Got another CRHers dump box of cents. Still plenty of copper. ??? All 1982s.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got another CRH'ers dump box of cents. Still plenty of copper. ??? All 1982's.

So this box was from the same bank/day where I got the 10 full rolls of bicentennial halves.

This box of cents was clearly a dump from another CRH'er. Roll after roll of zinc cents. But then.... roll after roll of 1982's. Most of which were copper. No other coppers in the box. So in the end I still got 23% copper because this guy must have liquidated a large stash of 1982 cents that he never went through. He must have been storing them up to go through later and finally decided to just dump them all. Much like the bicentennial halves.

No wheats at all but at least I pulled close to my standard copper rate. I guess this guy is liquidating stuff that he doesn't think he needs. He spent all that time digging out all of the other coppers cents. But then dumped almost $6 worth of copper 1982's. ???

When I first started opening full zinc rolls I contemplated just taking the whole box and dumping it. But when I got my first solid roll of 1982's I changed my mind. I'm glad I stuck with it. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Got another CRH'ers dump box of cents. Still plenty of copper. ??? All 1982's.

Turned out ok in the end. I just ping an 82 cent when i find them, there is a distinct difference in sounds between the ping of copper and the clunk sound of zinc.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Re: Got another CRH'ers dump box of cents. Still plenty of copper. ??? All 1982's.

I've got probably 15 rolls of 82's that I saved before I figured out how to easily tell copper from zinc. While I may well keep them, I'll probably also release them into the wild, rather than test each and every one. Probably the same rationale that got you the 82's.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Historyhound said:
Here's another oppourtunity to cas in on those 82's. This is the small date zinc variety. The possible payoff is worth the search.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1982&die_mint=p&die_type=dr&page=0

Interresting. It always amazes me that people are willing to pay so much money for errors. It's one of the few times in life where you can make a mistake and people want to pay dearly for your incompetence.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FormerTeller said:
I've got probably 15 rolls of 82's that I saved before I figured out how to easily tell copper from zinc. While I may well keep them, I'll probably also release them into the wild, rather than test each and every one. Probably the same rationale that got you the 82's.

I'm sure you are right. But since I use a metal detector to sort cents, for me there literally is no difference between testing an '82 and testing any other coin. That's why it amazes me that people who spend all the time it takes to go through a whole box of coins by date checking would throw away so many copper cents at once.

It would be like a gold prospector spending hundreds of hours panning for gold and then turning around and throwing out a jar of concentrates just because he didn't want to spend the additional time to go through them. I realize that it may not seem "cost effective" to sort through the 82's. But searching for copper cents by date is hardly "cost effective" in the first place. :P So why not spend the extra little bit of time it takes to know that you aren't throwing away copper?

There isn't a gold prospector alive who would knowingly throw out such a large amount of gold just because they didn't feel like doing the extra work. It's engrained in their psyche.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

mts said:
Historyhound said:
Here's another oppourtunity to cas in on those 82's. This is the small date zinc variety. The possible payoff is worth the search.

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1982&die_mint=p&die_type=dr&page=0

Interresting. It always amazes me that people are willing to pay so much money for errors. It's one of the few times in life where you can make a mistake and people want to pay dearly for your incompetence.
Thats sort of like what a friend of mine said. His words were "Coin collectors are the only people who I know that are happy when someone screws up." For many it is true but I have never been a real big fan of errors because the error is either too small to notice or it is too expensive.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

mts said:
FormerTeller said:

I'm sure you are right. But since I use a metal detector to sort cents, for me there literally is no difference between testing an '82 and testing any other coin. That's why it amazes me that people who spend all the time it takes to go through a whole box of coins by date checking would throw away so many copper cents at once.

It would be like a gold prospector spending hundreds of hours panning for gold and then turning around and throwing out a jar of concentrates just because he didn't want to spend the additional time to go through them. I realize that it may not seem "cost effective" to sort through the 82's. But searching for copper cents by date is hardly "cost effective" in the first place. :P So why not spend the extra little bit of time it takes to know that you aren't throwing away copper?

Because in the time it would take me to search through 15 rolls of 82's I could search through 15 rolls of unsearched cents, with the possibility of finding wheats, indians, etc. The probability of finding any of those in the 82's is exactly 0%. You have to bear in mind that for a lot of us, the copper is just a bonus, not the main goal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread