Upvote 0

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I write it down a single subject notepad. There really isn't a pattern here that I have noticed. I just know boxes with the code "4518" suck. Bad.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I just started tracking my finds in 2012. I have a notebook, and I'm writing down all my finds on a page per month. I've been CRHing since about 2001, and never really tracked my finds other than counting the pile occasionally until now, but I've decided I might as well track it for fun.

I don't really keep track of how much I search, just the finds...

HH

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Tnet to track my individual weekly progress numanistically and in a creative manner. For family finances I use Quicken, where I’ve setup an account for my vault that holds all the silver. When I CRH I “Buy” the investment of “Silver Dime” or “Silver Half (40%)” for .10 or .50…then set the value of a silver dime based on that day’s silver price thanks to an app on my Android Phone. With that I track my “profits” in fiat currency, but more importantly have a record of each type of bullion coin I have so I can quickly calculate the more important figure, how many ozt I have.

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a single wire bound notebook. Just simple notes, dollar amounts searched, date searched, number of keepers, and bank branch. Will add any significant finds with more details. This is my first book. After seeing everyones YTD totals. I decided to keep track of my stats.
I do the same with dirt fishing finds. HH Doug

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
My tracking is pretty significant, some would say it borders on OCD :D

First off, I track my collections value on a daily basis with the 4:30pm close of the market, like this.

Numbers are flubbed but show an accurate result.

2-1-12
--------
2 - Roosevelt Dime
----------------------
Price Paid/Total spent : Oz that day/Total oz : total price (+$profit/% of + or - ) @ Spot Price
$0.20/$1025.35 : 0.1446/57.2224 : $1928.97 (+$903.62/+88.13%) @ $33.71

Than I log each find in its seperate catagory for the month

2-1-12 ( Date )
----------
1 - s - 0 ( 1 rolls of String dimes, nothing found )
182 - CW - 2/R ( 182 rolls of Customer Wrapped dimes, 2 Rosies )
T-$915 ( total searched in dimes that day )

I keep track of Monthly totals search and add that to the yearly total at the top which gets logged at the end of each month.

I also keep track of all finds from each denomination and style of coin. I even log all the Canadian coins I get as well. I figure, if I am going to pay $25 cents for a Canadian quarter, I might as well collect it than see the bank toss it.

Same goes with everything else including tokens.

Barbados
------------
1987 Ten Cents

Britain
------------
1971 Penny
1975 Penny
1976 Penny
1977 x2
1980 Penny
1981 Penny
1983 Penny
1987 Penny
1989 Penny
1990 Penny
1994 x2
1999 x2
2000 Penny

1971 5 Pence
1991 5 Pence
1999 5 Pence
1940 Penny
2005 Twenty Pence

Ecuador
------------
2000 50 Centavos

Taiwan
-------------
5 Yuan

TOKENS
-------------
1950 Handy McToken from Topeka Kansas (200,000 minted)
Baseball Token
Namco Token
2003 C-Cheese

It takes a little time each day to do all this but it pays off in the end.

I also track each bank on Google maps and log all the finds to get an idea on the better areas over time.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I track mine in multiple different excel spreadsheets.

1) Trip Report
* Tracks what banks I visited
* Tracks what I picked up or cashed in while there
* Tracks what I found in what was picked up by denomination
* I use this spreadsheet to copy and paste what I find into my posts
* Calculates find percentages of various things like wheat pennies, silver dimes, etc.
* Keeps track of my total finds for the year (I start a new spreadsheet every year).

2) Total found - year
* This spreadsheet has pages that help me track how many of each denomination/date/mintmark/variety I found
* I create a new one every year

3) Tracking list - year
* Similar to the Total found except that I only enter 1 if found and 0 if not.
* I use it to track what percentage of a complete set of any particular variety I found in a year.
* Technically, this spreadsheet is somewhat redundant with #2 and I should probably combine the two...just haven't done so
* I also list non-canadian foreign coins found including listing the number of any particular date if multiples are found

4) Tracking list - lifetime
* The same as #3, except it tracks my finds over my entire lifetime.
* I also list each unique non-canadian foreign coin found, but limit the list to not include multiples.

5) Overall collection
* I use this to track how many of any particular coin I have in my collection.
* It includes pages for all the different US coin denominations and includes all mintmarks and intentional varieties as well as some of the errors.
* It also includes a place to enter how many slots in books that I want to fill.
* It does a bunch of calculations showing me how many of each coin I still need to complete my desired collection goals
* This combines any coin purchased with all my finds.
* It also includes pages for each denomination of US currency, it lists which federal reserve branches had star notes in each series.

Prior to 2012, #2 through #5 were primarily US coins with only a stub for Canadian coins. For Christmas this past year, I got a copy of the Charlton Standard Catalogue for Canadian Coins 2012 and created spreadsheets #2 through #5 for Canadian coins as well.

I keep meaning to write a database application that allows me to essentially combine all my spreadsheets into one, simplify the UI, and spit out reports that I can post directly, but... I just haven't taken the time to start yet.

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think most of us track our finds in one way or another. I use the notepad feature in my iphone as I go. Then, like a lot of people I have made a spreadsheet in excel that I use to keep totals (90's, 40's, types, oz.'s of silver, etc...). There's a thread on the boards titled "Excel Help" I think. It has a screen shot of someones spreadsheet that is a great example of what you can do.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For now I use Excel for all the banks I order from (Bank, Contact Name, phone #. order placed, last pick up date. etc.). My son writes down what he gets from each box from what bank 90% walking liberty, ben, how many 40% etc. Then total for the week and grand total to date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread