1942 Nickel with no mint mark

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I found a 1942 nickel in change. It is dull gray. However, there is no mint mark over the Monticello. As I understand, this means it is not a silver nickel? (i.e. pre October 8, 1942)

I think regardless it's worth hanging onto since it's 70 years old and in pretty decent shape.

I assume it's one of the 1942 "Type 1" listed here? But what's the difference in the two? It looks like Type 1 just means there is no "P" mint mark.
http://www.pcgs.com/Prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&SP=1&c=84&title=Jefferson+Nickel

Thanks

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is no P, D, or S over the dome on the reverse, it is not silver. (unless its some super rare error missing the mintmark.) I keep all the nicks I find that are before 1960 and throw them in a giant Sunny D bottle. Some day they will be worth 6 cents.

HH
BB

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
like bb said only nics with the big mm above the dome are silver. In '42 they made P & S coins with the big mm's which are silver and the no mm and D 42's with the regular size mm at 3 o'clock near the rim are just regular copper/nickel nic's but still worth keepin'. The '42D's have a low mintage of just 13,938,000 too - but still not as good as finding a silver one though.

Good luck & HH!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
baddbluff said:
If there is no P, D, or S over the dome on the reverse, it is not silver. (unless its some super rare error missing the mintmark.) I keep all the nicks I find that are before 1960 and throw them in a giant Sunny D bottle. Some day they will be worth 6 cents.

HH
BB

They already are for melt value, however, it is illegal to melt them.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably type I unless it is on a silver/manganese planchet with Type I strikes - ultra rare error? lol

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no silver if there is no large mint mark above the monticello. in 1942 they made:
1942(p)- no mintmark- non-silver
1942-d(small mintmark)- not silver, semi-key date
all the others that have the mintmark above the dome is silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread