Depressing

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called a small, local bank today that I had driven by numerous times but had never gone in.

The call goes like this:

Me: Do you by chance have any half dollars?
Teller: Let me ask the tellers, give me a second.
*classy elevator music*
Teller: Yes, we have half dollars.
Me: Do you need an account to purchase the half dollars?
Teller: No, it shouldn't be a problem.
Me: That's great, how many do you have?
Teller: Alot.
Me: I will be there in ten minutes!

I arrive at the bank and tell the teller that I called earlier about the half dollars. She proceeds to take out $150 of customer rolled halves out of a mini vault. I salivate at the sight of them. I hand over two crisp Benjamins and she's about to hand them to me, when she says, "Wait, let me call my manager to make sure this is okay with her." She gives her a call and she keeps calling the half dollars, half quarters :laughing7:. After she hung up she told me she can't give them to me unless I have an account. My heart sinks. She said something about how I need to have an account for audit purposes. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

What could have been in the rolls?
Solid 40%ers? :dontknow:
Solid '64s? :dontknow:
Solid Walkers, Bens? :dontknow:
or perhaps solid bicentennials :laughing7:?

I might never know.

HH,
ThatCopperSound

Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Why wouldnt you just find out what the quickest easiest way to open an account is???? and then do that???

That is what I would have done, and if I didnt want an account there, I would have called all the other banks close enough to me, asked if they had halves, and when I got what they had, I would have closed account...

EAsy

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
2 fixes come to mind:

1 - open an account, buy the halves, then use the bank either as dump or supply till they cut you off.
2 - go back later and get a different teller, preferably the one you spoke with on the phone.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Why couldn't you have opened an account with the $200 you had then withdraw the $150 in halves they had from your brand new account?

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
That has happened to me, I will always open an account.

Whichever account has the lowest min to avoid fees.

If my city I have around 10 accounts in various banks and credit unions.
Some of them have balances in the $1-10 range, some I keep $200-$300. However little I can get away with to avoid fees.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Don't know if it's worth it to open another account just to get $150 worth of halves unless the rolls look old of course. But you never know. I would only do it if I plan on using that bank in the future for CRHing or actual banking activities. Otherwise, could be a lot of work for a bunch of possible skunks.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT STATE ???? MAYBE 1 OF US HAS AN ACCOUNT !!!!!! LOL !!!!!! U MIGHT HAVE LET 15 ROLLS OF 90% WALK............ROLLS OF WALKERS.......BENS...........MAYBE A BARBER OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 !!!!!! SOME 90 YEAR OLD LADY COULD OF BEEN HOLDING ON TO HER FATHERS ROLLS FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS SINCE HE PAST AWAY AND NOW NEEDS GAS MONEY !!!!!! MY ONE CREDIT UNION TOLD ME LAST MONTH .....ROSIE ( LITTLE OLD LADY ) CAME IN TO DUMP ABOUT 3K ( 4 TO 5 TRIPS ) FOR MONEY TO PAY TAXES AND ELECTRIC BILL....WELL WHEN THE TELLER TRIED TO HELP HER , SHE NOTICED ALL OF IT WAS SILVER.! ! ! ! ! TRIED TO TELL HER TO GO TO COIN SHOP......ROSIE DID NOT LISTEN SHE NEEDED TO MONEY YESTERDAY ! ! ! ! ! IT WAS A COIN MACHINE WITH A LOCKED BIN ...IT TOOK EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!
ROSIE MIGHT HAVE A SISTER IN YOUR TOWN WHO ROLLS INSTEAD !!!!!!!!!

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol huricanesrule ur intense brother :headbang:

and if it was me id just open the account right then and took the halves, wouldnt hurt having another bank u can go to down the road to get boxes of coin....

im gonna take ur idea tho about calling banks around my area and asking for halves lol never even thought of that i always just go in.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calling saves on gas and allows you to go further in less time without all the stops.haves are cut throat.......u could drive 50 miles down the road and find nothing then go a block away from home and find silver. timing is everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread