After 4 boxes from hell -Box 5

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Man.. you really hit those dime boxes hard.. how many boxes do you generally do per week? Looks like your last box made up for some of those skunks. Kind of reminds me of halves boxes.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grats on your finds but you need to get some cojones...4 skunks is par for the course!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on the finds. Where those $500 boxes?

I haven't been having much luck with dime boxes lately myself but I had a little luck with some cw dimes this week and I even tried my luck with dumping dimes at a coin counter yesterday and to my surprise I didn't have any problems.

OP
OP
S

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
SFBayArea said:
Man.. you really hit those dime boxes hard.. how many boxes do you generally do per week? Looks like your last box made up for some of those skunks. Kind of reminds me of halves boxes.
Ive done as many as 7 per day but average 15 -20 per week what limits me more than anything is dumping as Ive POed plenty of banks after only a few dumps Im currently only doing 2-3 per day due to work hour changes and constantly changing work schedule. To answer the other posters question these are all $500 clear wrap boxes

OP
OP
S

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Bigheed said:
grats on your finds but you need to get some cojones...4 skunks is par for the course!
I know but after last week I got pretty spoiled

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
SFBayArea said:
Ive done as many as 7 per day but average 15 -20 per week what limits me more than anything is dumping as Ive POed plenty of banks after only a few dumps Im currently only doing 2-3 per day due to work hour changes and constantly changing work schedule. To answer the other posters question these are all $500 clear wrap boxes

Man that's a lot.. LOL
Do the banks usually end up shipping off your dumps? Do you have to ask them to order dimes? I know every bank has a few boxes in stock. You're the monster dime searcher here. LOL
The part that always stops me from doing it is that I just feel bad if banks have to ship off extra dumps in these clear wrappers. I feel like it's just a waste and I'm creating extra work or burden on them. I guess I just try to maintain a lower profile and always try to do a swap. Like "Frank" in Scarface. LOL

OP
OP
S

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
One of my recent good score banks has just limited me to 2 boxes a week The teller says she will order them for me. A couple of others will ship them out for me as long as I bag them up and write all the info on the bag ( bad part its BofA and Im probably eventually getting this crap back) A few other good banks I know the tellers change regularly so I try to make myself as unfamiliar a face as possible Im thinking of adopting disguises if thats what it takes to find silver. I want to strike heavy and hard before the cursed 2012s hit the shelves

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
One of my recent good score banks has just limited me to 2 boxes a week The teller says she will order them for me. A couple of others will ship them out for me as long as I bag them up and write all the info on the bag ( bad part its BofA and Im probably eventually getting this crap back) A few other good banks I know the tellers change regularly so I try to make myself as unfamiliar a face as possible Im thinking of adopting disguises if thats what it takes to find silver. I want to strike heavy and hard before the cursed 2012s hit the shelves

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting to know the tellers there well. Building good rapport is important. My rapport now is that I always do a swap. I try to rotate banks too. They get to know you after a while and trust you. They no longer need to ship them out and will just swap it which is always best. Of course when I go to new areas, some are not as friendly. They've told me stories about people inserting pennies into dime rolls and getting burned by them before. Most of the ones around my area trust me and so it's ok if I swap out with them once a week. I try to rotate it so they don't get too annoyed. I might even wait a few weeks on some that don't do go through high volumes in coins.

OP
OP
S

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Most of the banks know I collect coins I might have to try that approach with a few of them. ( I have a few that let me do this ) I just try to avoid being seen as another Pain in the a** coin collector

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
Most of the banks know I collect coins I might have to try that approach with a few of them. ( I have a few that let me do this ) I just try to avoid being seen as another Pain in the a** coin collector

Haha.. yeah I know what you mean. I just think that the swap is good because it keeps dumps out of the stream. I remember my numbers in last December were just terrible. I've never seen anything like it. Out of 9 boxes I did in December, I got one Merc. Numbers on dimes have gotten better since but I wondered if there was a huge dumpage toward the end of last year into the stream. I don't know but just speculating.

What also helps me sell the swap is that I always have my scale with me so they know that I'm into checking for accuracy. Don't want to get shorted on dimes which is common. I weigh them there. I'll bring the rolls that are short and with the foreign crap back to them so they know that the rolls are not perfect. I've actually done swaps at banks I don't even visit often before too. I just say "I'm a collector and I wanted to swap a box of dimes for a box of dimes." If they ask what's wrong with the ones I'm bringing in, I just say "Nothing, there's just nothing collectible there. They're regular dimes". They ask, "did you go through them?" I just say, "No, I can tell from just looking at the plastic if there's something there." I'm pretty honest with them. Some might ask for more and I've even mentioned Ag. too. It doesn't even matter since I'm trying to get a sealed box. They have no control over the contents of a sealed box.

Some banks might have to actually count the rolls so if I know that's what they do, I just will have them rubber banded ahead of time into groups of $50 so they can count them easily. I'm so used to swapping now that's all I'll do. Some get used to me and basically don't count them and just visually inspect it quickly and accept it. They know that so since I keep returning and that I tell them that I want to keep returning that I have to be honest with it. I benefit in the long run from this and it's not worth it for me to short them. They've never had complaints from the dimes I turn in and yeah, I keep it on the down low and keep it going. I just try to make it easy for them. If they have to ship it out, it's a hassle too. They gotta bag it and fill out paper work, etc. Swaps are easier. They know they'd prefer to just hand them to merchants. It's win-win.

However, there's no way one could do a large quantity swap with paper wrappers. Clear wrap only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread