edge check vs date check

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this post is to see how you people check your coins. Do you edge check your coins or you date check them ??? ? I do not look for coin errors, just silver but I have found several coins that if I had done edge check only I would have miss them because they look like clad. I only do half dollars. Is there any way to sort the coins faster?.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I date check because I look for errors, proofs, commemoratives, etc. I believe you can make machines to separate silver from non.

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the type of volume I now do, I only have time to edge check my dimes and halves. I'd say I have a very keen/trained eye. Either way, when I drop them in my coinlok bags, I always sounds check them as well.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
CubanHunter said:
Well this post is to see how you people check your coins. Do you edge check your coins or you date check them ??? ? I do not look for coin errors, just silver but I have found several coins that if I had done edge check only I would have miss them because they look like clad. I only do half dollars. Is there any way to sort the coins faster?.

I edge check and date check my Halves.

I edge check and then date check any dirty dimes.

I date check all nickels

I only edge check quarters.

What you can do to make it faster than date check is edge check and then drop one at a time into your other hand letting them clank against each other. I did that yesterday when I was in a hurry checking some halves because I was hungry. Netted me 1 40% I didnt see from the edge because of the low light cloudy day.

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mostly edge check, but i have found the lighting to be a huge factor. If the light is flat or bad I double check anything that doesn't have a definite copper stripe of clad.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edge check then sound check into my other hand. Then and only then do the halves go into the dump bag.

OP
OP
CubanHunter

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me also that light is a very big factor. I am planing to buy a coin magnifying lamp. About the sound check I don't know why I am not able to differentiate the sound between a clad coin and a silver coin :dontknow: . It seems that all these years working on the airport has took a toll on my ears :BangHead: .

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnet check.

When I search for silver I can use a magnet to weed out the silver but when I search cents and nickels I of course date search.

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
I date check because I look for errors, proofs, commemoratives, etc. I believe you can make machines to separate silver from non.

if theres machines that sort silver from non how come brinks and all the other delivery companies or the mint or whatever do it?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beervestor said:
sagittarius98 said:

if theres machines that sort silver from non how come brinks and all the other delivery companies or the mint or whatever do it?

I was wondering that one myself. Hope someone here knows the answer.

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agme said:
beervestor said:
sagittarius98 said:

They don't/can't because it's not their money. They just sort and process it for their banks.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GimmeSomeSilver said:
agme said:
beervestor said:
sagittarius98 said:

They don't/can't because it's not their money. They just sort and process it for their banks.

Ok GimmeSomeSilver, I got it, BUT do they cull any bent, damaged, or otherwise defaced coins?

Oh and like penman77 I edge check and then date check anything that "sticks out" i.e. looks unusual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread