Mississippi P silver????

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a new one to me. I found a quarter, I would post pics but it looks like every other Miss Quarter with one exception.

It has no copper on the edge at all. When I first saw it I thought Yeah silver proof but the problem is, it is NOT a proof and it is not even minted in San Fran. It has a higher ring than a reg state quarter on the drop test.

I weighed it and compared it to other quarters. The results:

1954 silver = 6.22 - 6.5 grams on my digital scale.

Regular state quarter= 5.67 - 5.7 grams

Weird no Copper Miss= 5.76 - 5.77

It is not close to the real silver but is definitely over the regular state quarter.

Has some one found a worn (circulated) silver proof quarter that they can weigh and give the gram weight to compare it to??

If you need a pic I can take one later but as I said everything looks like a reg state quarter except the solid silver edge?

Is it even possible that a quarter could be minted on a wrong planchet at the WRONG mint????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Thanks!
Mike

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The extra weight can be attributed to the plating. The plating is usually chrome and not silver.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Most likely plated. I have found one state quarter that is plated as well. Mine was D mint. Can't remember which state.... Remember all those sets of state quarters which were gold, silver, platinum plated? That's the probably source.

Still doesn't weigh enough to be struck on wrong (silver) planchet. That would be a find. Worth tons of money...

HH

OP
OP
G

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
The extra weight can be attributed to the plating. The plating is usually chrome and not silver.

This was my first thought also. I have found numerous gold plated halves and the gold plating is so thin you can literally wash it off with a scrubbing pad. This one got my interest up so I actually tested it using a stone and acid. Where I rubbed the edge enough to remove a small portion of the reeds, there is still no copper visible. Also this is a circulated 2002 quarter so it has nicks and dings in it, even through these you can see no change to color. With the actual acid test, on the rub, the color did not change to blood red as it does for sterling, it did change to a brown/ reddish color. There is also no loss of detail on either surface as I would expect with a plating either.

I am not saying this is an error. I just don't know exactly what it is, and wanted second opinions.
Thanks for all the input.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Gareb said:
sagittarius98 said:

This was my first thought also. I have found numerous gold plated halves and the gold plating is so thin you can literally wash it off with a scrubbing pad. This one got my interest up so I actually tested it using a stone and acid. Where I rubbed the edge enough to remove a small portion of the reeds, there is still no copper visible. Also this is a circulated 2002 quarter so it has nicks and dings in it, even through these you can see no change to color. With the actual acid test, on the rub, the color did not change to blood red as it does for sterling, it did change to a brown/ reddish color. There is also no loss of detail on either surface as I would expect with a plating either.

I am not saying this is an error. I just don't know exactly what it is, and wanted second opinions.
Thanks for all the input.

Interesting! How thick is the coin?

DrKen

Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I just found a Mississippi 2002-p silver quarter. I thought a proof but not shinny enough but def. identical to the other silver quarters I have...please let me know what you have found out about this....thanks! Ken

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I just found a Mississippi 2002-p silver quarter. I thought a proof but not shinny enough but def. identical to the other silver quarters I have...please let me know what you have found out about this....thanks! Ken

Very unlikely. I can say with 99.999% certainty that you have a plated quarter. It could be chrome, silver, or even platinum plated, but its plated.

Many were made and sold via infomercial, home shopping, etc. Its basically just a "gimmick" coin to separate would-be collectors or little old ladies buying for their grandchildren from their cash.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few of these. They are definitely plated and not silver. I hate to burst your bubble, but they are not silver.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one in a teller tray about a month back. Looking at tray I was excited to see the bright rim but quickly could tell it was plated and not AG. Still cool find just another coin to add to my random finds collection.

HH

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
the gold plating is so thin because gold is expensive and the people selling gold plated coins are trying to make an easy buck. For the chrome ones, the process is a little different and doesn't cost much. I'd expect the plating to be much thicker (plus chrome is really hard making it difficult to scratch off). I'd also expect the plating to reduce the strike quality by infilling some of the finer details. Is that the case?

DrKen

Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply...
I am certainly no expert but have been collecting "novice style" I guess, most of my life and have a lot of silver coins. I put this one next to some and, of course, not a proof. Looking at it magnified and next to another silver coin I could not find variations to indicate plating and looks almost identical to a silver coin. I guess someone did a very good job if plated and wonder why they would go to this extreme to make such an identical fake Quarter? I do realize there were no silver 2002-P quarters when I researched them and it fooled me but does this happen frequently? I have never come across a fake and literally go through several batches of $100 or bank boxes of rolled quarters (in search of silvers) weekly. BTW: is this the best way to search for silver quarters? I do the same with dimes and usually find about 1 or so per day but rarely find too many silver quarters...do they pull them at the location where they roll them? Just looking for a way to "pad" my silver collection...thanks for any and all help !!! Ken

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really a fake quarter. Just look on hsn and you will see these for sale, quite often at insane prices.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply...
I am certainly no expert but have been collecting "novice style" I guess, most of my life and have a lot of silver coins. I put this one next to some and, of course, not a proof. Looking at it magnified and next to another silver coin I could not find variations to indicate plating and looks almost identical to a silver coin. I guess someone did a very good job if plated and wonder why they would go to this extreme to make such an identical fake Quarter? I do realize there were no silver 2002-P quarters when I researched them and it fooled me but does this happen frequently? I have never come across a fake and literally go through several batches of $100 or bank boxes of rolled quarters (in search of silvers) weekly. BTW: is this the best way to search for silver quarters? I do the same with dimes and usually find about 1 or so per day but rarely find too many silver quarters...do they pull them at the location where they roll them? Just looking for a way to "pad" my silver collection...thanks for any and all help !!! Ken

They really aren't that rare. I've found quite a few of them. They are plated and sold as a "collectible". As for silver quarters, they are generally harder to find than silver dimes. Most people here say they are next to impossible to find, but that has not been my experience with them. If I get four boxes of quarters to search in a weekend I will usually find one or two silvers. Whereas with dimes if I get fours boxes I will usually find 3-8 silvers. The best way to increase your silver stack is by upping your volume searched. I haven't found any other way to increase my finds. Good luck with the hunt and don't waste too much time on that plated quarter. As much as you want it to be silver, it simply isn't. It's not really possible that the wrong planchet was used in the minting process since no silver coins at all are minted in the Philadelphia mint anymore.

GMONEY$

Jul 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I came across this post and understand its years old. My wife found a 2002 P Silver Mississippi quarter ( see pic's). Upon inspection it appears there is a mint strike problem as the raised lettering is flat and there are pits in the metal. Now, I know absolutely nothing about coins accept all of mine end up in a new shoe fund my wife created :0) Any help is greatly appreciated.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
It is most likely nickel plated, not worth putting chrome over the nickel. And if it was silver or gold plated, they put a heavy nickel underneath. 30+ years of plating, and still doing it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I came across this post and understand its years old. My wife found a 2002 P Silver Mississippi quarter ( see pic's). Upon inspection it appears there is a mint strike problem as the raised lettering is flat and there are pits in the metal. Now, I know absolutely nothing about coins accept all of mine end up in a new shoe fund my wife created :0) Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are no P mint marked silver quarters. You have a quarter that has been plated. See above posts.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pile of quarters plated in gold why someone would do that must have been bored. Good eye though ya never know what you will find error wise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread