What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into a bank that I'm not a member at today and asked the teller if they had any half dollars. She said no. I asked if she could ask the other tellers for me and she said sure. About 5 seconds later, the manager comes running out of the back up to me and says "YES WE HAVE HALF DOLLARS HOW MANY DO YOU WANT!!" I said I would like them all. She said they had well over 500, and my eyes lit up. So She counted them out and there was 640 worth. I bought them all. The teller then told me "Some of these are pretty old, so if they aren't up to your standards feel free to bring them back, I don't want you to get disappointing". Thinking I may have just hit a jack pot I left my name and number and asked them to call me if any more halfs came in, then I ran to my car and started searching. I good mix of '65-'04s. Ended up getting 11 silver. It was just funny how the manager and the teller reacted and responded to me buying halfs.

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asking for my regular coins, I was asked do you collect silver pennies?! lol too funny they thought it was made out of real silver! haha

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was great. I went to 2 banks, neither of which would order for me. This is what they said:

Bank 1: we don't get our coins from the fed any more, they ran out, so you won't me finding any silver.
Me: that's fine I don't look for silver, can you still order for me
Bank 1: sure well place the order
Me: awesome how many boxes can I get and when can I get them
Bank 1: I don't know
Me: whaaaa???
Bank 1: I have to see how my order looks next week. I can only order 10 boxes, and the merchants get first dibs. Then I can fulfil your halfs order. If there's no space, you don't get any.
Me: whatever what day should I come back to check?
Bank 1: come back Saturday of next week and they should be here, we get deliveries mid week
Me: can you tell me what day? I would like to get them asap
Bank 1: I cannot disclose any information, it would be a high risk to national security
Me: ummmm other banks tell me exactly when their order comes in, so I can pick my stuff up the same day
Bank 1: they're breaking the law and should be arrested
Me: lol goodluck- and walked out

National security? Wtf? Haha

Me: hello can you oder me some halfs?
Bank 2: let me ask my manager
*leaves for 5 minues*
Bank 2: sure, but you have to get 500 dollars worth so you won't want them
Me: I know, I'm actually looking to get a few grand worth if possible, if not ill take the 500
Bank 2: let me check with my manager
*leaves for 5 more minutes*
Bank 2: she said that she called the brinks, and that half dollars were discontinued 5 years ago. There for they are out of circulation and we can't order them any more
Me: lol I have some 2012 half dollars at my house, want me to bring them in?
Bank 2: the manager will be off break in an hour if you want to come back and talk to her then
Me- *chuckles and walks out*

Discontinued in 2008? Hahaha that's my favorite yet

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm heres a good one, first off let me set some back story.

This just happened weds, I had 6 boxes ordered. Went to get my first 4, and "she couldnt fit them into the budget this week", So I leave, unhappy but whatever I still got 2 more to do... Well I get to this bank(which I normally pickup on tuesdays), and they tell me they arent allowed to order anymore(I have been ordering for months at this branch)... So great no boxes!!

I go to a bank which I have gone to twice in the past, and both times they had a box of halves(which no other bank has ever had a box just sitting). So I go and ask this foreign lady if she had any halves, said no. I ask if they have any rolls or boxes, and she says they NEVER get them in. I explain I had picked up 2 boxes in the past 6 weeks from there. And she still says they NEVER have ordered them... I roll my eyes and just walk away...

What a crappy day! lol... Atleast I killed it in silver for the week.

HH

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I brought a silver quarter today to school to show a beginner collector, and it immediately brought interest. Someone asked me if I knew the values of various quarters, and I said yes. She also said "I will bring in a half dollar quarter for you to appraise."

I don't have my hopes up, but I hope for her it's this:happysmiley::
lf

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Fridays ago, well, the bank didn't have any halves. The young man went in the back and said he had about a dozen of the "big" dollars. I thought, ugh, Ikes. I bought hem and noted upon leaving they were pretty dirty. Six Ikes, five peace dollars, including the two key dates, and 5 Morgans. All at least EF.

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After about my 25th weekly stop at a certain bank branch to get whatever half dollars they had---
Teller: So what do you do with these?
Me: Well I'm hoping to fill this cool collection book I got.
Teller: Oooooooo! Okay!

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get this a lot, after asking for 50-cent-half-dollar coins [I like to be redundant so they don't get confused] and gigantic dollar coins:

"We only have these half dollars, not the big half dollars!"

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get this a lot, after asking for 50-cent-half-dollar coins and gigantic dollar coins:

"We only have these half dollars, not the big half dollars!"

Hahaha thats funny

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this earlier but a teller, over the phone, askes if I was talking about the half dollars with Clinton on them. I couldn't make it up.

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the other day I had a male teller tell me that he would never have a silver coin on his tray because he snipes all of it ! this guy was just being a complete conceded jerk to me obviously he's smarter than me , that's why he gave me two 40 % that he had on his tray !!!

Then a while back I had another male teller have two walkers on his tray and tell me why would I want dirty old coins ? after he handed them to me with disgust in his face and a squirt of purell in his hands he gave the " what a loser look" to another teller LOL !

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend showed me an Oregon statehood quarter, and I looked at the obverse and saw the "D" that signifies the mintmark. I told her that it was made in Denver, Colorado, but she denied that and said it was made in Oregon. I then tried to explain how the quarter could not have been made in Oregon, but she insisted that it was, so I gave up. Oh, well.

This story I heard from someone at my local coin club. His name is Norm (Norman). It is a story about being at the right place at the right time. Here goes:

Norm was doing some errands at a grocery store, and as he gets into the check-out line, he hears a commotion at the front of the line. He hears the cashier saying to the woman checking out, "We don't accept foreign money." Being the professional numismatist (coin collector) he was, he was immediately intrigued and went to the front of the line to see what the problem was. It turns out that the woman was using old US silver coins in order to pay for her groceries. Immediately recognizing what they were, he offered cash for the face value of the coins, and she accepted. During their transaction, the woman states that she was spending her husband's coin collection because he had angered her. In addition to trying to spend them at the store, she used about $10 in quarters at a laundromat the previous night. I don't know what amount of coins were involved, but I'm sure it was a lot.

A similar story was told to me by Chip, another coin club friend.

Chip walked into a bank and there was a large dispute between tellers, a customer, and two cops. He investigates and finds out that the customer had tried to deposit three $1000 bills in EF condition. Chip examines the bills and decides to end the dispute by offering the customer face value for all the bills. Everyone ended up happy.

Lastly, a fellow collector of mine, also a coin club member, told me a story of his childhood.

He was buying lunch and one of the cashiers, who saved unusual coins for him, had an EF 1910 S Lincoln cent. He tried to buy it with his milk money, but his teacher would not let him. He told her that it was worth $1 (showing the antiquity of this story) and that it would go into his collection. The teacher refused to let him buy it and then bought it for herself.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
c
My friend showed me an Oregon statehood quarter, and I looked at the obverse and saw the "D" that signifies the mintmark. I told her that it was made in Denver, Colorado, but she denied that and said it was made in Oregon. I then tried to explain how the quarter could not have been made in Oregon, but she insisted that it was, so I gave up. Oh, well.

This story I heard from someone at my local coin club. His name is Norm (Norman). It is a story about being at the right place at the right time. Here goes:

Norm was doing some errands at a grocery store, and as he gets into the check-out line, he hears a commotion at the front of the line. He hears the cashier saying to the woman checking out, "We don't accept foreign money." Being the professional numismatist (coin collector) he was, he was immediately intrigued and went to the front of the line to see what the problem was. It turns out that the woman was using old US silver coins in order to pay for her groceries. Immediately recognizing what they were, he offered cash for the face value of the coins, and she accepted. During their transaction, the woman states that she was spending her husband's coin collection because he had angered her. In addition to trying to spend them at the store, she used about $10 in quarters at a laundromat the previous night. I don't know what amount of coins were involved, but I'm sure it was a lot.

A similar story was told to me by Chip, another coin club friend.

Chip walked into a bank and there was a large dispute between tellers, a customer, and two cops. He investigates and finds out that the customer had tried to deposit three $1000 bills in EF condition. Chip examines the bills and decides to end the dispute by offering the customer face value for all the bills. Everyone ended up happy.

Lastly, a fellow collector of mine, also a coin club member, told me a story of his childhood.

He was buying lunch and one of the cashiers, who saved unusual coins for him, had an EF 1910 S Lincoln cent. He tried to buy it with his milk money, but his teacher would not let him. He told her that it was worth $1 (showing the antiquity of this story) and that it would go into his collection. The teacher refused to let him buy it and then bought it for herself.

whoa whoa whoa, whoa. I, 50 cent, want to personally thank you for makin such a detailed post, most people with only 3 posts dont put extra effort in but you put an extra mile in there dawg, nice work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread