag one has my cell number, they will call when that bag fills up again. :icon_thumleft:

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 1k bags from BoA here > I just have a standing order at multiple banks for 1 bag a week. Every once and a while they send boxes but most of the time it is in a sealed canvas bag. From what the original bank I ordered from told me they get the bag cheaper than rolls in the box. I was hesitant at first thinking it had a better chance of being short but in over 30 bags only my last was short by t halves. It did contain 2 cents so it was the right number of coins just not the right denomination.
Several times it comes with other coins inside also, I have found SBA's prez dollars, quarters dimes, nickels and even a cent run over by a train. The only thing I do not like finding is remnants of half rolls. This usually means someones dump, but generally if there are extra coins it contains silver, proofs or at least something interesting.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Bags can be any amount that tellers set the machine to be. The most common setup I've seen is:

$500 quarter, $500 dimes, $1,000 halves, $100 nickles and $50 pennies. But they can be set up differently.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
None of the bags that I get come from machines. They come from unwrapped cwr's that get sent out in $500 and $1,000 bags.

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
:hello2:
Thanks everyone for chiming in, I've learned a lot!

Fistfulladirt, what does cwr stand for?

Again, thanks everyone!
Bart

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11 said:
:hello2:
Thanks everyone for chiming in, I've learned a lot!

Fistfulladirt, what does cwr stand for?

Again, thanks everyone!
Bart

CWR stands for customer wrapped rolls, rolls that customers roll and turn in, in contrast to MWR or machine wrapped rolls like clear-wrapped Brinks or paper wrapped String and Son rolls like you find in boxes.

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
Bags can be any amount that tellers set the machine to be. The most common setup I've seen is:

$500 quarter, $500 dimes, $1,000 halves, $100 nickles and $50 pennies. But they can be set up differently.

So do you guys just go up to the teller and ask if the have any bags of coins? from the free coinstarlike machine they have?

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
beervestor said:
So do you guys just go up to the teller and ask if the have any bags of coins? from the free coinstarlike machine they have?

I'm able to snare an occasional bag, or bags, by calling the Credit Union the day before Brinks roll through. What's available varies each week but there's usually something.

Also found that taking brownies, cookies, or Bacardi rum cake (especially the rum cake) keeps the tellers REAL friendly.

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
MMMMMmmmmm...Bacardi rum cake. Sounds to good to give to the tellers ;D

Fist, usually I'd agree with that one. BUT, in this case "takin' care of the ladies" keeps me supplied in coins not to mention laughing when I pass through the CU again an hour later and see some of the blue hairs draped over the back of their chairs snoring like sailors due to the rum glaze and rum in the cake. (Just kiddin'...but chew on THAT mental image for a bit)

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Fist, I forgot to ask where in Michigan are you? I spent 48 years in Kalamazoo.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 banks that see me bags they are good. I don't think banks get bags back???Why would they??? Any one know???

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCD11 said:
Evening everyone,

Do you know of any armored services, like Brinks, that deliver coins to banks and credit unions in bags instead of boxes? The credit union I get my coins from uses Brinks, which delivers coins in boxes.

Thanks,
Bart

I have been able to get dunbar armored services, they have got me bags but no boxes.
On the boxes I use brinks most of the time, And bags clear and canvas from bank machines. :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

OP
OP
B

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
TimZim said:
I have 2 banks that see me bags they are good. I don't think banks get bags back???Why would they??? Any one know???

EastKyMiner said:
I have been able to get dunbar armored services, they have got me bags but no boxes.
On the boxes I use brinks most of the time, And bags clear and canvas from bank machines. :thumbsup:

GREAT!! :headbang:

Thanks TimZim and Miner. I'm off to a bank this morning that has a coin counter in the lobby and will ask them about buying bags if they have them. Also going to contact Dunbar and see if and where they deliver bags in this area.

Again, thank you for the info. You've given me some ideas to work on.

Bart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread