Speed Searching

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long does it take you to edge-search a box of halves?

I timed one today from cracking open the box to tossing empty cardboard in the trash...

7 minutes and 51 seconds.

I think that's pretty quick. My secret is to take the can opener blade from my Swiss Army knife and clip the top of each roll really fast while they are still in the box - all 50 rolls. Then I pull them one at a time and the paper peels straight through and comes right off. I am pretty sure I could pickup, search, and dump 8 boxes in my car in about 3 hours.

HH
BB

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
baddbluff said:
How long does it take you to edge-search a box of halves?

I timed one today from cracking open the box to tossing empty cardboard in the trash...

7 minutes and 51 seconds.

I think that's pretty quick. My secret is to take the can opener blade from my Swiss Army knife and clip the top of each roll really fast while they are still in the box - all 50 rolls. Then I pull them one at a time and the paper peels straight through and comes right off. I am pretty sure I could pickup, search, and dump 8 boxes in my car in about 3 hours.

HH
BB

I can do a $1000 bag in about 20 minutes. I edge check and then clank check before I toss. I dont want to miss anything, there have been a number of sneaky 40% halves that I have come across.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
The fastest way for me...I stand in front of my kitchen counter, and crack them on the sharp edge like eggs..
You can BLOW through a box like that.. lol

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
8 mins, 13 mins, 15 mins... who cares?
Some of you on here that talk about being fast with your coins but yet you are willing to drive all around your area trying to find coins?
Seems like you have your priorities all wrong-

I enjoy opening my boxes, I check them in about 12-13 mins/box. Can open my 8 boxes from my LOCAL bank faster than some of you can drive even a small part of your 30+ bank runs.
To each their own-
N8

Not calling you out BB. Just food for thought for some of the searchers on here(not you BB).

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fastest way for me...I stand in front of my kitchen counter, and crack them on the sharp edge like eggs..
You can BLOW through a box like that.. lol

you must be renting.

I'm sure it works but ouch for the counter top.

I take an old semi-dull serrated knife (like a cheap steak knife) and push through one side of the crimp and them lift it up and back, it rips the entire crimp off. I do this for all 50 rolls then do 10 rolls at a time for the layout and then dump them in the bag. 8-10 minutes is pretty standard until i get distracted. Can power through a couple at ~6 minutes but its not fun I like to look a little!

F

Farchaus2k

Just did a box in 6 minutes 35 seconds and 14 milliseconds.
BAM!!!!

What's even more impressive is that I did it in the trunk of my car by sound only.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Box speed depends upon light if you are doing it in a vehicle.

If you go very fast you have to wonder whether you miss any.

Keep on Rollin' !

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, N8... when I am at home, I too like to take it slow w/my boxes. It's a great stress reliever. And you have to savor those silver rims when you find them. But when I am on the road, I like to power search and get through as many as possible. I also have found that statistically, I do much better with CRWs than I do with boxes. I am only averaging about 2 silvers/box (when you throw in all the skunks) for the last 6 months or so. However, per $500 in CWRs, I am finding about 6, and a much better 90-40 ratio. And my best finds have come from CWRs. Never found a solid silver roll in a box. I think all those people who drive all over town or do road trips do spend more time doin it, but I guarantee you they are finding more silver than they do (on average) in boxes.

HH folks.
BB

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my boxes i do while driving. It takes about 15 to 20 min the light makes a big difference.

F

Farchaus2k

Searching while driving?? Seriously?? That's amazingly dangerous and irresponsible.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Farchaus2k said:
Searching while driving?? Seriously?? That's amazingly dangerous and irresponsible.
Agreed- We have enough bad drivers out there to begin with. A car is a dangerous tool---

Do not add CRH to the list of bad drivers(which includes)

Those on phone
Asians
Women
Prius drivers
and those who think their civic is fast-

N8

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
n8dagr8345 said:
Farchaus2k said:
Agreed- We have enough bad drivers out there to begin with. A car is a dangerous tool---

Do not add CRH to the list of bad drivers(which includes)

Those on phone
Asians
Women
Prius drivers
and those who think their civic is fast-

N8

Some are fast

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread