Keep Your Coin Roll Hunting

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
NewsMan said:
So... I don't coin roll hunt, but was in the credit union the other day and just mentioned Kennedy halves. They tell me they have some that some guy ordered.. so I said, 'I'll buy 'em". $250 in half dollars later and not a damn one under 1971. You can keep it!

Well, not every box can be a winner. When you pull a box that nets you $400 in silver for $30 face value, you will change your mind. My first 10 rolls I ever did gave up 16/40% halves. That is $8 face for $79.39 in silver. Thats fine though, you dont want to do it, dont. I wont try to convince you further, that just means more for me.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't have asked for "Kennedy" halves since most of those are clad. You should have asked for "Franklin" halves instead. :tongue3:

But I don't blame you. Here in the midwest the silver is pretty dry. I'm better off buying my silver than going through box after box hoping to find one measly 40%'er. But that's just me.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Your are correct, there is no silver to be found. Don't waste your time and gas.

The 2 oz of silver I harvested this week is bullshit that I made up to make my posts look good.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
You didn't ask right.

You should have asked for silver and gold coins. Especially gold dollar coins.

CRH'ing is only for crazy people anyway.

That's why I

Keep on Rollin' !

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piledriver said:
You should have asked for silver and gold coins. Especially gold dollar coins.
Do that and you'll be sorting through tons of presidential dollars!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since you "sniped" the other guys special 'ordered in" $ 250 worth -- bad karma got you :'( :whip2:--its not nice to swipe another persons special "ordered in" halves :angry5:-- nothing worse than coming in to pick up yer coins and finding out you got "sniped" :BangHead:-- one always wonders if they got what was supposed to be your "big hit". :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
ivan salis said:
since you "sniped" the other guys special 'ordered in" $ 250 worth -- bad karma got you :'( :whip2:--its not nice to swipe another persons special "ordered in" halves :angry5:-- nothing worse than coming in to pick up yer coins and finding out you got "sniped" :BangHead:-- one always wonders if they got what was supposed to be your "big hit". :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

Well... he didn't come the day he was supposed to and they were sitting on them. They offered! :blob7:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
NewsMan said:
. . . . $250 in half dollars later and not a damn one under 1971. You can keep it!

That's kinda like saying: "I bought a metal detector, put batteries in it in the store, detected all the way from the store to my car and didn't find anything worth keeping - it's obviously a worthless hobby."

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
NewsMan said:
. . . . $250 in half dollars later and not a damn one under 1971. You can keep it!

That's kinda like saying: "I bought a metal detector, put batteries in it in the store, detected all the way from the store to my car and didn't find anything worth keeping - it's obviously a worthless hobby."

+1

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one try does not a hobby make ... no one said it was easy I hope not at least. ....heck i had a $2000 dry spell going before a recent single 40% half (1966) broke it .

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
madwest said:
NewsMan said:

That's kinda like saying: ...."it's obviously a worthless hobby."

That's not what I said... I said you all can keep it!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Hey Newsman - you are quite right. Don't bother - you are a couple years too late to get into this hobby/addiction. If silver hadn't spiked it would hardly be worth the gas. But what the heck some of us can't help ourselves. :BangHead:

Maine_Jim

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
maine_Jim said:
Hey Newsman - you are quite right. Don't bother - you are a couple years too late to get into this hobby/addiction. If silver hadn't spiked it would hardly be worth the gas. But what the heck some of us can't help ourselves. :BangHead:

Maine_Jim

After I consider the time, stress (of picking up boxes and then dumping), plus the gas, I could buy my silver cheaper than roll hunting.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
NewsMan said:
madwest said:
NewsMan said:

That's kinda like saying: ...."it's obviously a worthless hobby."

That's not what I said... I said you all can keep it!

Understood. I wrongly put words in your mouth. I apologize. I suppose I misunderstood what "you can keep it" means. You'll notice that a lot of us are passionate about the hobby and thus defend it with vigor.

Everybody has different perspectives on hobbies. It does take time to fall into the groove of CRH'ing. It just so happens that a lot of hobby'ers get some beginners luck and are hooked early on. That makes it easier to find the groove than if the first try is an outright skunk.

HH

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I get so tired looking through box................ after box...................after box............. of clad.

It makes no sense at all. Tellers cheat me at the coin machine; gas prices are eating me up.
Some people don't even hold the door open for me when I have bags in both hands !

I WISH I COULD STOP !! Somebody help me please. I feed so obsessed and compulsive......

I....can....hardly....Keep on Rollin' !

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...YOR 100% CORRECT.....OBSESSED IS THE WORD THAT DESCRIBES MOST IN THIS HOBBY ! ! ! ! TAKE OFFENCE IF YOU WANT......IT 'S ALWAYS " THE NEXT ROLL...THE NEXT BANK " ! ! MY FIRST ROLL EVER...ALL 1964 HALVES MADE $40 ! ! ! SILVER WAS 8 DOLLARS AN OUNCE . 2 YEARS AGO TRIED AGAIN........$ 100 DOLLARS.......... 1 ROLL OF WALKERS ...1 ROLL BENS ....1 ROLL 1964 ....1 ROLL40% ! ! ! ! ! !ABOUT $ 350 PAYDAY TODAY WOULD BE WELL OVER $700 ! ! ! HARD NOW ....$5000 IN HALVES SKUNK.....BUT THERES ALWAYS THAT NEXT ROLL....THAT NEXT BANK ! ! ! ! ! !

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Newsman,
This is a sickness but for some it has paid off and for others they got bit by the bug once and keep waiting for that same high. Your experience and response I liken to what the majority of people who hear about this hobbie will do. They may give it a shot and find that it is harder than just opening up a few rolls from your local bank and then give up. That is exactly what guys like myself hope for and count on. Over the years I have spent plenty of time on road trips and paying for gas but I almost always came back well ahead. Some might say time is money and they are right in a sense but I guess it depends on perspective. I loved the adventure and visiting the small towns around the mid-atlantic. Heck if I could do this full time I would. Love the thrill of the hunt! Good luck to you and to those that share my sentiment...Happy Hunting.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread