What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some "silver sniper" tellers think the silver stopped in 1964 -- we know about the 65 to 70 - 40%ers they don't --and I do not wise them up either. --when folks that compete against you are dumb to your advantage tis folly to educate them.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Haha, here're a few.

- Teller " are you looking for the Big or Small half dollars?"

- Teller " if you are looking for Solid Silver, don't waste your time, you won't find them in these roll. Me " I'll take them all " . Result, 4 solid 40% roll. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

- Teller " I got no halves, no $2 bills, no silver , nor gold coins, but I do have this roll of Foreign dime size coins, are you interest? " Me " sure I'll take them , how much?"
Teller " $5 " . Result, 1 solid roll of Mercs :headbang: :headbang:.

- Teller " Sorry we can't order halves because Brinks doesn't stock halves , only the FED does " . Me " :tard: ::) :tard: ::)"

- Teller " What are you doing with all these halves? " Me " we use it for poker " Teller " Oh, do you know there are silver in some of them ? " Me " oh , which one is silver? " Teller " anything that's made before 1964, and some of the 64' are Half and Half. " Me thinking " What the f is Half and Half?...." :laughing9:

Last edited:

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
Funniest coin related moment when I was spending a gold dollar at a gas station...and some white man who clearly grew up thinking he was a thug was like "oh :nono: " as I paid...then rushed to buy them. Well...only has a spare dollar. Ha.
I would have loved to see him try to sell it to a pawn shop or some thing

I just laughed out loud when I noticed that.. hahahaha!
Sorry for the foul language, I'll try to watch it...but that was the funniest way to censor it possible! lol

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week they showed me a old silver doller and told me it was a nickel.Dumb and lazy unreal they need :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
conleytheking said:
Funniest coin related moment when I was spending a gold dollar at a gas station...and some white man who clearly grew up thinking he was a thug was like "oh :nono: " as I paid...then rushed to buy them. Well...only has a spare dollar. Ha.
I would have loved to see him try to sell it to a pawn shop or some thing

I just laughed out loud when I noticed that.. hahahaha!
Sorry for the foul language, I'll try to watch it...but that was the funniest way to censor it possible! lol

I thought he was saying no to paying with them.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Today, I walked into a bank to buy halves and dimes.
Teller: I have three dollars worth, but you don't want this one it is very dirty.
Me: That is okay I will take them all
Teller: Okay, here you go

The dirty one: 1969D
The other five: 1966, 1969D

Silver isn't hard to clean

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
My favorite running gag with tellers is when I'm dumping they ask me if I want Large bills... I just smile and reply that "I'll take the regular sized hundreds".

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Me: Do you have any "Ike" dollars I could buy? (Niavety at its best as I concentrate on copper)
Teller: YES I DO, WOULD YOU LIKE ALL 83?!?!? (Picture sweet little blue hair with eyes bulging as she flies off her perch, heading for her small plastic Ziplock food container kept at the side of he teller area since the beginning of time and me standing there completely bewildered, wondering what I've gotten myself into)
She gladly empties the container, carefully counts the 83 coins, and thankfully sells them to me on the condition I won't bring them back as she has had to keep them forever due to the minimum Brinks will take.

I walk into the CU for my weekly penny fix. Newer teller who is about 3' tall, 74# dripping wet, and a real hoot, says with sad eyes she's bummed.
Me: What happened?
Teller: They didn't save me any of the rum cake you brought in last week AND they said it was good.
Me: I'll make sure you get the next treat delivery.
Teller: Good, and I'll let them watch while I eat it all!

Moral of the story; Don't cross the rough crowd at the CU!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11 said:
I walk into the CU for my weekly penny fix. Newer teller who is about 3' tall, 74# dripping wet, and a real hoot, says with sad eyes she's bummed.
Me: What happened?
Teller: They didn't save me any of the rum cake you brought in last week AND they said it was good.
Me: I'll make sure you get the next treat delivery.
Teller: Good, and I'll let them watch while I eat it all!

Moral of the story; Don't cross the rough crowd at the CU!

And should have added...Don't get in the way of a blue hair with bulging eyes!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at a bank today and asked if I could order halves. Sure, no problem....they're $1000 a box. :o They use a different supplier, and I'm wondering if in fact they get $1000 boxes instead of $500. No, she was just......um, wrong. :laughing9:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my wife and I took our young son to the snow, about an hour drive, so I brought 2K in halves to dump in one of the small towns on the way. I get to my dump bank and lug them to the counter. No problem dumping as always. The lady customer at the window next to me looks at the bags and asks, "are those silver dollars?" Before I could answer her teller exclaims, "sure are!" "Wow, can I buy a bunch of them?" Finally, I was able to get a word in edge wise, "These are half dollars, not silver dollars." She responds instantly, "Oh, silver half dollars. Ill buy one of those bags." So I just shut up after that. The funny thing is I am sure the tellers thought they are silver as well.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- "You want the big half dollars or the small half dollars?"

- "I have 2 rolls of halves in the vault, and a 3rd roll that is mostly silver. Do you want the roll with the silver as well?"

- "You will not find any silver in any of those rolls."

- "You want to buy all the halves I have? Are you sure? I have a lot of them...$27.50 worth!"

And my favorite: I was on a road trip when a cocky young male teller asked me how many halves I would like to buy. Of course my answer was, "All of them." He smirks and says, "Well, I have $2000 worth in the vault so that'll be $2000 please." As it turned out, I had EXACTLY 20 $100 bills folded/banded in my pocket. I casually flipped them on the counter and said, "I'll take 'em." He could only stammer, "but...I only have $30 worth."

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was dropping of some halves at a bank, when the teller asked where I got them from. I explained Im a coin collector and I look for old and odd looking coins.

She replied thats cool, then went as far as asking the other tellers if they had anything. One girl next to her said she had a funny half dollar. She showed it to me and I pretended not to be to impressed but said I would buy it from her. Turns out it was a Franklin.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I heard this one just this past week:

My pick up bank is entirely filled with silver seekers. One of them has even shown me silver she has bought from customers.

So, I went in to pick up 2 of my 4 halves boxes, and I hear the greatest silver seeking teller say "I don't know why you spend your time doing that."

I politely asked "Doing what?"

She quickly said, "Looking through all those half dollars every week. You see all those with marks on them, where peoples done and took a marker to them, and scribbled them up so bad...that means that everyone of them half dollars has been looked through for silver. That is why you ain't never gonna find a one of them."

"Yeah, you are prolly right" I said with a smile, "but I've got nothing else to do with my time."

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:

My pick up bank is entirely filled with silver seekers. One of them has even shown me silver she has bought from customers.

So, I went in to pick up 2 of my 4 halves boxes, and I hear the greatest silver seeking teller say "I don't know why you spend your time doing that."

She quickly said, "Looking through all those half dollars every week. You see all those with marks on them, where peoples done and took a marker to them, and scribbled them up so bad...that means that everyone of them half dollars has been looked through for silver. That is why you ain't never gonna find a one of them."

"Yeah, you are prolly right" I said with a smile, "but I've got nothing else to do with my time."

Perfect response. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:

Did you find anything in the box?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
sagittarius98 said:
clovis97 said:

Did you find anything in the box?

Yes, I actually did find silver in this box. It has been one of the best boxes I've had in a long time:

1 - 1964
6 - 40%

The other 3 boxes were skunks, so I reckon that the teller was right. ;D

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"That one's silver," she says, pointing to one as she counts out a few loose halves and sells them to me at face value.

That was this morning. I didn't make any comment on that, of course. :laughing9:

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was particularly pleased when I found a Seated Liberty Dolllar in a dime roll. :laughing7:

Attachments

• dime seated watch.jpg
    dime seated watch.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,823
  • dime seated watch.jpg
    dime seated watch.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • dime seated watch.jpg
    dime seated watch.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,839

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread