Finally broke a 12 box skunk streak *pics*

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Finally broke a 12 box half skunk streak. 2 boxes today yielded only 1 silver, a 53D Franklin, but I'm not complaining. Also got a 92 proof, and this...

DSC04242.JPG

a 1971 20 Centavos piece! Isn't that cool!!!

;D

Well, ok, maybe that by itself isn't that cool, but the manner in which I found it was. Found a 1999 Kennedy half that clunked instead of clinked. Figured I probably had a magician's coin, but couldn't for the life of me find the seams, even under 10x magnification. Finally, despite misgivings, I used the glass bottle trick, and sure enough, it popped open. Probably the best machining job I've seen in my life! :headbang:

Pics below for those interested...

DSC04243.JPG

DSC04245.JPG

DSC04246.JPG

DSC04250.JPG

and the silver that broke the streak...

DSC04247.JPG
DSC04248.JPG

I'm on cloud 9, great way to head into President's Day. Everybody remember to stock up for Monday! :wink:

HH!

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
pretty cool mag. coin - never seen one that new. The one I have that opens up is from the '70's with a '67 UK penny inside. Congrtats on being able to find it too. I've probably missed a few (I would guess) by just not spotting them.

And at least Chase bank is open Mon. - I've got 2 half boxes to p/u from one branch on Mon.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
What is the glass bottle trick

The glass bottle trick opens up a magician's coin. You first freeze the coin, and then you shake it in a glass bottle.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a lot of 20 centavos coins, but none of them are near this good as far as the condition.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
sagittarius98 said:
I have a lot of 20 centavos coins, but none of them are near this good as far as the condition.

What I can't figure out is how they made it. It's a 20 Centavos on one side, and the back of a half dollar on the other, seemingly cut from the coin. Fascinating!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
that's the way all these types of magician coins are made - except I think most like mine have a UK penny on the other side. I had never seem one before either till I found one last year. Mine is a '74 Ken with a '67 UK penny on the other side. But the one you have looks to be in really nice cond.

I found an '81P double sided Ken a week ago Fri and I have a double sided rev Ken I found last year and I haven't opened them up and I'm not sure if they do. I haven't tried the bottle trick yet to find out for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions